cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4K Channels do not show on IgniteTV App or Browser

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I do not see my 4K channels in the IgniteTV app or browser.  Why would I want these there?

1. Because a couple of the Channels like Stingray Videos and Stingray Now4K are only available in 4K and I might like to view them or set recordings.

2. Because I might wish to set recordings while I'm away from home on any of the 4K channels like the above, plus Love Nature, TSN, SN, etc.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: 4K Channels do not show on IgniteTV App or Browser

ReneHache
I plan to stick around

Same for the cable box if you don't have a 4k tv. I wish the box would downconvert 4k to 1080, I don't care about 4k itself, I just want to watch the Stingray video channels that is not available in non 4k version. I know there's adapter that can do that, but I don't know witch one would be a good one to buy.

chank
I plan to stick around

Yeah. In this important playoff time I want to set recordings of SN 4K channels on my phone. But I can't!

stevengma
I've been here awhile
Has anyone else also had ths problem? I too would like to use my ignite phone app to schedule 4K recordings, but the don't appear on the list of channels .. has Rogers responded?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

I do not see my 4K channels in the IgniteTV app or browser.  Why would I want these there?

1. Because a couple of the Channels like Stingray Videos and Stingray Now4K are only available in 4K and I might like to view them or set recordings.

2. Because I might wish to set recordings while I'm away from home on any of the 4K channels like the above, plus Love Nature, TSN, SN, etc.

Is this ever going to be fixed?  At the least, I want to be able to schedule 4K recordings when I'm not home. Preferably, I'd like to also view 4K recordings/programming, even if it's on an "inferior" screen because some of the programming is not available on HD channels.

Thanks for the feedback @57!

Very few mobile phones support 4K natively at this time, so it would be a feature few users could actually take advantage of. Native 4K support on a mobile device would likely chew our battery up and at typical viewing distances, the human eye wouldn't be able to distinguish between 4K and a lower resolution on a small screen, so the benefit would be nebulous at best.

Perhaps downscaling those channels is a potential option, but I don't have any real information to share on when such a thing may happen. 

Regards,

RogersCorey

chank
I plan to stick around

The use case we are all citing here is that we want to schedule recordings on 4K channels, rather than watching them.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As mentioned by me and by @chank and others, the more important issue is that we wish to be able to schedule recordings on the 4K channels, some of which only exist in 4K.

Viewing is secondary, and as I mentioned we do not need to have 4K signals for our devices (or non-4K TVs), just be able to view those channels in say HD.

@RogersCorey : we appreciate your feedback, however, your post seems to totally miss the two points we are making.

Your request was not lost on me... but the primary use case of this app is intended to be viewing channels. Scheduling recordings is a secondary feature.

Allowing recordings without being able to view the channel may require a fundamental redesign of the app. Either way, your suggestions have been heard!

Regards,

RogersCorey

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersCorey wrote:

1. Your request was not lost on me...

2. the primary use case of this app is intended to be viewing channels.

3. Scheduling recordings is a secondary feature.

4. Allowing recordings without being able to view the channel may require a fundamental redesign of the app.

5. Either way, your suggestions have been heard!

1. Thanks, that was not evident in your previous post.

2. It may be for some people, but there are lots of people who prefer to watch large screens, not squint at phones.

3. But it is a feature and it should work "properly" for those who use it.  There may be more scheduling users than you think. For example, I can view the list of scheduled and existing 4K recordings on my 1080P TV even though I cannot view them.  I can also schedule 4K recordings from the Guide on that 1080P TV.  Just not on the App.  Having the 4K channels listed in the app guide should be "easy".  You already have several channel options like favourites, HD, Out of Home, etc.

4. I would doubt that.  You already have the option in the app regarding playback preferences.

5. Thanks again.  I really appreciate the work the mods do on this forum.

P.S. Similar comments also apply to the browser version which doesn't show 4K channels in the guide, even though the picture quality on a computer screen may easily be up to 4K standards or the computer could be connected by HDMI to a 4K TV.

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 in conversation