cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio Lag on Ignite TV

Olga2
I've been here awhile

I just switched to Rogers Ignite internet and TV.
I can see that voice lags vs video on ALL channels. Very annoying! I see multiple posts about it, but yet to see a resolution. Is constant video box rebooting will be my life now on or is there a lasting solution for the issue?

***Edited Labels***

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Audio Lag on Ignite TV

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The resolution is usually to set the audio output of the Ignite TV box to "Stereo" instead of any of the other settings like DD or Expert or Auto.

Olga2
I've been here awhile
Thanks! It solved the issue 👍

Pipeline41
I've been around
It does work but we shouldn’t have to change setting to Stereo when there better options available. When is Rogers going to correct this issue?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Pipeline41 wrote:
It does work but we shouldn’t have to change setting to Stereo when there better options available.

2. When is Rogers going to correct this issue?

1. If you're listing to your TV speakers, the stereo setting is perfectly adequate and you shouldn't hear any difference between the various audio output settings on the Rogers box.

If you're listening via an AVR (audio video receiver) then there can be a slight difference when listening to DD5.1 signals (more discrete rear channel audio), but often there is no perceivable difference there either if the AVR invokes a surround sound mode like Dolby Pro Logic II.  You would need a very good DD5.1 mix on a programme with lots of rear channel audio and discrete signals to the LR & RR speakers to hear any difference.

2. I'm not sure this is a Rogers issue completely since I don't recall hearing any issues regarding audio delays with an AVR, rather it appears to be limited to certain makes/models of TV, which would indicate that it's a TV manufacturer issue/incompatibility. 

There is a totally different issue which has been discussed regarding the lack of proper DD5.1 on recorded programming on IgniteTV, however, that is a totally separate subject discussed in its own thread.  The workaround for that is again to use the stereo setting and invoke DPLII in the AVR.

dezilu
I've been around

how do i do that i need step by step

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dezilu wrote:

how do i do that i need step by step

I assume you're asking how to set the output to stereo on an IgniteTV box.  Press Rogers - Scroll completely to the right to the "Settings" icon, press settings - Device Settings - Audio - HDMI Audio Output - Select Stereo, hit Exit key to exit.

The next thing you should do is go through all of the various settings to ensure that the box behaves like you want, not in any default settings (for video, audio, power, etc).

hrbbuckshot7
I've been here awhile

I, too, had upgraded my basic Ignite service  withing the last two weeks.  The Rogers streaming service is poor.  The video/audio sync issue is across the platform.  What I've found is that approximately every ten seconds there appears a momentary freeze in picture and sound..  Correct sync is missing on all Rogers streaming channels.  Is the system trying to buffer too much or too little?  Are the digital packets transmitted incorrectly?  While Rogers markets programming, the basic technical service is simply not very good.  These errors are not seen on the all-forgiving analog cable.  Rogers solution all require the customer top take action.

@hrbbuckshot7 wrote:

1. The Rogers streaming service is poor.  The video/audio sync issue is across the platform. 

What I've found is that approximately every ten seconds there appears a momentary freeze in picture and sound.. 

2. Correct sync is missing on all Rogers streaming channels.  Is the system trying to buffer too much or too little? 

3. These errors are not seen on the all-forgiving analog cable.  

1. It shouldn't be. I also switched in March and have found the video quality to be excellent. If you're having such issues there is a problem with your location and the signal or other issue, like WiFi needs to be resolved. You'll need to contact Rogers to have this fixed or follow the troubleshooting tips on the Rogers website.

2. Have you switched to the "stereo" output setting instead of Expert or DD, as discussed earlier in this thread?

3. You are correct in that Analogue Cable hasn't been around for years.  😉  

Lyphe416
I plan to stick around

I'm getting this audio lag too.

I've got a Sonos Arc connect via the eArc port and using the special Rogers hdmi cable.  That said, some channels go out of sync more than others.  CP24 is alwasy off for me, while others are fine.  I came from Bell and have only noticed this on Rogers.

Re/ the note about swapping to stereo, this is not a good fix.  I tried the swap and the sound quality difference is like going from a mercedes to a bicylce ... huge difference.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Lyphe416 wrote: Re/ the note about swapping to stereo, this is not a good fix.  

1.Does switching to Stereo eliminate the lag issue?

2. There should be very little difference between the DD & Stereo settings in a Sound Bar like yours on properly encoded programming. What you're probably hearing is the difference when two different decoder methods are being used by the bar. The "proper" decoder should be Dolby Pro Logic II or similar.   Or the differences outlined below:

Note that Rogers has issues regarding appropriate surround sound as discussed in the following detailed post:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/IgniteTV-Surround-Sound/m-p/493199#M14173

What you may be hearing when you say there is a large difference, is similar to listening to the LF & RF speakers instead the centre speaker.   As discussed in the above link, CP24 is one of the channels that is still "improperly encoded", hence you'll hear a difference between DD & Stereo, but it's not because of the Stereo setting in the Rogers box. For example, if you set the sound bar to "stereo" for decoding instead of DPL, then you'll probably hear no difference at all between the DD & Stereo output for the Rogers box for a channel like CP24.

SavPrato
I've been around

Looks like this setting works, Thanks. Called Rogers (twice) and both times their solution was to re-boot the box. Temporary solution as the sound lag was the same the next day. I do not intend to re-boot a few times every day. The stereo setting “appears” to solve the problem. 

kennethmkelley
I've been here awhile

I'm having audio issues with the audio/video out of sync EXCEPT when I have my Ignite STB on the Stereo Audio setting. BUT I will get these random high pitched shrieks through my speakers when using this setting. This does not occur on the other audio settings. 

Have rebooted the STB. Done the refresh through the Ignite Wifi app. Nothing changes. 

@kennethmkelley  Here are my suggestions:

Unplug the HDMI cable and replug it.  Reverse the ends - the one that went to the TV goes into the IgniteTV box and vice versa.  

Are you using the HDMI cable that Rogers supplied?

Try a different HDMI input on the TV.

I searched and found the following additional suggestions on the Web:

If the TV produces a high-pitched noise, follow the steps below to troubleshoot the issue.

1. Change the channel or video input of the TV.

IMPORTANT: If the noise only occurs on a specific channel or input, the issue may be with the signal being received. It may be necessary to contact the signal provider.

2. Turn off the TV.
  3. Ensure that any audio or video components are connected to the TV properly.
  4. (Temporarily) Remove all third party audio or video components connected to the TV.

NOTE: If the issue is resolved after removing third party audio or video components, one of those components causes the issue. To determine exactly which component is causing the issue, reconnect each audio or video component independently and check the status after each component is connected.

5. Unplug the TV power cord from the AC outlet.
  6. Let the TV set without power for 30 seconds - perhaps a minute or two.
  7. Plug the TV power cord back into the AC outlet.
  8. Turn on the TV.
  9. If the TV has a grounded plug, make sure that the outlet you're plugging it into is also properly grounded.

Shawn22a
I've been around
It won’t let me choose the stereo option. It just will not scroll there. Rogers support did not help. The tv in another room doesn’t have this problem. The audio is horribly out of sync. Corrects momentarily when tv is first turned on. Problem is at my 83 year old mother’s house. Not impressed!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Shawn22a I've never heard of anyone not being able to scroll to a particular section of the settings.  Here are the instructions again:

Press Rogers - Scroll completely to the right to the "Settings" icon, select Settings - Device Settings - Audio - HDMI Audio Output - Select Stereo, hit Exit key to exit.

Is that what you tried?

Lyphe416
I plan to stick around

@57 wrote:

1. If you're listing to your TV speakers, the stereo setting is perfectly adequate and you shouldn't hear any difference between the various audio output settings on the Rogers box.

I disagree with this.  

After reading this post, I went and tried changing the setting.  My sound immediately dropped from lovely and full to sounding like I was on a small transistor radio.  My sound is via a Sonos Arc and the difference is massive.  Definitely would be good to have a fix for this.

Thx for the attempted fix though and cheers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Lyphe416 wrote:I disagree with this.  

After reading this post, I went and tried changing the setting.  My sound immediately dropped from lovely and full to sounding like I was on a small transistor radio.  

One needs to ensure that an appropriate surround sound decoding option is utilized in the Sound Bar or AVR and then there should be no significant difference.  If you do not enable an appropriate surround decoding option (usually something like Dolby Pro Logic II) then yes, the sound will be different (and perhaps "thin".

Topic Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 9 in conversation