Arris XB6 Noisy

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Arris XB6 Noisy

Just had Ignite TV with 150U installed this weekend. Has anyone noticed the Arris XB6 a little noisey. I can squeeze the modem casing and the noise stops. It is most likely a vibration from an internal fan. Wondering if it is worth my time to have the modem replaced.

***EDITED LABELS***

Highlighted

Re: Arris XB6 Noisy

Hello, @Pronk14.

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

I appreciate joining the Community and posting your query. I can see such noise from the modem may become annoying. I suggest discussing this matter with your Concierge support and request to swap the modem. 

Community - anybody else experiencing a similar issue with Arris XB6 modem?

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

The xb6 modems are the only ones with fans that being said usually they are not louder than a computer fan if so you may have a flty unit. It also could be a lose internal screw... But it easier to replace the unit and let Rogers refurbish the unit
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Actually I was just searching for this topic as I noticed the fan. Yes, it is a lot noisier than the Coda modem was. I looked high and low for the origin, thought it might be other equipment but ended up at the router. It becomes very annoying as I am to be working from home for the next two weeks. And for those saying that I need to get used to it: No I do not, there was no noise with the previous 1Gb connection so I am not accepting that there is noise now. Maybe the ignite bundle is the "cats meow" but for me this is a step backwards. None of my routers or switches or UPS decvices have noisy fans, yes they do have fans and the noise from the XB6 is not overwhelmingly loud, just annoying.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@aelaan  Which version of the XB6 gateway do you have, Arris or Technicolor?  The fan on the Arris gateway is softer and quieter.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I have the Technicolor version 2.2
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Just started up with the Ignite TV, switching from Rogers cable.  A few questions I have ( rogers chat line really busy):

1) Is the noise from the Ignite box unavoidable? It whirs like a small fridge.

2) How do I now watch TV on my laptop?. I lost the rogersanyplaceTV privelege by making this shift.

3) Ignite TV seems to be delayed by about 30 seconds from cable ( for a short while we had both systems running so I could compare) . 

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

The XB6 contains a fan so it does make some noise, but I do not hear it when the TV is on.

Log on to your Rogers account, MyRogers, TV, and look for Watch Now. Then save the web link so you can go there directly.

Likely due to the IPTV architecture. Not an issue for met.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have one in my bedroom.. not super close, its across the room, but can not hear it at all even in dead silence.  I wonder if that box might have an issue if its that loud?

You can watch TV via a computer webpage, via https://ignitetv.rogers.com/
Or via the specific app for your device.
This site allows you to watch live TV (most channels) while at home, some while remote.
Watch on demand content, as well as you can set recordings and watch them from there as well.

As Bplayer said though, the delay i think is unavoidable due to the streaming nature.
Most cases it shouldnt be super horrible, its not like one would miss the start of a broadcast, everything is delayed.  The biggest complaint I have seen has been live sports.. where someone say has their window open and hears someone on regular cable cheer a split second before you local see it happen.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gdkitty  Do you have the Arris XB6?  The fan on that version is quieter and has a lower pitch than the Technicolor XB6.