Ask an Expert: Ignite TV Pt. II

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ask an Expert: Ignite TV Pt. II

@Square wrote:

Thank you.  Yes, I should have mentioned ALL my recordings do not play proper DD 5.1.  Either the Cloud PVR is not doing some thing right, or the Cloud Recordings do not work properly with Optical connection.  The technician is coming tomorrow, but I have my doubt he can fix it.

Please explain to us how you are connected in full detail. Ignite doesn't have an optical connection.  If you're going "through" your TV via optical, it may be affecting the audio signal.  Re-read the FAQ in my previous post because you need to have the TV's audio menu set up properly for DD5.1 to get through.  I don't understand how you can have DD5.1 live and not on recorded programming because it comes down the identical pipe to the box.  Also, if your AVR is showing a DD5.1 but it's improperly encoded that was covered in my previous post and again, I don't understand how you say you're not getting DD5.1 when your AVR shows incoming DD5.1. Something is amiss in your setup.

It would also help if you advised us which channel(s) you're recording and which programming is not coming in as DD5.1. Also, please clarify if you're actually seeing a 5.1 signal but improperly encoded, or if you're seeing a DD2.0 signal.  These are two totally different matters.  Also, which audio mode are you now on in your audio settings of your Ignite Box.

I've Been Here Awhile

As self install is not available, Is there an install fee for Ignite TV?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

It's not my setup.  It's a Cloud PVR problem.  I have tried all things and checked everything on the Tv end by switching Audio from Auto to Digital, using different inputs and outputs, turning off CEC, ARC, nothing changes.  When I switched to Expert mode like @Biollw suggested my AVR switches modes now, but on ALL my recordings, the AVR is not switching modes, and all recordings are "improperly encoded" as you mentioned.  Also my apps on my tv,
(netflix, prime, etc) are all working with DD 5.1, even my built in Chromecast in my tv work.   Will see what the technician will say tomorrow.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@schmoggles 

Coming back to your lobby camera question.

The previous cable boxes, were able to sort of cheat/allow these, as the lobby cameras were broadcasting on a tunable cable channel, which the box could then tune to.
The current  boxes, dont have a tuner, and are not connected to the TV cable at all.  So the box itself will not be able to view the cameras.

BUT.. there should be a workaround.
(and yes, this would be an issue for someone getting bell fibe, etc as well)
When they would come in and set up ignite, normally they will now disconnect all other cable connections, other than the one going to the modem.  In this case, i would get them to leave any of the connections going to any of the rooms where there is the TV which you want to have the Lobby accessible.
Have them set up the ignite stuff as normal, which it will input via the HDMI to your TV.
Then run the cable from the wall, into the TV tuner on the TV itself.  You might have to go through the 'scan for channels' to find them.

Then when you want to view the lobby would be changing the TV inputs to the TV setting.  Then back to HDMI for the rogers.

I understand this is not optimal.. but with almost every service moving toward IPTV and not having cable tuners in the device.. this will be the norm moving forward 😞

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Square :  I have the following additional comments and questions.

1. Have you tried recording a channel that is DD2.0 like CP24?

2. Would you be able to connect the ignite box directly to the AVR via HDMI as a test?  This would confirm if the TV is the problem.  Why are you not connected this way (directly to the AVR) in the first place?  

3. If a direct HDMI connection to the AVR works, then you would need to find the audio setting in the TV that allows for DD5.1 passthrough.  But, as I indicated in the FAQ, not all TVs allow for proper DD5.1 passthrough, although most newer ones do.  Passthrough is different from the TV apps which may produced audio that's different from a "passthrough".

4. That audio setting mentioned in item 3 above, would usually change the TV's output to PCM when not on DD5.1 mode. 

5. I assume you've rebooted the modem and boxes by now...

I'm Here A Lot

.....run the cable from the wall, into the TV tuner on the TV itself.  You might have to go through the 'scan for channels' to find them.  Then when you want to view the lobby would be changing the TV inputs to the TV setting.  Then back to HDMI for the rogers.

Thanks @Gdkitty 

Yes, that was going to be my default solution... but I thought (dreamed) the Xi6 might allow for some user specified local unicast streams.  In my case, it's not a MDU, but I do have "lobby cameras", which are available on a locally inserted NTSC channel - but also as rtsp on my local IP network.  

Feature request? 🙂

I Plan to Stick Around

Currently have Rogers digital TV with 6 boxes. I have 2 questions:

1. Can I get 6 boxes with Ingite?

2. How many TV streams come with Ignite?  

I've Been Here Awhile

Are the local RogersTV channels included in Ignite TV? In London it would be channel 13 on digital cable

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Once rather frustrating things about Ignite TV is that packages, such as Popular, don't allow you to select popular Bell Media-owned channels as Flex Channels.  Lower-end tiers offer less choice and less value.

If you look at: https://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv/crave

Crave + Movies + HBO with STARS (at $23.95 / month) is only available on Digital TV

To get the same on Ignite, you have to pay $19.95 / month for Crave + Movies + HBO and then pay an additional $8.95 / month for Stars... or be forced to go with a higher-tier package that includes (unwanted and unneeded) US Superstations.

Flex channels are great, in theory.  With Premier, we can finally get rid of "zombie channels" that nobody watches anymore.  However, it would be nice to get better value in the lower-tier packages and the theme packs that we subscribe to as well.

I Plan to Stick Around

We have Ignite with 2 boxes.  Is there or what is the cost for 1 more box?