Amazon Prime Video on Ignite TV?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Amazon Prime Video on Ignite TV?

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@rgl168 wrote:

Do you honestly think that Samsung or Roku would put Amazon's app on their devices by default for free "as a sake of good will"?

All I was saying is that Netflix and Prime Video are subscription services. Access to subscribe is free on many devices and platforms. Whether it costs  Rogers to offer those apps on Ignite TV is immaterial. If the competition offer them, Rogers will have to, or lose customers.  If not, you can buy a Roku Express for $35 - $45 and stream on any TV.

And you think that Roku would put Amazon's app by default - as I previously mentioned - "as good will" for free?

Rogers would lose customers?  You are still subscribing to their internet service to access Prime Video or Netflix or whatever streaming services out there.

If you don't believe me, take a look at this article regarding Netflix and Roku:  https://www.businessinsider.com/netflix-is-the-leading-streaming-service-on-roku-tv-boxes-2017-9

It is not a simple "throw an app on your device" and that's it.  There are payments (one time or a cut of something), agreements and contracts in place before all this can happen.   I certainly do not believe Amazon's agreement with Roku is anything less than what had been described in that article between Roku and Netflix.   If Rogers were to have an Amazon Prime agreement, I wouldn't think it would be anything less than the current agreement between Rogers and Netflix.

As I mentioned before and I mention it now:  *nothing* happens for free in the world of business.   

I'm a Senior Advisor

@rgl168 wrote:

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@rgl168 wrote:

Do you honestly think that Samsung or Roku would put Amazon's app on their devices by default for free "as a sake of good will"?

All I was saying is that Netflix and Prime Video are subscription services. Access to subscribe is free on many devices and platforms. Whether it costs  Rogers to offer those apps on Ignite TV is immaterial. If the competition offer them, Rogers will have to, or lose customers.  If not, you can buy a Roku Express for $35 - $45 and stream on any TV.

And you think that Roku would put Amazon's app by default - as I previously mentioned - "as good will" for free?

Rogers would lose customers?  You are still subscribing to their internet service to access Prime Video or Netflix or whatever streaming services out there.

If you don't believe me, take a look at this article regarding Netflix and Roku:  https://www.businessinsider.com/netflix-is-the-leading-streaming-service-on-roku-tv-boxes-2017-9

It is not a simple "throw an app on your device" and that's it.  There are payments (one time or a cut of something), agreements and contracts in place before all this can happen.   I certainly do not believe Amazon's agreement with Roku is anything less than what had been described in that article between Roku and Netflix.   If Rogers were to have an Amazon Prime agreement, I wouldn't think it would be anything less than the current agreement between Rogers and Netflix.

As I mentioned before and I mention it now:  *nothing* happens for free in the world of business.   

I have never had Rogers Internet, nor expect to. I only have Rogers digital cable and a Rogers PayGo. But Ignite TV customers have no choice. Thanks for the link to that article. Reading it I wonder if Roku benefits from Netflix, or the other way around. On one TV we now access Netflix with Roku, which is much more reliable than with the Wii we used before.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm an Advisor

Hello all,

Just adding my 2 cents - I picked up a Roku not too long ago for my bedroom; it has made accessing Netflix easier and quicker than ever.  Voice search is a nice feature and saves me from having to use an on-screen keyboard.

As a result: I use Netflix more than ever.   I very much hope to see a Rogers Ignite IPTV / Rogers Anyplace TV channel make a debut on Roku.

Not holding my breath, but it would be nice!

I've Been Here Awhile

Any news on this?

I have had Ignite for a month or two, and my Netflix and youtube are connected. I just got a subscription to Amazon Prime TV.... would LOVE to be able to watch it on my tv instead of just my ipad.

I'm a Senior Advisor

If you're not presently in the market for a new TV, which would probably be a Smart TV and get Amazon Prime Video and Netflix without Rogers, you can get a Roku Express and turn any modern TV into a smart TV with those apps.

I've Been Around

Has there been any change with this?  Or is it still unavailable?

I'm a Senior Advisor

I bought a Roku Express before Christmas from Amazon for $35. I see now it's $67.50, looks the same but a different model number. Not sure what the difference might be.

Hello @venetianstudios,

Thanks for joining us here in the Rogers Community Forums and congrats on your very first post! 😊

I regret to advise that Amazon Prime Video is not available through Rogers at this time. If this should change, we'll be sure to let the community know, or you can always pop into Rogers.com every so often to check for any updates if you would like.

Kind regards,
RogersLaura

I've Been Here Awhile

has there been any updates on this?
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

There will be no update from Rogers until it launches, if it ever does.

They never telegraph moves like this. Competitive advantage, etc, etc.