Arris XB6 (Ignite TV Puma 7 modem) - General question / Answers

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Arris XB6 (Ignite TV Puma 7 modem) - General question / Answers

Figured i would start a thread for just some general question/answers on the new VB6 Arris modem with the Ignite TV service.

***Edited Labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Arris XB6 (Ignite TV Puma 7 modem) - General question / Answers

Anyone who is using this unit... IN gateway mode (not bridged).

Have switched the default range?  This unit defaults to 10.0.0.1... which Initially i really didnt care about.
Other than it blocks out my Teamviewer, as it thinks i am using it corporately. 

I have no issues changing it myself, etc to 192.x.x.x.... BUT i wonder if the TV units will have any issues?
Shouldnt really, i guess.. as i think the TV boxes connect v6?

I also have the Eero wireless extenders.. dont want those to go funny either..

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Getting the Arris VB6 modem instead of the Hitron CODA-4582 - Any benefits

I currently have the Hitron CODA-4582 modem on the 500/20 plan and noticed that there is now the Arris VB6 modem.

A few questions:

- Can I swap my CODA modem to the Arris VB6?

- What advantages would I experience in using this modem?

- What disadvantages  would I experience in using this modem?

I would like to increase the wireless range on the 5Ghz band and was hoping the new modem would do that.

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

- Can I swap my CODA modem to the Arris VB6?

No, there is no Arris VB6 modem.  Its the Arris XB6 modem.  This is an Intel Puma 7 modem, same as the CODA-5682.  The main difference is that the XB6 is a telephony modem, that is, it has two telephone ports at the rear of the modem, which the 4582 does not have.  The wifi chipset on the XB6 is much better than the 4582, but, its a moot point until Rogers provides an explanation of what features onboard the chipsets are actually enabled and which are disabled.  Until then, I think you can consider the wifi systems onboard the rogers modem as very basic wifi systems.  Too bad as the XB6 wifi chipset looks very promising. 

Now, as for the main question, probably not, unless you subscribed to the Ignite TV service.  But, Rogers hasn't stated anywhere, at least not from what I've seen, that the XB6 is absolutely reserved for Ignite TV customers.  Most likely it is, but, its not stated anywhere.  Maybe the moderators can clear the air on this subject.

- What advantages would I experience in using this modem?

Can't think of any except perhaps the wifi, if the chipset was fully enabled. 

- What disadvantages  would I experience in using this modem?

The XB6 only has two ethernet ports, where the 4582 has four ethernet ports.  So, if you rely on the modem for more than two ethernet ports, you would have to buy a gigabit switch if you swapped the modems.

Personal opinion, Hitron has been manufacturing Intel Puma 7 modems longer than Arris and probably has a better grip on the issues that the chipset has.  That experience level will narrow over time, but, I think that Hitron is still probably further ahead at this point.  Arris is a bigger company as far as I'm aware, but, Hitron has been grappling with the Puma 7 chipset for a longer period of time.  But, hey, I could be wrong about my opinion.  

I think that if you're looking for better wifi, you need to consider a third party modem, or, subscribe to the Ignite TV service, which will bring the XB6 and possibly the eros wifi mesh network with it, if its required.  That's an additional cost, on top of the Ignite TV service.

Edit:  One more item that will be of interest.  There is a Technicolour (Broadcom BCM-3390 chipset) XB6 that is out for employee testing.  I haven't heard of any results to date.  That modem, in theory should be a much better modem than the Intel Puma 7 XB6.  Time will tell is that is actually true, but, if I was looking for an XB6 modem, I'd probably wait until the BCM-3390 XB6 was released to Rogers customers 

I Plan to Stick Around

Good that there is going to be a technical thread on the Internet and Ignite rather than just the TV stuff.

I am considering going to Ignite, looked at everything on the web site here and even went to a Rogers store and Lo and Behold there was a sales guy who seemed to know a fair bit about it.

I have many devices , computers of various sorts, NAs box, Raspberry Pi and phones, tablets and printers.   Computers on Ethernet and most of the rest on WiFi.  802.11 ac for those that can and 802.11n for the older things.  Everything that has V6 capability is connected to prefer V6.     My Rogers modem is a bridged CGNACMR  ( the black vertical one) on a 150 MBs link.   Small house so no problems with range.

So I drew a  few  network maps.

1) current set up  An ASUS RT86, an 8 port GB switch and 100 MBs Powerline to the basement.

2) Ignite as it comes out of the box  keep the switch or maybe buy a 16 port, keep the Powerline

3) Ignite with the modem bridged.  Just replace the CGN with the XB6

I would probably have the TVs on WiFi  but Ethernet could be managed.

I will monitor this thread for info and when I go to Ignite post as to what I ended up with.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Thanks @Datalink
I've Been Around

As a Rogers employee The XB6 is Only for the Ignite services and you are correct if you are looking for better Wi-Fi the Eero or own router would be the best option. We also provide free switches to compensate for the loss of ports

I've Been Around

Arris XB6 Latency (Flaws in the Puma 6/7 chipset)

I recently upgraded to the rogers ignite internet/tv package. We had issues immediately but nothing that we hadn't come to expect from Canadian ISP's. This, however, changed drastically in the last 2 months. I started to experience 2+ hour long spikes in latency that fell in the range of 200-1000 ping. I contacted rogers support numerous times (a few of which I was told there was no issue) and one of which had a technician come to fix my issue. None of these fixes worked which led me to believe that I was experiencing issues due to overheating. Troubleshooting on my own didn't help, this included attempting to secure a heatsink from an old build to the chassis with a piece of string to buying a desk fan. After hours of research I was unable to find any fix to this problem. This research was not entirely useless because I was able to find out about the chipset the modem/router uses. This chipset is the cause of another issue I had been having, perceived latency in online games even though speedtests show no variation/jitter. So i'm stuck. I payed 400 dollars for a modem/router rental that is flawed in almost every way possible and is the only modem/router offered with the package. The only "solution", and I use that term lightly, is to spend even more money buying my own router to set up bridge mode. This might solve the large and extended spike issue but still won't solve the fact that the hardware of the XB6 is inherently flawed.  To add some more fuel to the fire, I am in a 2 year contract with rogers. I can't cancel this project without paying a massive cancellation fee. I doubt that would be of any help anyways given that my experiences with Bell have been poor at best and most other "ISP's" are just re sellers of either Rogers or Bell. So that brings me to why i'm here. After reading some of the other threads I've noticed that many of the members that post on these forums are more knowledgeable/approachable than support who make me feel like i'm talking to a robot. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has them.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am not playing anything thats insanely critical ping/jitter wise, but generally i have not noticed anything out of the ordinary in the things that I am playing (WoW, etc), using that same modem.  But the game may not be effected quite as much.

But your right.. going to a 3rd party.. IF part of the problem is something more INFRASTRUCTURE wise in the area which is causing it (node which is getting overloaded, etc), wont be fixed by changing to someone who used the same infrastructure.

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm currently using the CODA 4582 and it's finally working perfectly. I'm on the gigabit plan and I'm virtually getting 1gig download speed. I also have a MOCA system set up with 3 routers in bridge mode. All of which are getting 1gig speeds. I'm considering making the change to the new ignite package but I'm concerned that I'm going to regret it given how well my current set up is working. 

Has anyone with gigabit speed switched from the CODA to the ignite? If so, is it comparable? Are there any issues getting 1gig speed on the ignite modem?

Thank you