cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple has released Safari 14 - no Flash support at all. IgniteTV Web affected

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor

On September 16th Apple removed any and all Flash support from Safari.  This means anyone who uses Safari (the vast majority of Mac users ONLY use it) will not be able to watch IgniteTV via the web.  

Comcast, who controls this software, said back in 2018 that a new version would be coming "soon".  It is still not out.

Other browsers, and Adobe themselves, are dropping support for Flash at the end of December 2020.  This deadline has been known for a long time.  

This post is partially a question, do any of the Rogers people know when this is to be released?  The second part is informational for those who may be stuck in this situation.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Apple has released Safari 14 - no Flash support at all. IgniteTV Web affected

pmacpherson68
I plan to stick around

Looks like the new site is up and its fully compatible with Safari and doesnt need flash!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Apple has released Safari 14 - no Flash support at all. IgniteTV Web affected

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It sounds like Comcast has started their transition away from Flash: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Adobe-Flash-Discontinued-December-2020/m-p/3366162

All that I have heard so far are rumours, so I can't pass on any specifics about the new DRM implementation, nor do I know anything about Rogers' plans for upgrading https://ignitetv.rogers.com .

ReneHache
I plan to stick around

I was wondering the same thing about the end of flash, what will happen after december 31.

Usually when I only have 1-2 shows or watch or manage recordings, I just use the web interface instead of turning on the TV, so it’s very practical for me. Specially that I live in a (non-sound proof) apartment building, I prefer to use my laptop with my headphones on. I know that the IgniteTV box have bluetooth, but my bluetooth headphones only last 3-4 hours per charge, it’s annoying, I prefer wired headphones.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
That is not much info, but good news. I bet they will treat Rogers as one region and flip the switch all at once.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Don_Ca wrote:
That is not much info, but good news. I bet they will treat Rogers as one region and flip the switch all at once.

Comcast would have developed the new video player but it would be Rogers leading the roll-out here.

Furthermore, switching over to an HTML 5-based player is also not as simple as "flipping a switch".  Another thing that I have heard is that Comcast may be moving away from Adobe Primetime and adopting other CDM 's such as Google Widevine, Apple FairPlay, and Microsoft PlayReady.  Adobe Primetime also provides things like an authentication framework, that also integrates tightly with Adobe's DRM, so that may also necessitate the migration to the W3 Credential Management API.  Regardless of what the exact underlying technical changes will be, any transition away from Flash will involve upgrades to various services in the back-end.  It's not a trivial endeavour.  There's a reason (actually, probably MANY) why the Flash replacement has been dragging on for ages.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
Rogers is running out of time. I have heard no indication they are even testing the new solution without Flash. I think they need to get onto Comcast to get this done, they have it in the US now.

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

FLASH player is not going to be supported after December.

What is happening to replace it?   And is Rogers ready?

TwinRabbits
I've been around

Would be nice if Rogers was communicating what's happening with out customers trying to find an answer. ROGERS  what is the update on the timing of the switch from FLASH based web app?

FYI, @RogersTony  provided us with an update here.

@RogersTony wrote:

Hello Community,

I can completely understand your concerns with how the decommissioning of the Flash Player will affect your Ignite TV service and streaming via the web browser.

We are updating our platform with alternative standards that would replace the need for Adobe Flash. We’ll automatically replace Flash with a new platform.

Between now and December 31, you can continue using the web portal and enabling Flash if asked.

RogersTony

I know that this is less-than-ideal for those using systems without Adobe Flash Player support, but at least we have confirmation that the migration/update, that we have all been waiting for, is finally in the works.

crockbucket69
I've been here awhile

This still does not explain what the process is for watching Rogers Ignite TV on a computer after Dec. 31, 2020 when Flash Player deprecates and can not longer be used to watch Ignite with a browser. 

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
You will still go to the same URL, it will just be HTML5 once Comcast makes the switch for Rogers.

ReneHache
I plan to stick around

It seen that the web portal got a small update, not sure if it affect flash and html5 or not, but since yesterday I notice that when you click on more info on a french movie or series, it now give you the original title under the french title, it's cool, this will be a real time saver for one of my project. 🙂

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
It is still Flash, I noticed the logon has changed, that may be a step in the switch over.

pmacpherson68
I plan to stick around

Looks like the new site is up and its fully compatible with Safari and doesnt need flash!

Topic Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 7 in conversation