cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Band Steering on XB6 Modem Causing Issues for 2.4 GHz Devices

ramjetejmar
I'm here a lot

I have upgraded my internet service and a new Modem (Ignite WiFi Gateway) was installed.

Over the past month, I have installed some devices on my Wi-Fi network using the Echo Plus. With some of the plugs, I encountered an issue with the compatibility of the device and the Modem having to do with the dual networks (2.4GHz and 5GHz). I went to 10.0.0.1 to find out the names

It appears that the two Networks have in part the same name. However, anything after that is beyond my understanding of this system.

My understanding was that the appropriate network would be assigned to a new device automatically. With some research, I was able to find a go around and install some of the devices.

I am now trying to connect a Wi-Fi Cloud Camera 360Eye(S) but once again, I am getting the error message that the device is not compatible with the 5GHz network.

While searching for a solution, I found out that the possible cause of this would have to do with having both networks with the same name. I would appreciate any help in how to go about changing the names of the two network and whether or not that would affect the already installed devices using the 2.4 GHz.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may provide.

*** Edited Labels/Title ***

44 REPLIES 44

Re: Band Steering on XB6 Modem Causing Issues for 2.4 GHz Devices

Hello @PawarPower,

Thank you for joining the conversation here and welcome to the Rogers Community!

Do you have our Wi-Fi pods setup with your connection? If you have Wi-Fi Pods, you won't see the option to separate your 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks. The pods require that you only have one Wi-Fi network name and password so that all your devices can seamlessly connect to the network that will provide the best Wi-Fi signal at any given time.

Hope this information helps!

RogersJermaine

This doesn't work for the new app in 2024. I am still unable to change the names. Please help

Good Day @mysubmember, 👋

A warm welcome to the Community and congrats on your first post with us! We're sorry to hear about the issues you're running into. It sounds like you're looking to disable bandsteering. I found a few helpful steps that you can try in hopes of getting this ironed out for you:

1. Sign in to the Ignite HomeConnect app using your MyRogers username and password.
2. Select WiFi then, WiFi details.
3. Select Edit WiFi settings.
4. Confirm whether or not Use different names and passwords for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi box is checked.

If it is not checked, then Bandsteering is already turned on.
If it is checked:

1. Uncheck the box.
2. Update your WiFi Name and Wifi Password.
3. Select Apply Changes to turn Bandsteering on.

Please let us know if this helped!

RogersJo

Topic Stats