Ask an Expert: Ignite TV Pt. II

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ask an Expert: Ignite TV Pt. II

I was hoping you guys would allow us to use custom DNS servers on the XB6 like on the previous Hitron Gateway. Is this something that is going to be made available with a future firmware update? Also if we put the XB6 in Bridge mode it will still broadcast a hidden WiFi SSID, will that go away in the future? 

Lastly will the XB6 be getting DOCSIS 3.1 upstream like the Hitrons?

I'm Here A Lot

If you can, try to get a Technicolor XB6; they have a Broadcom chipset.  Also try to get the newer Xi6-T (Technicolor) set-top boxes.

Very interesting indeed... and I'm just finding out via this board about the fact the Radios can't be disabled on the XB6!  - wow, this really is of great concern for the same reasons already outlined by other users earlier.   I have my own AP's and don't need to add more noise in this spectrum.

I'm wondering if this is part of the path to the 5G future - which has it's own concerns... just keep a spectrum analyzer at the ready to see what's growing the in RF landscape around you daily 🙂

I will definitely ask the tech about the "Technicaolor" version availability for sure!

thanks!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@schmoggles wrote:

Very interesting indeed... and I'm just finding out via this board about the fact the Radios can't be disabled on the XB6!  - wow, this really is of great concern for the same reasons already outlined by other users earlier.   I have my own AP's and don't need to add more noise in this spectrum.

The good news is that you can still work around this to a certain extent.  Perform a wireless survey and find 2.4 and 5GHz channels that will cause the least amount of disruption to you and to your neighbours, ideally channels that are neither "good" nor "bad".  Configure those channels manually in the XB6, save them, then disable WiFi.  You'll still see a bunch of hidden (WPA2 Personal and WPA/WPA2 Enterprise) SSIDs active but your channel assignments will stick... and if you've done things right, it should keep any potential disruption to a minimum, even if neighbouring gear selects its Wi-Fi channels automatically.

I've Been Here Awhile

Can Ignite TV be self installed or is it necessary for a technician to come to your residence?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This is still a custom install, requiring a tech to install the service.  The question is, will this ever migrate to a self install?  Reading thru some of the posts regarding Ignite TV, it would appear that Rogers has a lot of work to do on their backend systems before this ever becomes a self install service, if ever.  

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Ok, new question...

Curious how "lobby cameras" are being implemented on this platform?  Can you identify personal rtsp streams for such use?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

This is still a custom install, requiring a tech to install the service.  The question is, will this ever migrate to a self install?  Reading thru some of the posts regarding Ignite TV, it would appear that Rogers has a lot of work to do on their backend systems before this ever becomes a self install service, if ever.  

Actually, go to https://www.rogers.com/web/consumer/ignite-bundles/get-iptv

... and click on "See Full Details" at the bottom of the page.  The first line reads:

> Taxes extra. One-time installation fee of $149.99 applies (waived for self-install).

I suspect that this might be contractual boilerplate that got pasted in error but I would still be interested to hear what the Ignite TV Product Managers have to say.  For Internet and TV?  Maybe.  For Home Phone?  I dunno.  I just can't see (most) end-customers disconnecting the incoming wires from their old Bell service and patching the XB6 into their home phone wiring.  The (subcontracted) Install techs seem to have a hard enough time getting this right... unless Rogers has uploaded an amazing DIY video to their YouTube channel.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yup, the phone service will remain a problem going forward.  

Speaking of that, ok, Ask the Expert, expert.  Whats the Ring Equivalency Number for both the Arris and Technicolor XB6.  I've asked this previously and I've never had a response.  For the responding expert, here's a Wikipedia reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringer_equivalence_number

So, the REN number in Canada if I remember this correctly is 5 which translates to a number of telephones in the house, whose total REN does not exceed 5.  If the modem's REN is too low, it won't ring the connected telephones, or, the ring won't be noticeable.  These problems have been reported by new users, so, whats the REN for both XB6 models?  

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Lol, my Ignite installer had it easy, I did about 50% of the work myself.  The hardest part was extending my phone cable and finding the adapter for it to work.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

So, the REN number in Canada if I remember this correctly is 5 which translates to a number of telephones in the house, whose total REN does not exceed 5.  If the modem's REN is too low, it won't ring the connected telephones, or, the ring won't be noticeable.  These problems have been reported by new users, so, whats the REN for both XB6 models?  

I remember seeing a REN of 3 (or was it 3 REN per port?) in a draft of the Arris XB6 telephony specs but I can't find an active link to that document.