cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask an Expert: Ignite TV Pt. II

RogersTony

Alright everyone! The time has come, Product Managers @RogersJose@Rogers_D,  and @Rogers_Red5 are here for the next 3 days to answer all your questions about Ignite TV, Ignite WiFi Hub, your Ignite Internet Modem and any other questions you may have.

They will do their best to answer your questions on a first come - first serve basis. But we all know some questions are easier than others, so please allow time for them to get the best answer for you. We promise, no question will go unanswered, no one will be left out.

Remember, you must be a registered user to post a question. Not registered? Click here to sign up.

Ask an Expert Guidelines

Here are some guidelines to keep the event running smoothly. As always, our Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

1. If you have a question to ask, simply post in the Ask an Expert: Ignite TV Pt. II thread. The Experts will reply as soon as they have your answer.

2. @RogersJose, @Rogers_D, and @Rogers_Red5  will be available to answer questions throughout the entire 3 days, but please patient and allow time for a response.

3. @RogersJose, @Rogers_D, and @Rogers_Red5 will not be able to comment on products or services that haven't been announced so please keep the conversation on topic for the event and the Community.

81 REPLIES 81

Re: Ask an Expert: Ignite TV Pt. II

Square
I'm a reliable contributor

@schmoggles   Thank you for the reply and info.  I'm going to wait before I buy an adapter (might buy a new soundbar)  I have sent a message to Share a concern, see if any thing can be done.  My issue is only on the Cloud Recordings so not sure if the Xi6 even did have a Optical connection, if this problem would still occur.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Suggestion: We need to fix how Alert Ready messages get presented on Ignite TV.  There's no way to acknowledge / cancel a message mid-way through.  I had to (literally) pull the plug on the Xi6 as it was reading aloud 8 pages of text at full volume.

(Not complaining about the alert itself.  Just didn't need the French translation.  Plus I got the first alert just fine...  and redundant alerts on several other connected devices.)

Square
I'm a reliable contributor

Same here, I pulled the power plug.  Another reason for me to go back to Digital.

Rogers_D
Product Manager
Product Manager

@-G- wrote:

I would also like to ask about what's happening with regard to the Stingray Music channels.  Back in August, Stingray issued a press release about the new deal that they signed with Rogers.  It said:

The new agreement will offer more flexibility and choice for viewers with options to choose services based on music preferences.

As part of the agreement, Rogers television customers (cable and IPTV) will have access to Stingray Music audio channels and can also enjoy the Stingray Music mobile app and web player for free. Stingray 4K channels will continue to be available including Stingray Festival 4K, and Stingray Now 4K. The deal also provides Rogers with rights to distribute exciting new Stingray products. More details will be shared at a later date.

The press release hinted at exciting things to come.  However, since that deal got signed, the Stingray Music Video channels have been removed from the Flex Channel lineup and an announcement on MyRogers said that these channels would be discontinued on November 15, 2019.

Do you have any additional information that you can share with us at this time?  Thanks!

We’re excited to partner with Stingray to bring our customers access to their music library. At this time, we don’t have any additional information to share but we’ll have more details soon.

We regularly review the channels that are available in Flex to offer our customers the channels that they love. Stingray was swapped due to changing viewing habits from our customers.

@schmoggles 

You might not have to do that? Depending on your TV.
Many TVs will have an optical audio out.
It will output whatever is being fed into it, out to the AVR, etc through it.

SO HDMI from rogers to TV, optical from TV to AVR.

I do this on my TV, for any of the smart functions on it, to be able to have the surround sound on that content.

RogersJose
Product Manager
Product Manager

@-G- wrote:

@Datalink wrote:

This is still a custom install, requiring a tech to install the service.  The question is, will this ever migrate to a self install?  Reading thru some of the posts regarding Ignite TV, it would appear that Rogers has a lot of work to do on their backend systems before this ever becomes a self install service, if ever.  

Actually, go to https://www.rogers.com/web/consumer/ignite-bundles/get-iptv

... and click on "See Full Details" at the bottom of the page.  The first line reads:

> Taxes extra. One-time installation fee of $149.99 applies (waived for self-install).

I suspect that this might be contractual boilerplate that got pasted in error but I would still be interested to hear what the Ignite TV Product Managers have to say.  For Internet and TV?  Maybe.  For Home Phone?  I dunno.  I just can't see (most) end-customers disconnecting the incoming wires from their old Bell service and patching the XB6 into their home phone wiring.  The (subcontracted) Install techs seem to have a hard enough time getting this right... unless Rogers has uploaded an amazing DIY video to their YouTube channel.

We are actively working in the area of Self Install for Ignite and will have more details to share soon.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Rogers_D wrote:

@-G- wrote:

I would also like to ask about what's happening with regard to the Stingray Music channels.  Back in August, Stingray issued a press release about the new deal that they signed with Rogers.

The press release hinted at exciting things to come.  However, since that deal got signed, the Stingray Music Video channels have been removed from the Flex Channel lineup and an announcement on MyRogers said that these channels would be discontinued on November 15, 2019.

Do you have any additional information that you can share with us at this time?  Thanks!

We’re excited to partner with Stingray to bring our customers access to their music library. At this time, we don’t have any additional information to share but we’ll have more details soon.

We regularly review the channels that are available in Flex to offer our customers the channels that they love. Stingray was swapped due to changing viewing habits from our customers.

Thanks very much.  From the wording, I was kinda hoping that those channels would be bundled together along with all of the other Stingray channels.  However, I understand the business reasons behind making changes to the channel lineup.

FYI, I subscribed to one of those channels with Ignite TV.  When the Stingray video channels got removed from the Flex Channel list, an unrelated channel swap by Tech Support caused it to be dropped from my subscription.  Digital TV made those those channels available in a theme pack but Ignite TV did not; they were only available as Flex Channels.   So... I had those channels in my guide but had absolutely no way to subscribe to them.  I don't remember if any other Ignite TV package (other than Premier) ever had the ability to subscribe to those channels either.

@bruinfn4lf wrote:

What is “Ignite 2nd screen”?

Ignite 2nd screen is the option to watch TV shows and movies through Ignite TV iOS and Android apps and Web portal.

Thanks!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Do you have any other news that you can share about upcoming improvements to Ignite TV's Home Phone service?

- An app where we can make or receive calls from our smartphones?

- New technical measures to combat Caller ID Spoofing?

- Robocall blocking?

- Other privacy improvements?

- On-screen Caller ID display (hopefully with an "off switch" for those that don't want it 😀)

@schmoggles wrote:

Looking forward to Ignite later this week!

A few questions... 

I can't seem to find a "manual" anywhere to give me an idea of what settings there are within the Xi6 box? 

Thanks for your questions! There isn’t a manual for the Xi6 modem. However, hopefully, we’ve provided some insight to our questions below.

On the networking side, I'm looking to hard wire the boxes, but also place them on a Vlan within my L3 network.  I assume DHCP will work, are there any address restrictions? 

Yes, it will only work within the assigned address.

Can I set a static address?

At this time, it’s not a supported configuration for Xi6.

As well, are they looking to connect to a multicast address range? 

It’s not as multicast only allows the IP addresses to be located on other networks.

Also, curious if they need to be in the same broadcast subnet (if they are communicating in anyway over SSDP or whatever). 

It defaults to the IPv6 operating mode.

As well, any firewall / NAT info would be wonderful!

XB6 maintains a pinhole on the IPv6 firewall for port 56982; this is to allow Rogers support tools to communicate with the Xi6s via CWMP.

@schmoggles wrote:

Ok, new question...

Curious how "lobby cameras" are being implemented on this platform?  

We are actively looking into a feature that would bring the capability of a “lobby camera”.  Stay tuned!

Can you identify personal rtsp streams for such use?

This is not an option at this time.

Thanks!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Rogers_D , @Rogers_Red5 , @RogersJose  Thanks again for answering our questions here!

Not strictly an Ignite TV question but still related... Up until a few weeks ago, Link-On crews have been busy in around my neighbourhood installing underground vaults and conduits, sadly stopping work ~10 houses away from me.  No fibre has been pulled... yet... and all of the underground copper is about 20 years old.  Could this be a precursor to getting xPON/FTTH in my area or is Rogers still stopping short and deploying RFoG?

Thanks!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Probably FTTC as discussed in the following thread.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Time-For-Takeoff/m-p/432420#M54525

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

Probably FTTC as discussed in the following thread.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Time-For-Takeoff/m-p/432420#M54525

Thanks, but since then Rogers has also posted this:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/faqs-about-rogers-fibre-internet

I'm curious to find out whether all new fibre deployments will now be FTTH going forward.

Hi Community!

Thank you for making Ask an Expert: Ignite TV Pt. II a success. The event is now closed.  I would like to thank our Product Managers @Rogers_Red5 @Rogers_D and @RogersJose  for joining us in the Community!

If your questions were not answered, rest assured we will update this thread with the responses as soon as we can. This thread will be locked but still viewable for your reference. We will move this thread to our Ask an Expert Archives at a later date.

Feel free to continue your discussion in the Ignite TV™ board.

Thank you again to everyone for participating!

RogersZia

@gp-se wrote:

I was hoping you guys would allow us to use custom DNS servers on the XB6 like on the previous Hitron Gateway. Is this something that is going to be made available with a future firmware update?

At this time, custom DNS servers aren’t compatible with the Protected Browsing and Parental Control features in Ignite Wi-Fi Hub.

Also if we put the XB6 in Bridge mode it will still broadcast a hidden WiFi SSID, will that go away in the future? 

This will continue as the hidden SSIDs are required to support services such as connecting the TV to the Gateway (Lost & Found), and other future items in our roadmap.

Lastly will the XB6 be getting DOCSIS 3.1 upstream like the Hitrons?

We are always looking at ways to improve our customers' experience on our Network including on upstream capabilities but can’t provide details at this time.

@-G- wrote:

Suggestion: We need to fix how Alert Ready messages get presented on Ignite TV.  There's no way to acknowledge / cancel a message mid-way through.  I had to (literally) pull the plug on the Xi6 as it was reading aloud 8 pages of text at full volume.

(Not complaining about the alert itself.  Just didn't need the French translation.  Plus I got the first alert just fine...  and redundant alerts on several other connected devices.)

Thank you for your feedback! We will look into this to see what is possible as there are limitations that are set with AlertReady Guidelines.

Regards

Rogers_D
Product Manager
Product Manager
@-G- wrote:

Do you have any other news that you can share about upcoming improvements to Ignite TV's Home Phone service?

- An app where we can make or receive calls from our smartphones?

- New technical measures to combat Caller ID Spoofing?

- Robocall blocking?

- Other privacy improvements?

- On-screen Caller ID display (hopefully with an "off switch" for those that don't want it 😀)

We appreciate your feedback and suggestions! An app is an interesting idea but not something we are looking at right now. We understand the importance of Call Display on the TV and are actively looking at what we can do in this area.

Rogers_D
Product Manager
Product Manager

@-G- wrote:

However, for some reason, I lost the ability to log into my modem when "Connected Devices > Devices > Prefer Private Connection" is disabled.  So...  now I have to ask, what does this setting do?  It's not documented anywhere.

This setting is used for a feature that we haven’t rolled out yet. We’ll share more details once it’s available.

Topic Stats