Amazon Prime Video on Ignite TV?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Amazon Prime Video on Ignite TV?

Does anyone know if Amazon Prime Video will be coming to Ignite TV?

**Labels Added**

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Amazon Prime Video on Ignite TV?

Amazon Video was not on Rogers Cable, and I don't see why it should be part of Ignite TV.  It's nothing to do with Rogers. You can get it  on your smart TV and if you don't have one, get Roku Express for under $40.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Advisor

Netflix wasn't part of Rogers Cable either, but it's available on Ignite TV. So it's not that ridiculous a concept.

Ignite is internet delivered, so it's certainly easier to deliver OTT services via Ignite than via digital cable.

That being said, Rogers really never announces anything until it's about to happen so, even if it is in the works, you won't know about it until the app appears.
I've Been Here Awhile

Is a Amazon Prime Video app coming to ignite TV

I Plan to Stick Around

I heard a rumour that they are getting Amazon Prime . Comcast just launched it in the U.S. on their Xfinity service. Unfortunately at this time its just a rumour.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

That would involve Rogers coming up with an agreement with Amazon.

When would that be?  If it is happening at all, it would probably corporate secret.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I have Amazon Prime Video on both my Smart TVs and my Roku.  Do you really think that Samsung and Roku pay Amazon for the app? I subscribe to Amazon Prime and I pay. I can also watch Prime Video and Netflix on my laptop, but Dell does not pay Amazon and Netflix. Why would Rogers have to pay Amazon to have Prime Video on Ignite TV?

I'm a Senior Advisor

I suspect an agreement is required as with the announcement of the recent agreement with Amazon and Comcast Xfinity.

There may be no money passing hands but tgere may be stuff like confidentiality agreements, assurances of quality of service, copyright statements, maintaining logos and look and feel like Crave backgrounds, and so forth.

There may be money passing hands but we will never know.

It is possible but I think the only thing holding back at this time is resources. Rogers is one year in on this implementation less in full public distribution and there remain network and operating issue ES like phone voice mail indicators, gaming stability across the platform traditional and the new modems for ignite.

If one looks at Comcast Xfinity you can see some idea of the future to come. But if Amazon the agreement will be Amazon. CA not .Com. On Shaws community you will find the same. It also appears it is not just an addition of an app in the US but integration of search as with Netflix which requires programming the integration.

Be patient everyone. Ignite is still a toddler that is still perfecting walking. With time Rogers will decide which new features to add. Program and test. Market and pricing to be set. Ignite is not a Roku box or apple tv etc.

Bruce
I Plan to Stick Around

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I have Amazon Prime Video on both my Smart TVs and my Roku.  Do you really think that Samsung and Roku pay Amazon for the app? I subscribe to Amazon Prime and I pay. I can also watch Prime Video and Netflix on my laptop, but Dell does not pay Amazon and Netflix. Why would Rogers have to pay Amazon to have Prime Video on Ignite TV?

Do you honestly think that Samsung or Roku would put Amazon's app on their devices by default for free "as a sake of good will"?

Do you realize how much Google have to pay Apple to make Google search engine as default on Safari?  (Look it up online if you don't believe me.)

In the business world, *nothing* comes free - someone has to pay someone else.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@rgl168 wrote:

Do you honestly think that Samsung or Roku would put Amazon's app on their devices by default for free "as a sake of good will"?

All I was saying is that Netflix and Prime Video are subscription services. Access to subscribe is free on many devices and platforms. Whether it costs  Rogers to offer those apps on Ignite TV is immaterial. If the competition offer them, Rogers will have to, or lose customers.  If not, you can buy a Roku Express for $35 - $45 and stream on any TV.