cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bluetooth Audio Delay

Michael_O
I've been here awhile

Wasn't able to see this on the site. Whenever I connect a bluetooth device (bluetooth headset), it works fine initially and then after 20 min or so, there is a delay between audio and TV picture. Over time, the delay becomes very long (eg. 30 sec) out of sync with the picture. To fix it, I have to turn off the headset and turn it back on. The same thing happens with multiple types of headsets & bluetooth speakers I've used and on multiple ignite boxes I have.

Any suggestions?

*** Edited Labels ***

19 REPLIES 19

Re: Bluetooth Audio Delay

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What is the BT spec on the device. If it's 5.0, then you shouldn't get much delay. If it's 4.1 or 4.2, then a delay is certainly possible. You may wish to research Bluetooth delay and specifications on the internet.  If the audio is not delayed on your TV itself, then this is not a Rogers issue.

What about using your BT devices with say an iPhone or similar?

Michael_O
I've been here awhile
Yes. It is definitely a rogers ignite issue as the headphones work perfect with iPhone and tablets. The TV is sync'd properly but if you wear the headphone for 20 min or so connected to the ignite box, there will be an audio delay of up to 40 sec. I can change channels and it is still audio from the previously channel. It is really strange. If I shut off the bluetooth headphone/speaker (I've used multiple devices to test it) and restart, it syncs right back up. Same thing happens on all 3 of my Ignite boxes

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1. What version of BT is the device?

2. What is the make/model of the device?  How is the device connected to Rogers box?  They only have one HDMI output which usually goes directly to the TV or an AVR?

3.  Have you tried connecting the BT device to the TV's optical output (turning off the TV's internal speakers) if that's possible with the device?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

2. What is the make/model of the device?  How is the device connected to Rogers box?  They only have one HDMI output which usually goes directly to the TV or an AVR?

The Ignite TV set-top boxes can be paired with a Bluetooth audio device: https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/how-to-use-bluetooth-on-ignite-tv

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-G- Thanks for that information.  I was not aware of that option.  If this is what's being used, the BT device may not be "self correcting" with the Rogers IgniteTV box properly.  I believe that many devices "talk to each other occasionally" to ensure that sync is in place, etc.  Again I ask though what is the make/model of the device and what is the BT version - 4.1, 4.2, 5.0?  Different versions may have different capabilities - I know they do in terms of delay.

What happens when you're not viewing live, but rather a recording?  What happens when you pause a recording or FF and come back to "play". When you hit "play" it should "self correct"?

glen1755
I've been around
Brutal - just absolutely brutal. Constantly falls out of sync. This NEVER happens with iPhone or other apps, but a constant problem with Rogers. We get what we pay for....

Hello @glen1755,

Congratulations on your first post and welcome to the Community. 

Experiencing audio delays can certainly be annoying, we'd like to troubleshoot the issue with you. 
Can you answer some questions concerning the issue, as mentioned in a previous post by @57

• What version of Bluetooth is the device?
  • What is the make/model of the device?  How is it connected to the Rogers box?  
  • Have you tried connecting the Bluetooth device to the TV's optical output (turning off the TV's internal speakers) if that's possible with the device?

Looking forward to your reply. 

RogersRob

I’m having the same issues. Sigh. Very frustrating. Trying to find a solution also.

Good evening @Bobbi1977,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums.

We'll try our best to assist you with the issues you're experiencing with the Bluetooth audio delay. I'm assuming the device in question is connected to the Ignite TV set top box. Can you please confirm the following:

• What is the make/model of the device?
  • What version of Bluetooth is the device?
  • Do you notice a delay in audio when you connect your Bluetooth device to other devices?

Just need a little bit more info to assist you further. 

RogersZia

Hello it says ignite 150u. ? Lol.

It is just when pairing to the Ignite boxes I have a problem. I’ve tried two sets of Apple AirPods, 2 Wireless Bose and two sets of Beats wireless. 6 different kinds. It’s definitely the Ignite. I have no issues pairing them to other things. It can start ok and then quickly starts to lose sync. It’s been like it for months now. I rely on them so I can watch tv and not wake my husband at night… very frustrating.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Bobbi1977 wrote:
It is just when pairing to the Ignite boxes I have a problem. I’ve tried two sets of Apple AirPods, 2 Wireless Bose and two sets of Beats wireless. 6 different kinds. It’s definitely the Ignite. I have no issues pairing them to other things. It can start ok and then quickly starts to lose sync. It’s been like it for months now. I rely on them so I can watch tv and not wake my husband at night… very frustrating.

I'm not a Bluetooth headphone user so, unfortunately, I cannot personally recommend any products that are known to work.  Unfortunately, some Bluetooth chipsets simply do not work well together, and the Internet is filled with reports of audio and video getting out of sync with practically every kind of device out there.

Bluetooth works fine with audio, where any lag or latency is not noticeable, but video is a toss-up.  Even buyer's guides, that list the best Bluetooth headphones, often qualify their recommendations with things like, "best for Apple users".  For example, Apple, Beats and Bose Bluetooth headphones and earbuds work well with iPhones; they pair easily, integrate fully, and with that level of compatibility, iOS devices can also compensate for Bluetooth latency so that they "just work", or appear to just work... but use another brand of untested/uncertified headphones or audio receivers and you are back to a situation where you may get annoying delay and out-of-sync video, with no way to fix it.

Out-of-sync audio/video is a common problem with the Comcast-designed set-top boxes, so much so that they even have an answer for this frequently asked question in their support article:

The audio is not synchronized with the video when I use my Bluetooth headphones. Is there anything I can do?

Your X1 TV Box or Flex streaming TV Box automatically makes adjustments to sync the audio and video, but some headphones are known to have compatibility issues. Occasionally, restarting your device can help. Typically, however, the best option is to try different headphones.

I have not found any web pages that list headphones that are known to work well with Rogers Ignite or Xfinity X1 set-top boxes.  Comcast does not list which products they test with.

However, one easy thing that you can try is go to "Settings / Device Settings / Audio" and change the HDMI Audio Output to Stereo.  This technically should not have any effect on Bluetooth audio but it does affect how the set-top box processes audio internally, so there is a chance that it could help with Bluetooth.

senordd
I plan to stick around
Not sure if you have this option, but try to sync to your TV instead of the Ignite box.

So, If I am using them to watch tv it’s usually ok. It’s the stuff that I’m watching that I’ve PVR’d that doesn’t ever sync up.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Bobbi1977 wrote:
So, If I am using them to watch tv it’s usually ok. It’s the stuff that I’m watching that I’ve PVR’d that doesn’t ever sync up.

That's interesting.  It has been reported and complained about that live TV streams and the content stored "in the cloud" (PVR and On-demand) are encoded differently, and the Ignite set-top box would also need to decode and process this content differently.

Is the audio on the recorded content ahead or lagging behind what you see on the screen?

When watching live TV, do you find that some channels or programs are consistently out of sync while others are not?

Also, is the all behaviour (correct and incorrect) consistent with all the headphones/earbuds that you have tried?

This may be a bit tedious but it may be possible for this to get fixed if you could document the circumstances where A/V is in sync and when it is not, and if the audio is ahead or behind the video that you see on-screen.  Please report it here so that others in the Community can confirm your findings, and please also share what programs you are watching/recording/testing with.  If others can confirm your findings, then the next step is to report this to Rogers, and the best (and easiest) way to do this is to send a private message to the @CommunityHelps  team.  They can then copy/paste the information that you send them directly into a support ticket and escalate it to the support teams internally.  (Don't contact Technical Support by telephone for stuff like this.  They're great people but critical details may not get logged into the ticket if the agent misunderstands and/or does not document all that you said accurately.)

Bobbi1977
I'm here a lot
The sound is lagged, not the video. It’s a lot of my reality tv (90 Day Fiancé stuff). Maybe it’s a sign? Lol

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Bobbi1977 wrote:
The sound is lagged, not the video. It’s a lot of my reality tv (90 Day Fiancé stuff). Maybe it’s a sign? Lol

I would suggest that you watch a program (that is known to be problematic) live and record it at the same time.  You can also play recorded content while it is being recorded.  If the live stream is fine but the recorded version is not, and everything is fine again when you go back to watching the live stream, then keep the recording on the cloud PVR and report this (including the time/channel that the program aired) to Rogers.

Bobbi1977
I'm here a lot
I’ll have to try that and test it out. I did try multiple Bluetooth devices with it (to answer your prior question). It’s definitely the box it seems.

deethebee
I've been around

Having the same issue. When connected via Nintendo switch no issues, connected to apple tv.. no issues... Gaming on PC no issues...

I'm using Sony WH1000XM4 Headphones that use Bluetooth 5.0... they're 400 dollar headphones, there's nothing wrong with them. It's something with the rogers box. I'm trying to watch live Baseball so recording it is not an option. It's 2022 connecting via Bluetooth is not asking for the moon... it's pretty standard at this point. I hope that engineers can get the next gen of these boxes to work properly with Bluetooth because the demand for isn't going to go away. 

starwatcher
I plan to stick around
I am having the same issue. I have tried 3 sets of headphones. BOSE, Samsung Galaxy Buds + and some no name Amazon pair. All worked without sync issues on windows laptops and android tablets.
But connected to built in Ignite box Bluetooth there is a minimum 5 second delay that just keep getting longer. I haven’t found recording to be different than live but I gave up after trying the 3rd pair of headphones. I now just use a tablet to watch from when using the headphones.
I don’t understand why Rogers is not taking this seriously enough to fix after a year of their customers complaining about it.
Topic Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 10 in conversation