cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio but no Video Ignite Box

Grwebster
I plan to stick around

Lately on both boxes, they have started with audio, but no video. It just sits there with the three white dots on the black screen saying welcome. Reset fixes it, bit this did not happen in the past. Any idea what is causing this?

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Audio but no Video Ignite Box

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@doradevera wrote:
The guide does not appear on the tv, we’ve tried everything but there’s still no visual on the screen. No guide either. We have a Sharp Aquos tv.

Did you make any changes to your Video Display settings (or any other Device Settings) before you lost video from the set-top box?

This is a long shot, but you could try to change the video output resolution to 720p to see if you can get video again.  You will have to do this "in the blind" but it can be done by keying a specific sequence with the remote.

With the TV on and the Ignite set-top box tuned to a channel, key in the following sequence:  Press and hold the Rogers (menu) button for three seconds, then key in: "Up Up 2".  At this point, a popup saying "Enter Control Code" will appear on your screen, prompting you to enter a 4-digit number.  Key in: "0 7 2 0"

Hopefully you will get video back again.  Also, just to be clear, the "Up" key is the up directional key, located above the OK/Select button.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @Grwebster!

To be honest this is the first I've heard regarding hearing audio but not seeing video, that said though, knowing a reboot restores the video is definitely helpful in the diagnosis. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. A couple of queries though if I may to assist further:

Have you spoken to support regarding this issue? I'm wondering if there's a signal issue be it RF to the modem or Wireless to the stb.

How often does this occur?

How long after a reboot does the video cut out?

Does this happen on more than one box?

Does it occur on all channels?

Are you using Whole Home WiFi? Or any alternative wireless solution outside of the modem?

Thanks!

@RogersAndy

THIS HAPPENED TO ME THIS MORNING , ONLY HAD IGNITE ABOUT A WEEK, AND A FEW THINGS HAVE HAPPENED. BUT KEEPING TO TOPIC, THE JUST AUDIO AND NO VIDEO PROBLEM HAPPENED EARLY THIS MORNING, IT HAPPENED TO THE FURTHEST SIGNAL BOX FROM THE MODEM, TRIED TURNING IT OFF AND ON, NOTHING. BET YOU WILL HEAR MORE COMPLAINTS , YET THIS IS JUST SMALL ONE.

Hi @bravanello,

This definitely sounds like a pain to deal with. I don't blame you for being frustrated. 😟

By any chance, have you tried rebooting the affected box? (Settings > Help > Restart). If that doesn't help, please try rebooting your Ignite modem by unplugging the power cord for about 30 seconds and plugging it back in. Once done, move on to the affected TV box(es) and complete another restart through the Settings > Help menu. This normally clears up any funny business that is going on.

Please give us an update to let us know how it goes! 😊

RogersLaura

Hi! I’m having a problem with the tv playing audio but not displaying visual. We checked and it’s for sure not the tv itself because the picture shows up when we change the input to the DVD player. The only issue is the connection to ignite—is there any way to fix this problem?

I have the volume and getting it clear sound but no picture on my screen for 3 days in a row now.. can you fix it pls

Hello, @doradevera

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

We appreciate you posting your concern in our community. I can imagine how disappointing it must be to only get an audio signal and no video when trying to watch your favourite programs. 😞

We'll need a bit more information to determine what steps to take next.

• Can you describe what you are seeing on the screen, is it a black screen while the audio plays?
  • Is the DVD player connected via HDMI cable? If yes, can you switch the HDMI from the DVD player to the Ignite TV box and see if the same issue is happening on the DVD input?
  • If trying a new HDMI cord is not an option can you unplug and replug the current HDMI cable?
  • Have you tried rebooting the Ignite TV box by removing the power cord and reconnecting it since noticing this issue?

We look forward to your response!

RogersTony

We’ve tried all, and the DVD player is not connected by HDMI, so switching it out isn’t an option. We still see only a black screen with audio. However, when we adjust the volume, the little bar that shows the volume level appears on the screen.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@doradevera wrote:
 However, when we adjust the volume, the little bar that shows the volume level appears on the screen.

Here are a few comments/questions:

1. The volume may be the one displayed by the TV itself and not the Rogers Box.  You can confirm this by using the TV's remote.

2. Do you have another HDMI input on the back of the TV you can try?

3. Do you have another HDMI cable you can try?  If not, unplug the HDMI cable at both ends and plug the end that was attached to the TV to the box and vice versa.  Then reboot the box

4. When you press the Rogers "Settings' button, does the screen display the menu for the box?

5. If it does, then you may need to go into the Ignite settings and select a different video output resolution - like 1080i instead of Auto.  Or even try 480i as a test. What is the make/model of your TV?  If no menu items come up, I suspect a poor connection between the box and the TV - bad HDMI cable, etc.

6. Does the Guide show up for the Rogers box?

doradevera
I'm here a lot
The guide does not appear on the tv, we’ve tried everything but there’s still no visual on the screen. No guide either. We have a Sharp Aquos tv.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

OK, so if you've tried everything we've already suggested and there's no guide/menu, then there's likely an issue with the connection from the box to the TV as I previously mentioned (HDMI cable/handshake issue).

1. Do you have another TV you can try the box on?

2. What's the exact model number of the TV?  That way we can see what video formats it can handle.

3. Do you have another Rogers box in the house that you can try?  Is that box working on the other TV?

4. If you don't have another TV/box, are you able to borrow a (small?) TV from someone nearby - friend, neighbour, relative?  Can you borrow another HDMI cable?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@doradevera wrote:

Did you make any changes to your Video Display settings (or any other Device Settings) before you lost video from the set-top box?

This is a long shot, but you could try to change the video output resolution to 720p to see if you can get video again.  You will have to do this "in the blind" but it can be done by keying a specific sequence with the remote.

With the TV on and the Ignite set-top box tuned to a channel, key in the following sequence:  Press and hold the Rogers (menu) button for three seconds, then key in: "Up Up 2".  At this point, a popup saying "Enter Control Code" will appear on your screen, prompting you to enter a 4-digit number.  Key in: "0 7 2 0"

Hopefully you will get video back again.  Also, just to be clear, the "Up" key is the up directional key, located above the OK/Select button.

It worked! Thank you so much! Although it is in a weird colour, is there any way to fix this? And again, thank you 🙂

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@doradevera wrote:
It worked! Thank you so much! Although it is in a weird colour, is there any way to fix this? And again, thank you 🙂

Glad to hear that we made some progress.

First, that output resolution change that you made was a temporary override of your settings.  Go into "Settings / Device Settings / Video Display / Video Output Resolution" and pick a resolution that you want to save.  Click the "OK/Select" on the option setting, even if it has a ✔️ next to it.  If the test screen looks good, save (keep) that setting.

As for the colour issues, it could be caused by a number of different things.  First reset both the TV and the set-top box by pulling the power plug.  Wait a few seconds, then power them back up again.  This may or may not reset the problem.

If you still have colour issues, it again could be caused by a HDMI handshake problem, or possibly a problem with your cable.  Make sure that the firmware on your TV is up to date.  You can also try reversing how your HDMI cable is plugged in.  If yours happens to be directional, it will have an arrow on it, and the arrow should point to the TV.

Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 8 in conversation