cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic deletion of recordings

Bplayer
I'm a trusted contributor

This may not be obvious and will be surprise to those people converting to Ignite from a PVR with local HDD storage. When a recording is being setup on Ignite there are two options for saving the recording:

1. Keep until space needed, i.e., if you run out of space on the cloud then an existing recording would be deleted to allow a new recording to be added

2. Keep for 1 year

However, even if you you have specified to "Keep until space needed" and you have lots of available space, old recordings are automatically deleted after 1 year. I have not observed this deletion in time to see if they are placed in the Deleted box (for 1 or 2 days) and if they are recoverable, but I suspect not. Also not sure if the time of deletion is altered if you have recently watched the recording, or if you have not completely watched the recording.

Bottom line is no archival of your favourites even if you manage the space.

*** Edited Labels ***

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Automatic deletion of recordings

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Bplayer  I can confirm that a recording will simply disappear after one year.  It does not go into "Recently Deleted".  There is also no indicator that auto-deletion is imminent nor is there a "Last Chance" filter to enable you to see which recordings are about to disappear either.

Luber
I've been here awhile

Can someone tell me why the DVR will delete stuff from the recorded shows even though there's more than enough room to record more?

It's at 31% full, yet it is still deleting my saved up episodes of a now cancelled show and it's really annoying 😞

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Luber wrote:

Can someone tell me why the DVR will delete stuff from the recorded shows even though there's more than enough room to record more?

It's at 31% full, yet it is still deleting my saved up episodes of a now cancelled show and it's really annoying 😞

Hi, and welcome to the Community!

On Ignite TV, recordings will be deleted automatically (and will just disappear) after one year.  You can also filter recordings and display programs that were recorded on a specific set-top box, so check the settings to the left of the "%  Full" indicator and be sure that "Recorded On:" is set to "All Devices".

Luber
I've been here awhile
thank you for the reply but dammit! I was saving those for a reason! how annoying 😞

arecad
I plan to stick around

It seems strange to do this. If I have 200 hours - it's still 200 hours regardless of how old the recordings are so not sure there is logic to this system. Maybe give us an option to plug in an external drive to save those recordings. It's fine to keep it locked to the box for copyright reasons but we should be able to keep as long as we subscribe.

Maris
I've been around
This is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

User2225676
I plan to stick around

This is PROGRESS

KrombopulosDani
I've been here awhile
I can confirm this and say that it is ridiculous and annoying. What is the point of me setting it to "keep until space is needed" if it will automatically delete after a year anyway?

This service isn't cheap and we should be able to keep recordings as long as we want and pay for the service.

As always THIS IS PROGRESS!!!!!

I am confused by your use of the word progress, how exactly is it progress to have limited access and control over your DVR recordings? I don't remember this being an issue with the old PVR boxes before ignite TV but I may be wrong on that one.

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@KrombopulosDani wrote:
I am confused by your use of the word progress, how exactly is it progress to have limited access and control over your DVR recordings? I don't remember this being an issue with the old PVR boxes before ignite TV but I may be wrong on that one.

Well, even with digital, you didn't really have "control", either.  Could you watch your recordings if you weren't connected to cable?  Could you watch your recordings at your cottage?  Could you watch your recordings if your PVR failed... even if you saved the hard drive? Could you download your recordings to your own computer?   

I'm not sure.

The only real difference is that recordings are deleted after a year, and that IS an issue that makes no sense.

But other than that, there is not much PRACTICAL difference in recordings between digital and ignite.  Obviously, your internet has to be up... but tell me, what is your internet down time these days?

And you can argue that the "progress" part is that now you DO have access to your recordings at your cottage ... as long as you have some form of decent internet there.

@KrombopulosDani wrote:

The Cloud PVR is "progress" in many ways... but the current implementation also has limitations.  One technical limitation is that if you start watching a program on live TV from the beginning and then press RECORD ten minutes in, the program will only start recording from the time that you pressed RECORD.  Another limitation is that you only have 200 hours available... which fills up very quickly.

I don't know why recordings can only be kept for one year.  Comcast lists this as a restriction on their service as well, so it could be a quirk of their implementation.  You may also notice that the program descriptions on almost-one-year-old recordings start to display incorrectly and point to other completely different and unrelated program descriptions, so it looks like a UUID is not big enough and may get reused after less than one year... and Comcast may have tried to "fix" this problem by expiring recordings.  Content owners also don't like it when digital recordings can be kept indefinitely, and I don't know if this limitation (or the ability to enforce a limited lifetime on recordings) allows Rogers to negotiate more favourable terms when they license channels and other program content.

KrombopulosDani
I've been here awhile
I can see the points in both of the posts above, yes there has been a lot of progress in that respect. This subject matter that the post is based off of seems to be a step backwards. I can understand if it has to due with licensing, perhaps it is a legal issue.

What I don't understand is this: when recording there is two options, keep for 1 year and keep until runs out of space.

This insuinates that you can keep the recording for as long as you want until you run out of cloud storage space, which is confusing cause what it actually means is you can still only keep it for 1 year but if you run out of space before then, it will delete it.

This is more of a communication issue rather than anything else, I as a customer, did not realize this limitation and I am sure I am not the only person confused by this. It could be communicated better by Rogers that recordings can only be kept for a year regardless of the option chosen.

For me, I can just re-record what was deleted as episodes are played often, but for things that aren't played again regularly on tv, it might mean that the customer should watch before a certain date.

Bplayer
I'm a trusted contributor

I agree that this is primarily a communications issue. It is problematic for new subscribers who like to hoard things, and did not do thorough research before signing up. This limitation surprised my after the first year when some recordings vanished, but it is not an issue for me.

All my CD's are digitized and actually rarely listened to now. My dozens of DVD are safely stored and generally sit unwatched after first viewing. The collection of hardcover books looks nice on the bookshelves, but they may never be read a second time.

My mode of operation is to record a series, some are watched shortly after and other saved to the end of the season for binge watching. This results in recordings usually not exceeding 20%, and with the mid season pause and fewer COVID-19 productions it is currently around 5%.

There are many episodes of unwatched series and movies on Netflix, so I am never without something new to watch. Saving recordings for more than a year has no value for me. Comcast/Rogers have nailed this one for individuals like me, minimum wastage of storage space.

I am sure others will have different requirements and perspectives.

iantweedle
I've been here awhile

Recently I went to watch a show that I recorded a couple of months ago and the show wasn't there.  I don't remember deleting it so I asked the other members of the house if they accidentally deleted -- they hadn't.  I also checked the Deleted Folder in recordings and it wasn't there.

Tonight I went to watch a movie I had recorded and noticed that anything I had recorded prior to July 2020 is now gone.  All recordings that I have are set to delete on when space is needed.  My hard drive has never gone above 80% so it wasn't that.

I have checked on all 3 boxes to see if it was a glitch on that TV box and none of them have anything prior to July 2020.

Does Rogers automatically delete recordings in my cloud drive after a certain length of time?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@iantweedle wrote:

..All recordings that I have are set to delete on when space is needed.  My hard drive has never gone above 80% so it wasn't that. 

Does Rogers automatically delete recordings in my cloud drive after a certain length of time?

My guess is that at a certain percentage, like 80%, recordings will be deleted since there needs to be headroom for upcoming new recordings.  I suggest you change your setting for the save time, or not let the recorded amount go that high.

Recordings are deleted after one year. See link below:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/recording-with-ignite-tv

Edit: I realize this is not a physical hard drive at your home where 80% was too high (before you ran into problems) and 50% was typically recommended, however, they may still want some "headroom" so recordings may be deleted in advance of reaching 200 hours.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

@iantweedle wrote:

..All recordings that I have are set to delete on when space is needed.  My hard drive has never gone above 80% so it wasn't that. 

My guess is that at a certain percentage, like 80%, recordings will be deleted since there needs to be headroom for upcoming new recordings.  I suggest you change your setting for the save time, or not let the recorded amount go that high.

Recordings are deleted after one year. See link below:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/recording-with-ignite-tv

From what I have seen with Ignite TV, you can hit 100% of your quota and you still have some leeway before you lose recordings; I have not lost one yet even though I have flirted with hitting 100% many times.  Likewise, your (manually) deleted recordings will also stay in the "recycle bin" for a while, even when you hit the 100% mark, although you run the risk that those recordings may get automatically purged (and become unrecoverable) faster than usual.  However, the 1-year lifespan is absolute and your recordings WILL disappear after 1 year.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-G- wrote:  I have not lost one yet even though I have flirted with hitting 100% many times.  

Are your recordings set to "when space is needed" though, which could have an impact relative to "until I erase"?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

@-G- wrote:  I have not lost one yet even though I have flirted with hitting 100% many times.  

Are your recordings set to "when space is needed" though, which could have an impact relative to "until I erase"?

I just use the default option, "Until space is needed".

There is a BIG difference!
Before I could set when the recording deleted.
Because the rewind is SOOOOO short now, we need to record EVERY show we watch.
And now we have to go through MANY steps to delete each recording.
Why did they give us LESS options?
Topic Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 11 in conversation