Can I get Ignite TV without also switching my internet?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gumby2
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Can I get Ignite TV without also switching my internet?

The fact is that Rogers is forcing people to switch and it is a play to get people onto its internet. There are lots of streaming services which do not require you to buy their internet - Netflix, Prime Video, Britbox, Acorn, GEM to name a few. The fact also is that Rogers has offered Rogers Anyplace TV for years and it could be accessed over any internet service (no technical problems were obvious to anyone who used it). You had to buy Cable to get it but if you had cable you got the service so Rogers is switching to more internet and requiring you to get their internet AND still selling their cable service. They chose October the 10th to cut off Anyplace TV  but there is no obvious reason other than financial gain why they could not have kept it going as long as they had cable services going.

On the licence question - yes some networks did force Rogers not to run them (MSNBC for example) but lots did not so from my perspective much choice remained.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gumby2  Back in 2015, VMedia tried to launch an independent OTT IPTV service.  Not surprisingly, Bell (with support from the other large vertically integrated media companies) tried to block this and the courts sided with them.  Until the CRTC makes a major policy decision/change, TV service providers are required to bundle IPTV with their own Internet service.

We are starting to see services such as StackTV and RiverTV emerge but, today, we cannot subscribe to Ignite TV independently of Ignite Internet or subscribe to Start TV if we are an Ignite Internet customer.

As for the imminent shutdown of Anyplace TV, this just appears to be the next step on the long, slow path to retiring Digital TV.

Gumby2
I've Been Here Awhile

OK - except they are not retiring cable service right away and could keep this service. It seems more about money than service - they see an opportunity to grow their internet service and also work towards squashing some of the smaller internet providers. Rogers makes enough money it could do something for its customers who have paid lots for their rogers services....

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gumby2 wrote:

OK - except they are not retiring cable service right away and could keep this service

Rogers makes enough money it could do something for its customers who have paid lots for their rogers services....

It is not quite that simple.  With Anyplace TV, Rogers has infrastructure in place that was built on a scale to service millions of Digital TV customers.  Now, they do not have anywhere close to that.  In addition to the costs of keeping that infrastructure powered up and cooled, there are other operational costs, licencing fees, maintenance and support fees for equipment, etc., and all that infrastructure is taking up valuable physical floor space in their data centres.

The most cost-effective and efficient way to shut down a large-scale service is to do it in phases, and Anyplace TV is a value-add, not an essential part of Digital TV.  And I am sure that Rogers also expects that this action will drive more remaining Digital TV customers to switch to Ignite TV.

I know that for some, this really stinks.  However, shutting down Anyplace TV is a pretty easy business decision to make, without any significant downside, and easy to justify to regulators, if required.

senordd
I Plan to Stick Around

You can probably get a better deal by bundling them instead of getting just TV from them. They also give better pricing to people on Ignite vs the legacy hardware because they want as many people as possible on the new equipment. You also can’t ever switch back to the old equipment if you decide to upgrade to Ignite.