Arris XB6 Noisy

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Arris XB6 Noisy

Yeah I have the Arris.

johnkoensgen
I've Been Around

Hi,
I just got the new Ignite modem/router and we"re finding the fan really intrusive. Actually, I have hearing loss in the high end and I can hear it. It's driving us a bit nuts. Is there any solution? Otherwise it seems to work well.
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@johnkoensgen  Welcome to the Community!

There is really nothing that you can do about the fan noise.  I have had two Technicolor XB6 gateways from two different production batches and the fan noise was the same on both.  The original poster on this thread complained about the noise from the Arris XB6, and that version of the XB6 has a quieter fan.

Apparently, Rogers is in the process of taking the XB6-A out of circulation, so I don't think that customers can ask for that version anymore.  The only other option is to move the modem to another location, where the modem can still function properly but fan noise will be less bothersome.  If you try to hide the modem or enclose it, it could block the Wi-Fi signal and impede network connectivity in your home and/or cause your modem to overheat.

Are you just getting fan noise or do you also have vibration/internal rattling making the problem worse, that goes away when you apply pressure to the case or re-orient the modem?

Poohbear300
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm having the same issue. I need it on my desk for the ethernet, so its 3 ft from me and the fan has a constant  high-pitched sound that's really annoying when trying to work. The fan is on 24/7.  I have 4 fans in my desktop computer and none of them are as loud as this XB6 modem.  I can put it farther away and use wifi, but working from home I sometimes get "your connection is unstable" in Zoom meetings when I use wifi. I need the ethernet cable for 100% internet stability. I guess I'll just have to find a different provider that uses a quieter modem?

How did Rogers overlook this? In a pandemic where a lot of us are forced to work from home, you'd think they'd go with the highest quality modem, not a loud annoying one.

Poohbear300
I've Been Here Awhile

I asked the Dell technician on the phone if i could get the Arris version, but he said they have no control over which version we get. I already asked for the modem to be replaced last week, but the replacement was just as loud.

How would one request the Arris version?  Both XB6 modems that i got have no label to indicate if they're the Arris or Technicolor version. 

Bplayer
I'm a Trusted Contributor

There is no question that it is noisy, but cannot you just use a longer ethernet cable if you really need to have a wired connection? WiFi may require testing for the best placement or the addition of one or more Pods, but should be doable. Be positive and you should be able to find a workable solution, or give up and try another provider. Your choice.

Poohbear300
I've Been Here Awhile

No I can't use a longer ethernet cable because the other cable outlet is too far.  Being positive? This isn't a free service, I'm a paying customer to a multi-billion dollar corporation that has a noisy modem when the competition does not.  So, the decision is pretty easy for me, and thank goodness we have so many internet providers in the GTA that I can just go to one of them.

Not sure how Rogers allowed this modem to be their mainstream modem, they don't have a QA department? The XB6 modem is louder than my Desktop PC, which is absurd.

Bplayer
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I'll make one last try. Are you suggesting that the desktop is the only practical place for the modem to be located? I cannot imaging that being the case, but maybe you can explain why. A longer coax cable would allow the modem to be relocated and an ethernet cable could be 100' long.

You could try swapping the modem (maybe another might be a little quieter), or as you initially suggested switch to another provider. Good luck with whatever change you make.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Poohbear300 wrote:

I'm having the same issue. I need it on my desk for the ethernet, so its 3 ft from me and the fan has a constant  high-pitched sound that's really annoying when trying to work. The fan is on 24/7.  I have 4 fans in my desktop computer and none of them are as loud as this XB6 modem.

Some Technicolor XB6 gateways (the latest batches???) are quieter than others.  None are silent.  Mine is located in my basement, where the noise will not bother me.  I installed another for a family member earlier this week in the main living space.  I positioned it in way that would maximize WiFi coverage in the home, orient the fan so that it would be less obtrusive, and placed the modem in an area that would maximize cooling so that the fan will not need to run at the highest speed... and this was successful and the fan noise is barely noticeable.

I can put it farther away and use wifi, but working from home I sometimes get "your connection is unstable" in Zoom meetings when I use wifi. I need the ethernet cable for 100% internet stability.

If your computer is in the same room as your XB6, it should have excellent WiFi connectivity... unless you placed the XB6 in an area that provides poor coverage to other parts of your home and you have active devices in those areas, with marginal connections, that are causing your WiFi performance to degrade.

I guess I'll just have to find a different provider that uses a quieter modem?

How did Rogers overlook this? In a pandemic where a lot of us are forced to work from home, you'd think they'd go with the highest quality modem, not a loud annoying one.

Rogers didn't design the XB6.  They licenced the Xfinity hardware and software from Comcast, and we're stuck with the good and bad.  It would be less of a problem if Rogers would only let us use other approved modems with their Internet service.  Right now, TPIA customers have better modem choices available to them than what is available from Rogers.

tbuffone
I've Been Around

Yes, I just switched to Rogers Ignite and am having the same issue . .there is an annoying hum coming from my WIFI hub Router! I just checked and I have the "Technicolor" version . . . . is the Arris quieter??