Anyone left Bell Fibe TV for Rogers Ignite TV?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Anyone left Bell Fibe TV for Rogers Ignite TV?

ignite tv is not hardwire....only wifi so if you have more than 1 tv you really have no choice but to add the beacon/extenders to feed the additional.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Redzzzz the Xfinity Xi6 set top box can be run via ethernet if you so desire.  You can also run a mixed environment, one or more boxes on ethernet, one or more on wifi.  From what I understand, you don't necessarily have to run one or the other, its just a matter of personal choice and ease of installation.  Those details should be found in various posts in the following thread:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Rogers-Ignite-TV-Installation-Experiences-Questions/td-p/42...

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink thank you for the tip .... but I have no idea what any of that means. My point when I mentioned it was that ignite tv needs strong internet signal to run properly. And if you have more than one tv ( on different floors of home- or far from the modem) then you have no choice but to get beacons. I have 4 TVs on 2 floors. With ignite it costs me $49/mo extra to have 3 extra TVs (rental x3 plus beacons $14/mo). At bell fibe it cost $19/mo ( rental of 3 additional - 1 was free other 2 $7/mo each=14 plus $5 for pack of 4 extender pods ). That’s a $30/mo more than what it cost me at bell !!

But thank you anyway. I’m a plug and play kinda gal !
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Redzzzz you indicated that "the ignite tv is not hardwire".  All I was pointing out is that this isn't the case.  You can run the Ignite TV service via hardwired cabling and totally avoid using wifi and any extenders to provide that wifi.  It all depends on the layout of your home and whether or not you happen to have structured wiring built into the home which offers ethernet ports in the various rooms in the home. 

As for Bell's HH3000, anyone running that modem or having previously run that modem should take a look at the following youtube video:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaZUqUl93mc

Kind of interesting.  I'd have to read thru the emission standards to know if the video makes sense.  You would really have to do this is a lab to properly test the modem. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Okay okay. This is getting too technical now. I suppose yes one can hardwire every receiver if that was the preference , but in this “wireless age” hardwiring multiple receivers is not really realistic. Not sure how u can hardwire multiple sets on multiple floors to one modem ... seems as though that would make signal even worse ! But I am no tech ... I’m just giving my everyday joe opinion ... not making it a science ! I had the HH3000 ( I actually think the 2000 is better - I had few issues with the 2000). Believe me when I say - I am in no way ringing bells bell ! I came to Rogers for a reason - bell fibe service , in my unprofessional opinion , was better for the money (a lot of) that I was paying. I felt I was getting something for it ..... ignite in the other hand , for me ( ex FTTH) it was definitely not worth the switch (hindsight) YET ! I have not even been a month with ignite and I have been sitting on the fence about going back to bell ( but I’m trying to give it a chance).

One more thing - good luck finding a Rogers tech willing to install lines for hardwiring multiple TVs for ignite. The $149 ( choke) would not include all that ..... the idea of ignite “the way you experience Entertainment with WIRELESS streaming”. Just saying 😉
I Plan to Stick Around

We have had Ignite TV for 1 week and 5 days … and I am a technical user ….

The pictures quality is every bit as good as Bell Fibe … on Wi-fi over to a 4K TV. Many things affect the picture quality, for example source of 720p vs 1080i vs 1080p. I am not sure if Ignite has a variable bit-rates as per Netflix.

I adjusted that main box's video output to 1080p. The box is capable of 720p, 1080p, 2160p30hz and 2160p60hz. I tried they all. The default was 720p (same as Bell Fibe by the way). Both outputs of 2160 were bad. The cable box cannot upscale the signal from Ignite to 4K. Best picture was 1080p and let the TV upscale to 4k (all 4K TV are specially design to do just that). Leads me to suspect Ignite TV is capable of 1080p transmission … suspected ….

All boxes are wi-fi OR ethernet capable. My house is wired for ethernet with 4 separate cat-6 cables to all the major rooms and bedrooms. I have not yet switched any boxes over to ethernet … yet. Wi-fi can get saturated since it can only transmits according to the channels/antennae's contained in the router. In my house, the wi-fi coverage is excellent but I do have a secondary access point just in case I feel the Rogers 5gHz is getting saturated. I do not need any wi-fi mesh system.

I have been getting excellent results with the "voice" remote. Usually finds all my shows accurately, 95% success rate using the "fast forward x minutes" command. With the large jumps … I consider it a tie with Bell's 30 sec skip.

The cloud recording also means that if your signal drops, it is still recorded … excellent.

Now for some bad …. we seems to loss signal regularly … about 2/3 time s a day for since the modem got changed 10 days ago. We had a Rogers tech out on Tuesday but could not find anything work. When this happens, we loss internet, tv and phone. My wife works from home and this is getting annoying for her to have a call dropped in the middle of a conversation. Being in Ottawa, the tech said that this could be a infrastructure problem as they rebuild from the tornados. We are noting the exact time and duration of each dropped connecting as "proof".

Overall I am about 75% happy. Fixing the intermittent drops would make me 95% happy. After all I am getting 590/20mb vs 45/7 for Bell, record 8 shows at once vs 2 on Bell, $55 cheaper every month … considering I have free PVR/wired digital/wireless digital box discounts as well so the different would be much higher. 

May change a box to ethernet this week to test. The tech said to simply unbox the box, plug in the ethernet and repower the box. Sounds simply but it usually isn't

I Plan to Stick Around

Oh yeah - I forgot to mention that too. I have signal drop several times a day ( and I also work from home - I feel your wife’s pain ) I live in downtown Toronto so it seems the dropping of signal is More than infrastructure ( maybe an unlikely coincidence? 😉 )
I've Been Here Awhile

Had Ignite TV/GB/Home phone since May 2018.  Bell FTTH became available (that and steep discounts) enticed me to switch to Bell Fibe.  After a couple of days I was contemplating switching back.

I was happy with the Rogers service.  The internet performance was consistent ( 700 - 940 Mbs at various spots and 300 - 450 at other times ) .  The home phone offered Long Distance calling and 7 features.  To my mind the ignite TV was a winner.  Good pic quality (subjective), easy navigation and simple but functional remote.  The remote featured a surprisingly useful voice control that the whole family quickly began to depend on.  Also, the search function integrates On Demand, Netflix and CraveTv really well.   

I work from home, so the promise of FTTH, more consistent GigaBit speeds and symmetrical upload speeds enticed me away (that and the steep discounts).  I have not been entirely happy with the move.  The install went well although I found the modem and tv boxes to be clunky (and not in the best condition) compared to the Ignite equipment.  On the second day something triggered a reboot of the modem and it was stuck in loading mode and had to be replaced. Once working the modem internal/self speed test claimed 1.18Gbs down and 843 Mbs up, connecting directly to a lan port I was only able to get 400-500Mbs down.  Using the same wiring I could get 800-940Mbs from Ignite.On the tv side of things, the Fibe TV pic Quality was stunning especially when watching sports on one of the 4K channels. The channel changes are fast with no delay.  The Fibe TV navigation requires knowing the channel lineups and creating Favourite Lists.  Ignite TV is easier to navigate.  You did not have to learn the location of your favourite channels … Ignite had better search functionality and integrated the apps a lot nicer than Bell.  My family on the whole preferred the Ignite navigation.  The PVR in the cloud offered by Rogers also seems to be the better approach to the local DVR device offered by Bell.

I think that if I can realize consistent, symmetrical GigaBit speeds in the short term then I can convince my self that the move was worth it.  But from my current perspective, I might have bailed on Rogers to soon and may switch back.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@cartfam1 you can get around any HH3000  issues by using a fibre to ethernet converter and your own router.  That is discussed in the following threads:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31118482-Yes-you-CAN-bypass-the-HomeHub-3000

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32181395-BYPASSING-or-BRIDGING-the-Home-Hub-3000-HH3K

As shown on page two of the first thread, you remove the SFP module from the HH3000 and install it into a TP-Link MC220L Media converter.  Run the ethernet output into a router that is VLAN capable and you're set to go.  Here's the converter:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-43_MC220L.html

This will work if you are running the Bell's gigabit service.  If you're running the 1.5 gigabit service it won't work as the synchronization rates for the SFP module don't match the MC220L's rates.  There are users who are working on that issue, using a different router to match the sync rates.  That might be a tentative approach as Bell will be introducing 5 Gb/s service in 2019 and hasn't released any details on the equipment to support those rates.  So, any move to the 1.5 Gb/s rates might be short lived.  Here's the thread that discusses the sync rate issue:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32101894-Internet-Question-s-about-10GB-SFP-Router-Modem-WiFi-AP

I've Been Here Awhile

@Datalink thank you for the detailed info.  I will have a look.

P.S. - I am currently waiting for Bell second line support to respond to/fix my lack of bandwidth at the HH3000 LAN ports issue.  

Thanks