Back button on remote

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Back button on remote

@pkholl wrote:

Rogers channel lineup seems to have no rhyme or reason and I usually give up trying to find a channel and use the voice command. Without that I would be totally lost. After more than a month I still have no idea of the channel numbers and having to reset it to the ones I'm subscribed to every time I use the guide is a real pain too. I guess there was a reason Rogers is so much cheaper.

This is all true... The channel lineup is ugly . ... and I find voice control extremely useful and use it all the time.

Rogers channel alignment could certainly be more "logical" than it is... but it appears to me that the Ignite paradigm is less "channel oriented", and is trying to become more "program oriented".

If you go to the "saved" menu, you get a lot more than just recordings.  Under "for you", you can work your way down to find "trending" programs, "just added" programs, "movies", etc. etc.  

When you select any of those, they are not limited to "channel" Live-TV, but could come from recordings, on-demand episodes, and even from other services that you may have subscribed to, such as Netflix.  If they ARE from "live TV", you will be shown "upcoming" episodes as well, which you can choose to record or mark for "reminder".

Similarly, you can use voice control to choose a program, or a program-genre, and get the lists as described above.

Thus, while Rogers channel orientation is inconvenient, it is not all that important.

Note that you can get yourself a print-out of your channels, with their numbers and names, and with the "flex" channels marked.

Go into your myRogers account, select "TV" and just above the "manage channels and theme packs" there is a small-print link to "view my channel lineup".  When it comes up, you can select to view it as a PDF, which allows you to print it.

sup_1011
I've Been Around

But now you have to hit 2 buttons for last channel which has been an option on every remote forever!  There's probably a reason for that ??   I've been with rogers since the early 80's, would never even think of switching to Bell as I new all the channels with Rogers and Bell was confusing.  Seems Rogers is now taking the bell approach to the guide, add in that the PVR does not record surround sound and now I can't even flip between 2 sporting events with one button.  Hello Bell, I'll see you as soon as this contract with Rogers is done! Ridiculous! Hopefully Bell hasn't made the same thoughtless mistakes.

ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sup_1011 wrote:

But now you have to hit 2 buttons for last channel which has been an option on every remote forever!  There's probably a reason for that ??   I've been with rogers since the early 80's, would never even think of switching to Bell as I new all the channels with Rogers and Bell was confusing.  Seems Rogers is now taking the bell approach to the guide, add in that the PVR does not record surround sound and now I can't even flip between 2 sporting events with one button.  Hello Bell, I'll see you as soon as this contract with Rogers is done! Ridiculous! Hopefully Bell hasn't made the same thoughtless mistakes.

1.  Its not so much that you are not getting "surround" sound... it is that you are not getting pure Dolby 5.1.  The series of posts referred here by @57 ( https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/IgniteTV-Surround-Sound/m-p/472855#M9305 ) explains all this very well.  You do get a "surround" from the processing of stereo.

2.  The "back" button as implemented is actually an ADVANTAGE, if I am flipping around between THREE channels... such as watching the news on CBC, checking the curling on SportsNet, and checking the car race on NBC.... since I now have a HISTORY, instead of just the ONE back-channel.

3. I caution against knee-jerk reactions.  When I came to IGNITE from Digital, there was lots of stuff that is "different" or inconvenient.  I found that for the most part, I figured out how to make the differences work FOR me.  There is lots of stuff that I would do different.  There are some promises that are not fulfilled completely.   Just remember that the people who are "happy" at Bell are probably just like me.   Whatever feature and shortcomings Bell may have, they figured out how to make it work.  You will also, no doubt, find a number of Bell users looking for "out", as well.

If you find that the Bell experience will work for you, then go for it.  Just be sure that it WILL work for you... and that this is not some knee-jerk reaction of a Rogers deficiency that may, in the grand scheme of things, be trivial.

All the best with whatever decision you make.