Ask an Expert: Ignite TV Pt. II

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ask an Expert: Ignite TV Pt. II

@-G-  & @Datalink : I've seen REN discussed in a number of previous threads, however, I don't ever remember it actually being the source of a problem. There was always another issue or solution brought forward.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

@-G-  & @Datalink : I've seen REN discussed in a number of previous threads, however, I don't ever remember it actually being the source of a problem. There was always another issue or solution brought forward.

I'm not sure why the question was asked.  Ringer loads are typically only a problem these days when multiple "vintage" telephones are in the mix, and problematic loads can usually be confirmed with a GR-909 REN test on the ATA.  I know some Nortel phones are also not "happy" when connected to VoIP gear (rather that an actual switch) but that's another issue altogether.  Still, I'm happy to get whatever technical information that I can when I can.

I'm Here A Lot

@Square wrote:

So nobody with Ignite has a old AVR Receiver?, with no HDMI, just Optical Inputs?  I can't believe I'm the only one with this problem with the Ignite Cloud Recordings.  The technician said he has not had this problem in over 1 year he has connected the Ignite service.  Guess I have to fork over $$ to buy a new system.  What a headache!

I'm hoping to have my Ignite setup and mostly integrated by next week.  One of my boxes will be feeding an older AVR - which currently gets an optical connection from my old 8300HD box.  I've just realized I'm going to have to solve this connectivity issue.  Sad that there isn't any digital audio I/O on the new Xi6... so I'm going to Amazon me up one of these now and hope it does the trick: https://www.amazon.ca/Proster-Extractor-Converter-Optical-Splitter/dp/B073TT8JGN

When I get things going, I'll let you know if I'm seeing your issue or not.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@schmoggles   Thank you for the reply and info.  I'm going to wait before I buy an adapter (might buy a new soundbar)  I have sent a message to Share a concern, see if any thing can be done.  My issue is only on the Cloud Recordings so not sure if the Xi6 even did have a Optical connection, if this problem would still occur.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Suggestion: We need to fix how Alert Ready messages get presented on Ignite TV.  There's no way to acknowledge / cancel a message mid-way through.  I had to (literally) pull the plug on the Xi6 as it was reading aloud 8 pages of text at full volume.

(Not complaining about the alert itself.  Just didn't need the French translation.  Plus I got the first alert just fine...  and redundant alerts on several other connected devices.)

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Same here, I pulled the power plug.  Another reason for me to go back to Digital.

Product Manager
Product Manager

@-G- wrote:

I would also like to ask about what's happening with regard to the Stingray Music channels.  Back in August, Stingray issued a press release about the new deal that they signed with Rogers.  It said:

The new agreement will offer more flexibility and choice for viewers with options to choose services based on music preferences.

As part of the agreement, Rogers television customers (cable and IPTV) will have access to Stingray Music audio channels and can also enjoy the Stingray Music mobile app and web player for free. Stingray 4K channels will continue to be available including Stingray Festival 4K, and Stingray Now 4K. The deal also provides Rogers with rights to distribute exciting new Stingray products. More details will be shared at a later date.

The press release hinted at exciting things to come.  However, since that deal got signed, the Stingray Music Video channels have been removed from the Flex Channel lineup and an announcement on MyRogers said that these channels would be discontinued on November 15, 2019.

Do you have any additional information that you can share with us at this time?  Thanks!

We’re excited to partner with Stingray to bring our customers access to their music library. At this time, we don’t have any additional information to share but we’ll have more details soon.

We regularly review the channels that are available in Flex to offer our customers the channels that they love. Stingray was swapped due to changing viewing habits from our customers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@schmoggles 

You might not have to do that? Depending on your TV.
Many TVs will have an optical audio out.
It will output whatever is being fed into it, out to the AVR, etc through it.

SO HDMI from rogers to TV, optical from TV to AVR.

I do this on my TV, for any of the smart functions on it, to be able to have the surround sound on that content.

Product Manager
Product Manager

@-G- wrote:

@Datalink wrote:

This is still a custom install, requiring a tech to install the service.  The question is, will this ever migrate to a self install?  Reading thru some of the posts regarding Ignite TV, it would appear that Rogers has a lot of work to do on their backend systems before this ever becomes a self install service, if ever.  

Actually, go to https://www.rogers.com/web/consumer/ignite-bundles/get-iptv

... and click on "See Full Details" at the bottom of the page.  The first line reads:

> Taxes extra. One-time installation fee of $149.99 applies (waived for self-install).

I suspect that this might be contractual boilerplate that got pasted in error but I would still be interested to hear what the Ignite TV Product Managers have to say.  For Internet and TV?  Maybe.  For Home Phone?  I dunno.  I just can't see (most) end-customers disconnecting the incoming wires from their old Bell service and patching the XB6 into their home phone wiring.  The (subcontracted) Install techs seem to have a hard enough time getting this right... unless Rogers has uploaded an amazing DIY video to their YouTube channel.

We are actively working in the area of Self Install for Ignite and will have more details to share soon.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Rogers_D wrote:

@-G- wrote:

I would also like to ask about what's happening with regard to the Stingray Music channels.  Back in August, Stingray issued a press release about the new deal that they signed with Rogers.

The press release hinted at exciting things to come.  However, since that deal got signed, the Stingray Music Video channels have been removed from the Flex Channel lineup and an announcement on MyRogers said that these channels would be discontinued on November 15, 2019.

Do you have any additional information that you can share with us at this time?  Thanks!

We’re excited to partner with Stingray to bring our customers access to their music library. At this time, we don’t have any additional information to share but we’ll have more details soon.

We regularly review the channels that are available in Flex to offer our customers the channels that they love. Stingray was swapped due to changing viewing habits from our customers.

Thanks very much.  From the wording, I was kinda hoping that those channels would be bundled together along with all of the other Stingray channels.  However, I understand the business reasons behind making changes to the channel lineup.

FYI, I subscribed to one of those channels with Ignite TV.  When the Stingray video channels got removed from the Flex Channel list, an unrelated channel swap by Tech Support caused it to be dropped from my subscription.  Digital TV made those those channels available in a theme pack but Ignite TV did not; they were only available as Flex Channels.   So... I had those channels in my guide but had absolutely no way to subscribe to them.  I don't remember if any other Ignite TV package (other than Premier) ever had the ability to subscribe to those channels either.