Can I get Ignite TV without also switching my internet?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Can I get Ignite TV without also switching my internet?

I was on chat tonight trying to see if I could get a better price on my cable.  The only thing I was offered was Ignite TV.  In poking around the web site, it seems this is only offered in a bundle with internet.  Is this the case?

***Edited Labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Can I get Ignite TV without also switching my internet?

@slb260 wrote:

I was on chat tonight trying to see if I could get a better price on my cable.  The only thing I was offered was Ignite TV.  In poking around the web site, it seems this is only offered in a bundle with internet.  Is this the case?

Yes, that is correct.  Ignite TV requires an Internet service and is only available in a bundle with Ignite Internet.

I Plan to Stick Around

So basically they want to force you to use their internet.  I already have internet from another company that I am happy with, so I'm stuck with the cable and price I have then, I guess.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to note, if you wanted Bell Fibe TV, then you would have to run Bell's internet, same for any other large incumbent or any of the TPIA TV services.  That appears to be an industry standard practice.  Not defending Rogers here, but, it appears to be a common practice.  The only exception that I know of is RiverTV by Vmedia and that's due to how their internet TV service is classed.  I haven't paid enough attention to it to tell you why Vmedia can offer TV services over other carrier's internet systems.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@slb260 wrote:

So basically they want to force you to use their internet.  I already have internet from another company that I am happy with, so I'm stuck with the cable and price I have then, I guess.

Basically, yes, but force is a bit of a strong word.  There are both technical and legal reasons why the current situation is the way that it is.

Ignite TV is a streaming service, and it technically probably could work okay if your Internet provider has a good-enough connection to Rogers, but Rogers also could never support such a configuration if/when you run into problems.  Furthermore, the Ignite modem and set-top boxes (and all the other related components) are all designed to work together as an integrated solution.

As for the legal reasons, many channel owners put clauses into the licence contracts that require their content be distributed over a "closed network", which prevents Rogers from streaming those channels over any non-Rogers network.  There are some channels that I absolutely cannot watch on the Ignite TV mobile app (due to content rights restrictions) if I am connected to a non-Rogers network.

Ignite TV also integrates with other streaming services... so it was designed, pretty much right from the start, to be delivered as an add-on to an existing unlimited Ignite Internet service.

As @Datalink  mentioned, there are a few providers out there (Amazon also has various optional channel subscriptions that they can sell you to augment Prime Video) that can legally stream channels over the Internet, regardless of your Internet provider, because they were able to obtain the rights to do so but your channel options are very limited.  Some channel owners also stream their own content directly.

I already have internet from another company that I am happy with, so I'm stuck with the cable and price I have then, I guess.

I understand your situation.  I actually know more than a few people who have had Rogers Cable TV for decades along with Bell Internet and Home Phone, and cannot change their Internet provider because they either cannot or do not want to change their email address, and are perfectly happy with all of the services that they currently have.  However, there will also come a day when Rogers Digital Cable will literally shut down and go off the air, and you will need to look at other options before that happens.

So... until there are substantial changes to how content ownership and licensing works in Canada and how the television industry itself is regulated, we are all stuck with the situation that we currently have now.  The irony is that Rogers is both part of the problem and a victim, all at the same time.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

Just to note, if you wanted Bell Fibe TV, then you would have to run Bell's internet...

You can get Bell Fibe as a "zero rated internet" TV service. However, the pricing (and usability - Apps, etc.) is such that it's not typically worth it.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/fibe-tv-now-available-as-a-standalone-tv-service.265369/

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks. That's very informative. What you said about the internet provider is bang on - I've been with them for decades, and have an email address specifically with them. That provider does offer tv services now, so I may have to switch over to them, if cable disappears.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

@Datalink wrote:

Just to note, if you wanted Bell Fibe TV, then you would have to run Bell's internet...

You can get Bell Fibe as a "zero rated internet" TV service. However, the pricing (and usability - Apps, etc.) is such that it's not typically worth it.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/fibe-tv-now-available-as-a-standalone-tv-service.265369/

That is so true.  Back when I was a Fibe TV customer, I was in a situation where Bell could barely provide me with enough bandwidth for their TV service and it made my blood boil to pay an exorbitant monthly fee for Internet (that kept rising on a regular basis)  for a service that was essentially unusable.  (and Rogers had serious problems delivering Digital Cable in my area.)  Bell really, REALLY did not want me to switch away from Fibe TV, not even to satellite.  Strange as it may sound, it actually ended up being more expensive for me to switch to a standalone Fibe TV service (with no Internet) because my bundle discounts would all drop off.

The bottom line is that it pretty much costs an IPTV service provider the same amount to deliver their TV service regardless of whether or not you use their Internet service, so they cannot offer a standalone TV service competitively when that service can only be delivered over their network.

It will be very interesting to see if the current market situation forces changes to how we currently obtain TV services, driven by channels disappearing, with less and less compelling content on conventional broadcast TV, and how the channel packages themselves are currently priced and structured.  I am almost at the tipping point where I can get all the content that I want to watch (and at a higher quality) on streaming services (that I already pay for) or over-the-air (for free) and it doesn't make sense to spend money for an increasing number of TV channels that I have no interest in watching.

I Plan to Stick Around

@-G-   I think I am in the same boat.  Most of my time is spent watching Netflix, Prime, and Youtube.  I have found that CraveTv hasn't really had much that peaks my interest so I may cancel it soon.  I thought I would miss live sports, but strangely I am not.  I have found that I am paying for a lot of channels on Ignite TV that I have no interest in, and never watch.  I am getting tired of hearing that Rogers may be losing channels due to contract negotiations (especially the whole AMC saga) - so I might as well just pay for the streaming services/channels I want.  Time will tell.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jjjjy7  Thanks.  I totally agree, and I apologize for pushing this thread off-topic a bit after the original question had already been answered.

For anyone who wishes to continue the discussion concerning how the Ignite TV packages are structured and what they do and do not like about Rogers' current offerings, there's another thread in the Ignite TV section that you might be interested in:  https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Changes-to-Ignite-TV-Channels-in-Packages-and-Theme-...