Ask an Expert: Ignite TV Pt. II

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Product Manager
Product Manager

Re: Ask an Expert: Ignite TV Pt. II

@bruinfn4lf wrote:

What is “Ignite 2nd screen”?

Ignite 2nd screen is the option to watch TV shows and movies through Ignite TV iOS and Android apps and Web portal.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Do you have any other news that you can share about upcoming improvements to Ignite TV's Home Phone service?

- An app where we can make or receive calls from our smartphones?

- New technical measures to combat Caller ID Spoofing?

- Robocall blocking?

- Other privacy improvements?

- On-screen Caller ID display (hopefully with an "off switch" for those that don't want it 😀)

Product Manager
Product Manager

@schmoggles wrote:

Looking forward to Ignite later this week!

A few questions... 

I can't seem to find a "manual" anywhere to give me an idea of what settings there are within the Xi6 box? 

Thanks for your questions! There isn’t a manual for the Xi6 modem. However, hopefully, we’ve provided some insight to our questions below.

On the networking side, I'm looking to hard wire the boxes, but also place them on a Vlan within my L3 network.  I assume DHCP will work, are there any address restrictions? 

Yes, it will only work within the assigned address.

Can I set a static address?

At this time, it’s not a supported configuration for Xi6.

As well, are they looking to connect to a multicast address range? 

It’s not as multicast only allows the IP addresses to be located on other networks.

Also, curious if they need to be in the same broadcast subnet (if they are communicating in anyway over SSDP or whatever). 

It defaults to the IPv6 operating mode.

As well, any firewall / NAT info would be wonderful!

XB6 maintains a pinhole on the IPv6 firewall for port 56982; this is to allow Rogers support tools to communicate with the Xi6s via CWMP.

Product Manager
Product Manager

@schmoggles wrote:

Ok, new question...

Curious how "lobby cameras" are being implemented on this platform?  

We are actively looking into a feature that would bring the capability of a “lobby camera”.  Stay tuned!

Can you identify personal rtsp streams for such use?

This is not an option at this time.

Thanks!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Rogers_D , @Rogers_Red5 , @RogersJose  Thanks again for answering our questions here!

Not strictly an Ignite TV question but still related... Up until a few weeks ago, Link-On crews have been busy in around my neighbourhood installing underground vaults and conduits, sadly stopping work ~10 houses away from me.  No fibre has been pulled... yet... and all of the underground copper is about 20 years old.  Could this be a precursor to getting xPON/FTTH in my area or is Rogers still stopping short and deploying RFoG?

Thanks!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Probably FTTC as discussed in the following thread.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Time-For-Takeoff/m-p/432420#M54525

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

Probably FTTC as discussed in the following thread.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Time-For-Takeoff/m-p/432420#M54525

Thanks, but since then Rogers has also posted this:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/faqs-about-rogers-fibre-internet

I'm curious to find out whether all new fibre deployments will now be FTTH going forward.

Hi Community!

Thank you for making Ask an Expert: Ignite TV Pt. II a success. The event is now closed.  I would like to thank our Product Managers @Rogers_Red5 @Rogers_D and @RogersJose  for joining us in the Community!

If your questions were not answered, rest assured we will update this thread with the responses as soon as we can. This thread will be locked but still viewable for your reference. We will move this thread to our Ask an Expert Archives at a later date.

Feel free to continue your discussion in the Ignite TV™ board.

Thank you again to everyone for participating!

RogersZia

Product Manager
Product Manager

@gp-se wrote:

I was hoping you guys would allow us to use custom DNS servers on the XB6 like on the previous Hitron Gateway. Is this something that is going to be made available with a future firmware update?

At this time, custom DNS servers aren’t compatible with the Protected Browsing and Parental Control features in Ignite Wi-Fi Hub.

Also if we put the XB6 in Bridge mode it will still broadcast a hidden WiFi SSID, will that go away in the future? 

This will continue as the hidden SSIDs are required to support services such as connecting the TV to the Gateway (Lost & Found), and other future items in our roadmap.

Lastly will the XB6 be getting DOCSIS 3.1 upstream like the Hitrons?

We are always looking at ways to improve our customers' experience on our Network including on upstream capabilities but can’t provide details at this time.

Product Manager
Product Manager

@-G- wrote:

Suggestion: We need to fix how Alert Ready messages get presented on Ignite TV.  There's no way to acknowledge / cancel a message mid-way through.  I had to (literally) pull the plug on the Xi6 as it was reading aloud 8 pages of text at full volume.

(Not complaining about the alert itself.  Just didn't need the French translation.  Plus I got the first alert just fine...  and redundant alerts on several other connected devices.)

Thank you for your feedback! We will look into this to see what is possible as there are limitations that are set with AlertReady Guidelines.

Regards