Blocked from website after Ignite TV 150U modem installed

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Blocked from website after Ignite TV 150U modem installed

Let me start by saying I've had two upper level Rogers techs and the Ram Key tech who just spent an hour at my house trying to solve this with no luck. ETA: I have also ruled out any virus or malware on my devices. Last Friday I had my Rogers services 'upgraded' to Ignite TV.  Everything works great except immediately following the installation, I tried to access the forum at Primetimer (I was on the site when the installer tech arrived and it was working fine) and got this message:

403.JPG

This happened on all my devices which were on the wifi. Laptop, tablet and phone. If I switched to data on the tablet and phone, the site works fine. When the tech was here this afternoon, the same thing happened to him - he accessed the site on his phone, but as soon as he connected to my wifi, got this same message. He contacted Rogers to see if this was a known issue: it's not. The tech on the phone said he's been with Rogers five years and never saw this happen. Here's the kicker - while he was here, I tried the forum on my laptop and it came up! I was able to log in, read the boards, etc, but both my tablet, my phone and his phone still had the issue. It worked on my laptop for about 20 minutes - until I refreshed the page, and then the error came back and remains that way now. The forum says it is not on their side. The tech thought it might have something to do with all the Ignite modems IPs beginning with 10.0.0.1

I don't know if anyone will have any ideas for me. the tech suggested I ask anyone who has Ignite TV to maybe try accessing the forums while on wifi and see if they have an issue. I can access the website just fine, but as soon as I click on the forum, boom. If anyone is inclined to try, the website ishttps://www.primetimer.com/  and the forums button is on the upper right. I appreciate any and all assistance!

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Blocked from website after Ignite TV 150U modem installed

Just thought I would update: after many more calls with tech support and numerous attempts to fix things via settings, they sent another tech to replace the modem and it worked, immediately. No more blocked site. Everyone seems at a loss to explain it, but there you are!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted

Good evening @cfillion1,

That's an unusual error. I do have Ignite TV and I was able to access the website as well as the forums section while connected to WiFi. 

@Gdkitty would you be able to shine some light on why @cfillion1 is not able to access the website?

Any other Ignite TV users in the Community experience anything similar?

RogersZia

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@cfillion1 https://www.primetimer.com/works for me, as does the forum pages.  The first item that comes to mind is that the forum might be operating on its own server, with its own Intrusion Protection System (IPS).  For whatever reason, the IP address that you now have, due to the new modem, might be included in an automatic ban or lockout list.  If the forum server is operating as a separate entity, the site admin would have to specifically check both server's IP ban lists to see if your current IP address is on either ban list. 

The other items that come to mind is a dns cache error, both in the modem and in the pc.  I don't believe that you would be able to clear the modem's dnsmasq dns cache by your self.  I suspect that running a factory reset for the modem is probably the only way that an end user can do that. 

For a pc, you can run the following command at a command prompt:  ipconfig /flushdns

After that is complete, reboot the pc.  

Beyond the modem reset and dns flush, the only other item I can think of is the use of a blocker add-on for a pc.  That might interfere with links to follow-on pages.  Do you happen to have any other web browsers loaded that you can try?  If so, give those a try.  

After that I'm temporarily stumped.  Only other suggestion at this point is to swap modems which will result in a different IP address.  There are two XB6 modems that are used for the Ignite TV service, an Arris TG-3482ER and Technicolor CGM-4140.  The Arris TG-3482ER is an Intel Puma 7 modem, the Technicolor CGM-4140 is a Broadcom BCM-3390 modem.  My choice would be the Technicolor CGM-4140.  

What modem do you currently have?  

Personally I'd call the Ignite TV concierge and arrange for a modem model swap, ie the other modem model.  If that resolves the issue, then either your current modem is either corrupting the requested address or the IP is locked out by the forum servers IPS.  If that doesn't resolve the issue, then possibly the forum software has been updated which is causing problems, or, there is some issue with your browser and any blockers which might be loaded. 

Fwiw, the site and its forum is hosted on Amazon Cloudfront - Amazon Web Services, and the rejection is blocked by Cloudfront.  So, its possible that the site and its forum doesn't have control over the IP address blocking.  

To check for an IP address block, go here:    https://www.dnsbl.info/

Run the "Check this IP" function just to see if your IP address shows up on any of the lists. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Wow that is a lot of great information, thank you so much. I have already shut down for the night but I will try those options tomorrow. Ironically, the reason the Rogers tech was here today was to switch out the modem. But when he got here and saw what the problem was he was certain that changing the modem wouldn't fix it. I don't know if they would send him again now. But I will try your suggestions first and go from there. Thanks so much.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As you change modems, keep track of your modem's WAN IP address, which is the external IP address.  And note what effect the change in external IP address has on the forum access.  My first thoughts are that you ended up with an IP address which is blocked by the server.  It might just be a matter of wrong place at the wrong time so to speak, and as a result, the new IP address may have belonged to another Rogers customer who was previously banned by Amazon Cloudfront.  Just plain bad luck in that case.  The modem's IP address is assigned by the Cable Modem Termination System, which controls the modem and provides data services to the connected modems.  Each CMTS has an IP address pool which is assigned to it, and those individual IP address are reassigned as required.  The IP address also depends to some extent on the MAC address of the modem or router when the modem is in Bridge mode, so, change the modem or router and you end up with a new IP address, ..... usually.  The exception would probably be on the rare occasion where the CMTS is very short of IP addresses.  

So, first step is to use the mentioned site to check your IP address to see if its blocked.  The site will detect your IP address automatically, just have to hit the check address function.  There may be other sites that will do the same check, but I haven't looked for those at this point. 

Hope this turns out to be an easy fix.  Usually in cases like this, as long as the modem is running in Gateway mode, which is its default operating mode, swapping the modem usually resolves the problem.  

Here's a couple more blacklist check sites:

https://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check

https://www.blacklistmaster.com

Don't be surprised to see your IP address show up in a couple of lists on each site.  That's nothing to panic about.  If the address shows up in a number of lists, then you probably have a problem IP address which has been banned due to the activities of its previous owner.  

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I really appreciate your detailed help, @Datalink I spent some time yesterday doing the things you suggested, including visiting the dnsbl site  (with one positive result) and doing the ipconfig/flushdns. The forums seem to work now when I access on my laptop using Firefox. It still won't work on my phone or my tablet if I am on wifi. For science, I tried with Chrome and Edge on my laptop and I still get the 403 error. I installed Firefox on both devices (currently using Chrome) and no joy. Oddly, on the tablet, when I went to primetimer.com and clicked on the forums link and it came up - but as soon as I clicked within the page to try a board, the error came up and continues to keep me blocked. I also cleared all cache from the devices, including entirely deleting and reinstalling the Chrome app.

Is it even possible that it's the modem since I have it working now on the laptop/Firefox? I'm so frustrated!!!

ETA: I just wonder if it can be my browsers, when I don't have the issue if connected to other wifi than my own. 😞

dnsbl.JPG

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Also, @Datalink  I tried the other two blacklist sites you linked for me. I don't know if this means anything, but the Blacklistmater site detected a different block than the dnsbl site.

blacklistmaster.JPG

Interestingly (?) as you said, the sites all detected my ip address, and both dnsbl and Blacklistmaster detected the same, normal looking address (99.243..... etc). The whatismyipaddress site detected a much different number, (2607:fea8:... etc) and when I clicked Check My IP Address, it says Please enter a valid IPv4 address. If I then copy and paste the same address that the other two detected, I get the same blocked site as dnsbl.

whatismy.JPG

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi @cfillion1ok here's another couple of ideas.

1.  Log into the modem and navigate to the GATEWAY .... FIREWALL ... IPV6 tab.  See if there is an IPV6 disable which will turn off IPV6 all-together.  Don't disable the IPV6 firewall.  That should remain in operation.  I don't know if there is an enable / disable function for IPV6 in that modem, and, if there is such a function in the modem, it might be in some other tab.  So, you might have to explore the various tabs.  Maybe @Gdkitty or one of the mods @CommunityHelps can indicate if IPV6 can be disabled in the XB6 modem and if so, where that enable/disable function is located.  

2.  One other suggestion is to change the Domain Name Server in the modem.  I don't have that modem so I'm not sure where that is located.  Once again, maybe @Gdkitty or one of the mods @CommunityHelps can indicate where that DNS entry is located.  If you haven't already changed it, the modem will be using the Rogers DNS.  You could try Quad 9, Google, OpenDNS or other DNS providers of your choice.  Here's the DNS IP addresses for those providers:

Quad 9:  note for these DNS addresses, QUAD 9 limits its actions solely to the blocking of malicious domains around phishing, malware, and exploit kit domains with these addresses (referred to as secure addresses).  Quad 9 doesn't filter content based on the content type.  OpenDNS can filter for content type if you sign up for a freebie account.  There are also unsecured QUAD 9 DNS addresses available as well which are not filtered for malicious sites. 

Secure IPV4 Primary         9.9.9.9             Security blocklist, DNSSEC, No EDNS Client-Subnet
Secure IPV4 Secondary   149.112.112.112  Security blocklist, DNSSEC, No EDNS Client-Subnet

Secure IPv6 Primary:       2620:fe::fe        Blocklist, DNSSEC, No EDNS Client-Subnet

Secure IPv6 Secondary: 2620:fe::9         Blocklist, DNSSEC, No EDNS Client-Subnet

Google:  

IPV4 Primary 8.8.8.8
IPV4 Secondary 8.8.4.4

IPv6 Primary           2001:4860:4860::8888
IPv6 Secondary     2001:4860:4860::8844

OpenDNS;

IPV4 Primary          208.67.222.222
IPV4 Secondary    208.67.220.220

IPv6 Primary         2620:0:ccc::2
IPv6 Secondary    2620:0:ccd::2

2.  Failing all of that, disable IPV6 in the pc for test purposes.  Right click on the internet symbol in the lower right hand task bar.  Select "Open Network & Internet Settings".  That will bring up the associated panel.  Select "Change Adapter Options" which will bring up the network Connections.  Select "Properties" which will or should bring up a prompt for the Admin PIN code or password for your pc.  That will eventually bring up the Ethernet Status and Ethernet Properties panels.  On the Ethernet Properties panel, scroll down to the Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) selection.  Deselect that option for IPv6.  Hit Ok and then reboot the pc.  Run a site test after the reboot to see if disabling IPV6 has had a positive effect.  If yes, success:)  If no ..... grrrrrr 😞  Go back down the same path to reenable IPV6 and reboot the pc if you want to start using IPV6 immediately.  That will take effect on the next reboot, whenever that occurs.  

Can you look at the bottom of the modem and let me know which modem you have, the Arris or Technicolor modem? 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi @Datalink  Again, many thanks for all your efforts here. I really appreciate it! I will try the last suggestion about testing the IVP6 right now (when I finish typing this 🙂 ). I don't see any name on the modem at all.  It has 'Network Name (SSID) EasyConnect05950' and then a PIN and some other id numbers. Does that help? I took a photo of it, just not sure if it's info that should be public or not?

ETA: I tried the IVP6 uncheck on my laptop - now I can't get on the site with the laptop again either. Oh boy, lol.

One question about changing the Domain Name Server. I'm not 100% clear on the different names of these things, but the RamKey guy was logged into the modem and thought about changing something but thought he would have to reprogram the tv boxes if he did?

I went to the Firewall/IVP6 tab - this is what I see:

firewall.JPG

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi @cfillion1 , that IPV6 firewall tab looks like the version that I have seen previously.  I was thinking that perhaps it had changed over time, but, nope, it looks the same.  

If there is an IPV6 enable / disable function its probably buried somewhere in the main Connection tab.  On the Hitron modem for example, there is a selection for Gateway operation which is labelled IPV4/IPV6/DUAL.  Typically this setting is set to DUAL, which runs both IPV4 and IPV6.  Setting this to IPV4 only runs the modem in IPV4 IP addressing only.  IPV6 is disabled.  Can you have a look thru the Connection tab to see if there's any setting that resembles this.  Its possible that there's no way to disable IPV6 with that modem.  I was hoping that forcing the modem into IPV4 only mode might resolve this.  Can you have a look and see what you find, or not 😞

In theory, changing the DNS IP addresses shouldn't cause any issue, but, in the event that it does, you can or should be able to delete any DNS entries, save the data and then reboot the modem to return to square one.  Once again, I'm making an assumption here that there is a set of DNS entry windows which allow the user to change the DNS provider that is used by the modem.  Maybe I'm assuming too much with this modem.  Once again, you might have to explore the Connection tab to see if there is a Manual DNS setting function.  You might have to select Manual mode to display the DNS entry fields.  

For your laptop, disabling IPV6 and rebooting the laptop should not result in a lockout of any site except for those which are IPV6 only.  The laptop or any other device should operate without any issue by using the remaining IPV4 DNS provider.  With IPV6 available, windows will look for IPV6 paths first, including the DNS provider as far as I know.  If disabling IPV6 causes problems for IPV4 sites, that says to me that the IPV4 DNS isn't operating as it should.  That could be caused by the IPV4 DNS provider, or problems accessing the IPV4 DNS provider.  If you haven't changed anything with the DNS IP addresses, that DNS provider should be the Rogers Domain Name Servers.  

Time to think about this a little further 😞   This should be pretty simple ......