rogers.com/onlinevoicemail link not working

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

rogers.com/onlinevoicemail link not working

Cannot access Rogers voice mail over internet.

How to resolve this:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to onlinevoicemail.rogers.com. Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s). (Error code: ssl_error_no_cypher_overlap)

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: rogers.com/onlinevoicemail link not working

Welcome to the Community @riteside

I just tried the website on Internet Explorer and Google Chrome and it worked. What browser are you using?

Try using www.rogers.com/vvm

Hope this helpsSmiley Happy

RogersAsif

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Welcome to the Community @riteside

I just tried the website on Internet Explorer and Google Chrome and it worked. What browser are you using?

Try using www.rogers.com/vvm

Hope this helpsSmiley Happy

RogersAsif

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Yes, thank you, I was using Firefox ... EI worked.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@riteside wrote:

Yes, thank you, I was using Firefox ... EI worked.

I'm having the same problem with Firefox.

Fundamentally, I think that the problem is that the Rogers visual voicemail web site is using an older cipher that Firefox no longer supports. This should be escalated...

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Got the phone message blast about home phone voice mail.  Went to the site from the message of www.rogers.com/managevoicemail and came to the help page with the details on what to do.

When you attempt to open the link in Chrome, you get the error described earlier in this thread back in May about SSL server probably obsolete.  This is now true on Chrome and Firefox.  I did find it works on Microsoft Edge - you will get a screen on 100% that you would need a magnifying glass to read, so I zoomed to 200%, and everything worked just have to scroll a lot.  

It will also run on IE11 emulated in Windows 10, but the size of the screen is still very tiny, so you will have to zoom in to work with it unless you have very good vision.  It also does run on Safari and in a size that I could read without zooming in. The issue could have to do with the fact that the applet code in the browser is coded in XHTML 1.0 strict. HTML 4 and 5 have been out for a long time.  This coding structure of 1.0 will result in some unusual renderings and may account for the very small size on the screen and its failure on Chrome and Firefox - theoretically, the papers say that it should render ok on Chrome and Firefox (Mozilla), but there may be other coding issues on the server side, much like the issue on the server side for downloading the phone call details to a CSV file on Explorer and Edge. Just some thoughts of what may be going on, but I am sure the programmers are aware of these types of issues. If not, I am glad if this is of any help.

As the previous poster said, back in May, this should be escalated.  I asked the tech support to escalate, he said he would, but the knowledge base currently reads that it is known that this issue exists, they are working on it, but there is no date as to when a fix will be implemented.

The issue seems to lie in being behind on known changes in standards in the interfacing of server apps, and desktop apps to the browser.  This includes NNAPI and Chrome and Firefox, and from my review of the code in the browser, and research on the change of standards, XHTML 1.0 is a very old standard (first released in 2000) and has since been upgraded to 2.0, then the move to HTML (which is not the same in HTML) 4.0, it brought in compatability for the old XML and HTML standards, with the final intent starting in 2009 to move everything to HTML 5.0, now finalized as one of the accepted standards in 2014.

So it is just an observation, but there seems to be a real lag in the Rogers programming teams and supporting companies at staying up with the most recent standards on the desktop, and as has also been seen with newest releases of Android.  This creates a bad rep for the company and creates considerable inconvience for the users, and for the tech support teams that at the front line level are powerless except to say, they are aware of the issue, they are working on it, but there is no finalization date, and fortunately there has been workarounds in most cases, but sometimes there is not.

So please add my voice to I am sure the many, although not here since May, who want to be able to operate on browsers that are coded for the most current standards.

So just to summarize: the voicemail link only works on IE 11 and Windows Edge, and Safari on a PC (Windows operating system 10 is what I am using)

On a good closing note, my bill is correct with no errors for the first time in months, I don't have to make any phone calls to billing, and the only outstanding issues are programming related which I have just reported here, and in other threads.

So I guess I don't have anything to complain about for now and I have to accept that all the issues are known, are being dealt with by the appropriate teams and they are working hard to improve our experience, but the finalization dates are unknown. So I will just wait like the rest of us.

Technically, I have left the board, as I had little more to say, but then this one came up and thought I should update the community.

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Follow this link  https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/iwX2PbNGk8E

for a discussion provided from Chrome as to this issue - it is an issue that will exist on the server side where Chrome used to let the calls pass through to what they call "buggy servers", but by default, the newest version no longer will let it do it, but there is a workaround provided that may be able to be done at the enterprise server level - something for Rogers techs to consider on this one while they consider making the ultimate move which every company will have to do which is move to HTML 5 and similiar standards and get servers compatable to the new browser standards. Just trying to be helpful. Bruce

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@BS

You are 100% correct. Thank you for posting. I have always used this link to access our online voicemail account. Like you, if I try to use it now, I get the following messages: SSL server probably obsolete when using Chrome and Secure Connection Failed when using Firefox. The link does still work when using IE11. 

I wonder if Rogers was aware of this issue when they decided that we would only be able to save our voicemail messages for a maximum of 45 days. The solution of course was to go to our online voicemail account if we wanted to save any of our messages and then download them to our computer. Obviously, this solution or any solution is not really a solution if it does not work. So Rogers needs to consider making this server compatible for use with both Chrome and Firefox. The alternative of course would be to rescind the policy of deleting all voicemails that have been stored beyond 45 days. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

100% agreed that rogers need to do the updates on their end to make it accessible.

I have run into this lately with FF and Chrome though at work.. and its causing havoc.
In the last versions or two, they hgave increased the 'minimum' security on things.. that if specific certs are missing, or are older than X, or have a lower incryption level... it pretty much blocks out the site 100%

Good in most ways, to try and keep everyone secure...
But HAVOC for companies, who specifically have any internal servers/services.  Often they may require a secure connection even internally, but are usually using a self signed certificate.  These often may not be up to the current STANDARDS.  So therefore the browser is BLOCKING it.. even though its something that you trust.
No way of OVERRIDING it 😞

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

So is anybody from Rogers ever going to comment again on this issue? First you tell us that "All new and existing voicemail messages are stored for a period of 45 days.  Any voicemail message older than 45 days will be automatically deleted." Then you tell us that "If you wish to save a message for longer, visit your voicemail account at rogers.com/onlinevoicemail, download each message you want to keep and select SAVE." The problem is that the link you provided us with no longer works - at least with Chrome or Firefox. This is the message I get with Chrome: "SSL server probably obsolete." "Unable to connect securely to the server. This website may have worked previously, but there is a problem with the server. Connecting to such sites weakens security for all users and thus has been disabled." It is obvious to me that Rogers has not updated their security. On top of that, logging in to IE11 also produces the result that you cannot even listen to a message using the link provided as IE11 uses the Quick Time plug-in which no longer works using a Web Browser. So Rogers, what are you going to do about this? Based upon your past history, will it takes 6 months to fix? Or will you rescind the policy that voicemail messages can only be stored for 45 days? An answer would be nice!

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I have also discovered this problem in Chrome and Firefox. Thanks  to the info here, I was able to get the page to load in IE - however I was not able to listen to the voice messages there, as I can't in Outlook (due to some Micorsoft weirdness). I think I have accessed it in Chrome later than May, but at any rate it is not working now.