Anyone left Bell Fibe TV for Rogers Ignite TV?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Anyone left Bell Fibe TV for Rogers Ignite TV?

Dont know.. I guess for some people its fine.. and I dont mind watching SOME stuff on the computer.
(I watch a lot of youtube that way, etc).
But generally.. even when I am sitting at my computer.. i want to watch my TV (tv shows, movies, etc) regardless of source of regular TV or netflix, etc.. i want to watch it on the TV.
Why strain my eyes looking at the smaller screen when i have the big one there?

Rogers may get some people jumping on it, where there are less options.

As mentioned above.. if you are in a bigger area, you may have BELL FTTH or even just higher speed other options.
But you go into some more fringe areas, like where I live.  About 1/5 of the town can get bell fibe (so faster VDSL), but thats it, no FTTH.  The rest of town (including my house).. about 5mbps through bell, maybe 10mbps with a TPIA over DSL. 
Rogers comparatively? I can't get the 1gbps, but I am very easily sitting at 550+ on the 500gpbs plan right now.

I noticed that yesterday my local rogers shop did have their ignite TV box display up.  Wasnt able to go in though, so not sure if they actually have it LIVE though.

I've Been Around

Rogers, Is not what it promised.  I miss my bell fibe.  The price is better with Rogers but the service does not compare.  The internet is terrible and the tv service just doesn't come close

I Plan to Stick Around

So you have Ignite and the picture quality is worse?  I'm tempted to try Bell for its internet.  I have Rogers 500 Mbps now and it keeps disconnecting to game servers unless I unplug the modem and reboot it.  It's my second modem in 30 months.  The only thing I'm worried about is if 50 Mbps is enough for 10-12 devices.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Without a broader explanation from the user... its hard to say what that they said it worse.

Internet being worse?  
That can be subjective.  Overall like you said, in most cases with bell your looking at 50mbps stop speed, which should be enough for the TV, etc.. but if your a heavy usage household (a lot of gaming, etc, at the same time) it could become a choke point.
It may depends on the gaming, setup, etc too.   I primarily PC game and the ones that I run I have no issues, but other consoles, games, could have other issues like your having pitfall21.
Different providers have different partners in connecting to the rest of the internet, so may have different routing, etc.

Picture Quality?  While I havent owned Fibe myself, my brother in law does, and looks about the same to me?
(and he has a better TV than me).  Again may be subjective to each person, and their setups, etc.
Overall, I do find the PQ better on the ignite than it was on the regular rogers cable tv though.

Each person need to really check/compare themselves.

Most of the Rogers stores now I think have a demo set up. 
So a person can go in and check out the interface and how the PQ generally looks, etc.
Then the person can make the call themselves.
Really in the end, each person needs to choose what it best for them.
(for me, a no brainer.. since there is STILL no scheduled time for Fibe availability in my area.. so its max 5mbps DSL & satellite with bell, or rogers 500mbps and ignite Smiley Tongue)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@pitfall21 wrote:

1. So you have Ignite and the picture quality is worse? 

2. I'm tempted to try Bell for its internet.  I have Rogers 500 Mbps now and it keeps disconnecting to game servers unless I unplug the modem and reboot it.  It's my second modem in 30 months.  The only thing I'm worried about is if 50 Mbps is enough for 10-12 devices.

I spent ten years recently optimizing home theatres for hundreds of clients.  I can say unequivocally that Rogers PQ is superior, especially on 1080i channels since they are not down-converted to 720P as they are on Bell Fibe.  See my comments in the following post earlier in this thread.  That was before Ignite, which is better still.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Anyone-left-Bell-Fibe-TV-for-Rogers-Ignite-TV/m-p/425194#M4...

2. There are many surveys regarding internet speed and all of them have Rogers near the top of internet provider  ratings while Bell is often near the bottom (on average, especially in Fibe FTTN applications).  This doesn't mean that there cannot be exceptions (FTTH for example which can match Rogers Coax speeds), in specific instances, however, on average, Rogers provides what they promise (plus a bit more) while Bell often under-delivers.  I would think that 50 mbps for a heavy user is not enough.

I Plan to Stick Around

I just left Bell FTTN with Fibe TV and home phone

Had pair bonded 50mb with select package + HBO …. very expensive. Been on Bell internet since dialup, Fibe for 5+ years. My house is 1.2km from the node (way over the recommended). Near the end we had weekly reboots and tech visits every 4~5 weeks. Seems like our 30+ year lines were degrading fast. Limited to recording/watch 2 things at the same time. Had to juggle our records and constantly has conflict. Very frustrating!

Got the 500mb package with Popular and HBO. We initial had to reboot the modem 7 time over the first 2 days. It was replaced today. Have not had to reboot since. Almost had buyer regret!

Internet speed test are 590mb/22mb vs Bell at 48mb/8mb. Ping is 8ms vs Bell at 15. Noticeable improvements for a gamer! The Wi-Fi seems good

Home phone is the same quality but you get a lot of features that we did not get with Bell. They were all options at an extra cost like unlimited long distance in Canada,

All boxes are very small and hooked up on Wi-Fi. Two location have ethernet available so I may use that in the future. The picture quality is the same. You can choose the video output all the way to 4K60p … not that we are getting 4K. The toys are fun and work well for me. Voice command, surfing, recording all work as expected. The 30 second skip on Bell is missed but I can say "Fast Forward … 3 minutes" which is great and gets you close. The flex channels are nice also.

Day 3 is coming and hopefully we learn about more features. Will update next week!

I Plan to Stick Around

Don’t do it. I was Fibe FTTH best tv package/300 internet ... I have been struggling with transition to ignite. Bell gives promos/discounts on services , ignite DOES NOT and WILL NOT ( bundled) I’m on ignite premier/ 1G internet and extra sports theme packs. I am paying same as I was at bell ... fewer channels... picture quality was better fibe, talking remote is not as easy as it sounds, the remote is very temperamental . Additional TVs need to have strong signal to get ignite.... the modem is weak so u have to rent extenders. The additional equipment rental is $10/mo ( bell is $7 or free) , wifi extenders are $10/mo ( for 1 beacon ) each additional is $4/mo. Bell is $5/mo for 4 pods ( not to mention the modem wifi reach with bell is stronger ) flex channels are impossible to change around because it needs to be done on Rogers.com and that website makes life (and everything else) difficult.... took 8 days and 3 hours on phone just to get flex channels done the way I wanted them. Sports theme packs (seasonal) are more expensive (and I thought it was impossible to be more than bell ) and less selection ( bells far better for add ons). But Rogers is far superior to bell with customer service (although ignite is closed 10pm) I’m slowly getting used to ignite, it’s not been easy. And unfortunately not been worth it. I regret the switch. Bell fibe ftth is your best bet (at least for now. Ignite is a slow process and it new to everyone - Rogers included. There are many kinks to work out yet. I’d sit tight for now )
I've Been Here Awhile

is this true even if you hard wire   dont use the wifi

I've Been Here Awhile

is this true when hard wired

I Plan to Stick Around

Great review Redzzzz.  I really think Rogers needs to drop the install fee so more people try Ignite TV.  The only 2 things stopping me from moving to Bell are the 50 Mbps speed and the 2-year contract.  I live in a 30-year-old neighborhood that doesn't have FTTH yet from Bell.  I'm worried I will not have enough speed for my 4 family members.  Having said that, you said Bell has a nicer picture and that's important to me as I have a 4k TV.   Thanks!