cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple TV Authentication not working for CNN Go?

Jackie68
I've been here awhile

CNN will not authenticate via Rogers for Apple TV? This was working fine before very recently.  The authentication times out even though it says 'Activation Successful!'  I have an active account in good standing and was not able to speak to anyone via the support chat and or email.  I don't have multiple hours to engage in phone support.

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Apple TV Authentication not working for CNN Go?

FIL3
I've been here awhile

It's the evening of March 31, and I just tried the app today about a week since the last time, and all is working as it should.  My app version is also 2.10.3.

It appears CNNGo has fixed the problem.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

RogersYasmine

Greetings @Jackie68!

Welcome to the community and great first post! 😊

It's certainly strange that the CNN GO app stopped working so suddenly when it was working okay before! I have a few questions for you to help troubleshoot the issue:

1. When is the last time you were able to log in to the CNN GO app using your Apple TV? 

2. Are you able to access any of the other GO apps using the same login credentials?

3. Are you able to log in to your MyRogers profile via a web browser or through the app?

4. Does the CNN GO app work using any other devices?

Please be advised that for Apple TV in HD and 4K, you need to be using tvOS 13.0+. Also, you must be subscribed to the channel you are attempting to access and have an active MyRogers profile.

We look forward to your response!

RogersLaura

Jackie68
I've been here awhile

I am reticent to try other Apple TV apps because they don't have to re-authenticate often.  Other Apple TV apps that are dependent on Rogers authentication are currently working fine including Global TV, CTV, City TV, TSN and Sportsnet.  I just ran a number of antivirus scans on multiple devices to ensure it is not some issue on our end.  I am also including the screens that show the code given the successful notification and in a later screen shot the timeout screen.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0QsS0S3r2rlnvQHGp0n3erblQ (Activation Successful notification)

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0z2he4Hp01ztMRZ4F7FVuJJdQ (Initial activation screen & code)

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0xkGzCSrM7GibK8GQ8cBsWoFg (Screen that signal hangs on via MacBook Pro)

Gdorrett
I've been here awhile
Exact same issue. Is there a fix?

Jackie68
I've been here awhile

Haven't found one yet... and Rogers doesn't seem to care either way.  I suspect its the move to ignite.  'Rogersondemand' is the authorizing service and it seems to hang there

\

Greetings @Jackie68!

We do care and we are here to help but you did not answer all of the questions that @RogersYasmine asked.

Would you mind letting us know if the CNN Go app works on any other device other than your Apple TV? Our intention behind asking this question is to find out if this is an Apple TV specific issue or if it's a bigger issue than that.

Please let us know at your earliest convenience so we can continue to the next steps.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Gdorrett
I've been here awhile
Laura
1. Last time I used the app was about a week ago. Then I had a power outage and had to reboot everything and all the apps I was using with Apple TV asked for verification again. All other Apps were retired using my Rogers account no problem.
2. I can log into my Rogers account no problem. The only issue is CNN on this Appletv and tv monitor. All other Apps are working perfectly including other Apps such as sports net and Tsn with verification as a Roger subscriber.
The CNN app works perfectly on. Y phone and IPad using my Rogers account verification. Again it is just the Samsung Tv and Appletv combo and only CNN.

Understood. Thank you for clarifying @Gdorrett!

Since the app works on other devices like your phone, I have to assume that the issue is device specific. If it works on one device, it should work on all supported devices.

Have you attempted yet to uninstall/reinstall the apps on the TV? I would also double check to make sure there aren't any pending updates for your TVs.

Regards,

RogersCorey

rvsoo7
I plan to stick around

I can confirm this is a problem.  I've never registered to CNN Go until I saw this thread so I tried it just now.  I have Rogers Ignite TV Premier and Apple TV 4th generation.  I added CNN Go from the App Store, went to sign in, then on my computer I went to the activation screen on CNN and typed in the code on my Apple TV.  The dialog box says:

Activation Successful!

But on the CNN's website it says "connecting..." forever, and the activation screen on the Apple TV doesn't disappear.  So something is definitely wrong.

Gdorrett
I've been here awhile
I have done everything you suggested multiple times. And still does not work.
As you can see from others in this chain I am not only one with this problem.
As we are all using Apple tv 4 but with different monitors I do not think it is a device issue. It seems to me that it is an issue with the Rogers activation not communicating with the App.

Jackie68
I've been here awhile

I have tried other apps as well as CNN Go on all other platforms.  On the Apple TV 4K CNN Go is not authenticating.  

Hello @Gdorrett and @Jackie68,

We appreciate you trying the suggested troubleshooting steps and getting back to us with the additional info. 🙂

As it does seem to be specific to using the CNN GO app with an Apple TV, let's try to get some tickets submitted so the matter can be further investigated on the back end.

If possible, please send us a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please check out our blog.

Thank you kindly!
RogersLaura

bmva
I've been here awhile

I just ran into this issue today - very frustrating. The CNN Go app was working fine until today, when I had to re-start my Apple TV 4K. No luck re-activating the app after that. I also tried uninstalling / re-installing the app, without luck.

I can also confirm that all other apps (CTV, Global, etc) that require activation are working fine.

Look forward to this being fixed.

FIL3
I've been here awhile

Exact same problem.  CNNGo working on all other platforms and all other apps that require Rogers authentication working properly.  Appears that Rogers authentication is not reaching CNN/AppleTV.

I too will confirm this is a real issue and one that cannot be resolved on the user end. Can someone from Rogers yplease provide us with an update/solution? Has anybody from Rogers Support spoken to anyone at Apple yet?

Dorffio
I've been around
Yes it’s systemic, I have tried with Bell and Cogeco and that works, it’s just Rogers’s Oauth that doesn’t work

Soniac
I've been here awhile
Is there an update on this? It’s been a couple of weeks.

loyd1
I've been around

Is anyone at Rogers working on this issue? We are having the same issue as outlined in this form. Can someone from Rogers post an update please?

Hello, @bmva, @FIL3, @jmerali, @Dorffio, @Soniac, & @loyd1

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums to you all! 🙂

We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention. We'll need to gather your info in order to escalate this matter for further investigation.

As per RogersLaura in Post 12 of this thread, please send us a private message so we can get the process started for you.

RogersTony

THOLMES1
I've been around

I have the same issue.  Is there a fix coming?

FIL3
I've been here awhile

To: RogersTony

Hi Tony, from everyone's shared experience its obvious that this problem is systemic.  This analogy likely simplifies the matter too much, but if my neighbourhood's power is out I wouldn't expect my breaker box to be the issue. 

General question to all, has anyone dealt with tech support one-on-one about this issue, and had the problem fixed?

Topic Stats