cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a switch to Ignite modem

Risquee
I'm here a lot

Just "upgraded" to Ignite and I'm not much of a fan of it yet. My biggest issue is there are only two ethernet ports on the back of the modem. I need at least 4 to 6. So can I just plug a gigabit switch into one of these modem ports and will that work or do I have to have a router too and "bridge" the modem. 

The tech who installed this basically just left my other ethernet cables dangling and didn't tell me there were no extra ports. They hype up the wireless aspect but hey guess what - not EVERYTHING is wireless. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Adding a switch to Ignite modem

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Risquee you shouldn't have any problems in adding a gigabit switch. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Risquee you shouldn't have any problems in adding a gigabit switch. 

Thanks I will give it a try.

rookie8155
I plan to stick around

Sorry, I am reading this message late but I think if you add a switch direct to Ignite modem, it will be getting Rogers IP and will be exposed to outside world with no protection?

I would add a router (may be as AP) behind Ignite box to shield my LAN.

Well that is not what I want. Can anyone confirm this?

@rookie8155 wrote:

Sorry, I am reading this message late but I think if you add a switch direct to Ignite modem, it will be getting Rogers IP and will be exposed to outside world with no protection?

I would add a router (may be as AP) behind Ignite box to shield my LAN.

Your Ignite modem already has a router built in, no one gets an external IP, its an internal IP, unless you specify Demilitarized Zone in the settings, but since it already has a router, you simply need a switch to add more ports, cus that is what switches do they add more ports.  hope this clears up the misinformation

rookie8155
I plan to stick around
Thanks..

Risquee
I'm here a lot
Thank you! That makes sense.

reed935
I plan to stick around

I am not understanding why they left it like this.  I was told by the Rogers store that the installer would install a switch if needed during the install, at no cost.  The installer told me I would need to by a gigabit switch and I corrected him and said he should be installing one for me.  He then went out to his truck and installed a 4-port switch.  All is good.

Well just another reason I  hate Roger's. I was never offered this. Nor was I contacted by the "personal concierge" that I was promised so they could make arrangements to pick up the old equipment, and answer any questions I might have about the Ignite system. Another poor job by Roger's. But my bill showed up on time of course.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Risquee  In fairness to the techs, I that think the LAN switches were a very recent addition to the "standard equipment" that they carried in their trucks... and they can still only offer what they have on hand.  The techs won't give these switches out to everybody but if you need one as part of your install and they can offer one to you at no charge, you'll get one.  If you still require a switch and ask nicely, I'm sure that you'll be able to get one as well the next time that a tech gets dispatched to your home.

Risquee
I'm here a lot
The tech was the one who suggested I buy a switch. That was a couple of weeks ago. And as I have already done that the free one is redundant. I have never gotten anything from Roger's by asking nicely. I have been with them for over 35 years ONLY because of the high speed internet. If Bell put fibe in my neighbourhood I'd switch in a heartbeat.
I am liking the Ignite service better than the old broadband service but there are still hiccups and issues that will take time to iron out as with all Roger's equipment.

rookie8155
I plan to stick around

I am using Rogers internet for the last three years and it has been pretty smooth.  Now I got Ignite bundle and everything is working fine. I tweaked it as per my requirements and it works fine.. 

Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 in conversation