phone only rings once

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Regular

phone only rings once

Not sure whats wrong (this time)  but when there is a incoming call the phone only rings once then eventually just disconnets. If I answer the call it works fine and outgoing calls work but incomming calls only ring one time and never go to voicemail.

I've reset the modem and tried unpluging phones etc. no luck not sure what else to try, been on hold with rogers for 20 mins already, like always great customer support with their many many problems Smiley Frustrated

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Regular

Re: phone only rings once

so apparently if I plug the phone directly into the modem it will work but that's not practical, if I can't use the other jacks in the house I may as well go back to Bell at least with them my phone actually works

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It WAS canada day.. they may have been more lightly staffed.

(those people working that day, would have been having to WORK on their holiday)

As for your issue.

It works when right into the modem with a phone..

Now.. is there ANY other phones pluged into any other jacks anywher else in the house?  It sounds like something is interupting it, etc.

(as say a bad line to one of the rooms, etc.. shouldnt cause just one ring.. would more likely be a broken ring, bad audio, etc)

I'm a Regular

No there is nothing plugged in anywhere in the house but as soon as I plug the modem into the house line to go out to the jacks the issue starts even with no phones or anything plugged in anywhere.

Finally got someone from rogers to schedula a tech but that won't be until next week, if they have so many issues it takes a week just to get a tech out that's not a good sign, and I got the feeling they were trying to blame it on 3rd party equipment (I guess since the lines in the house were originally Bell) and want to charge extra to fix it lol not likely I'll cancel the phone or go back to bell before paying extra just to have it work like it should in the first place

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

im no expert on this but it sounds like if the phone works and rings proper when connected to the modem and it only ring once when connected to the inside wireing, the problem may very well be an inside wiring has gone bad, rogers can come out and test this yes, but I don't believe they have a responsibility to fix it, you are likely going to be on the hook for it, I also already gonna know ur reaction your gonna be very upset and threaten them to fix it or threaten to cancel and go back to bell, but bell also doesn't fix inside wiring issues either, all phone companies responsibility ends at the point of demarcation which in rogers case is the modem, and for bell its the block near your hydro panel.

I've Been Here Awhile

There is a short on the phone lines somewhere in the house. Check all jacks for corrosion in the pins. Your rogers tech should be able to do anything further.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

It's July 2017, but I thought I would add this for information.  We had a nearby lightning strike which brought out Hydro and we thought nothing of it.  All things Rogers (TV Internet, Phones) seemed ok.  One SUNDAY night my wife saw the clock light flash and the telephone message flash but then it went back to normal. Again we thought it was just a glitch, but Hydro can connect and disconnect lines which you do not know about and it can send a voltage spike down the line that can cause weird things to happen with electronics. 

In our case, around TUESDAY we noticed that we only got one ring. On WEDNESDAY I did the modem reset and tried the usual phone disconnects/reconnects to see if I could clear the problem.  Failing that I called Rogers 1-855-381-7836.   We did the connect directly to the modem trick and the phone worked.  Connecting it to the line we got the one ring again.    Technician was scheduled for SATURDAY 2-4pm (3 days away). Problem persisted on THURSDAY with only a couple of calls missed.   On FRIDAY morning, the phone started ringing normally again.   ???  I didn't do anything!   I called Rogers and the line was tested and I was told everything was fine at their end.  I didn't cancel the Technician. (It's FRIDAY)  I want to  see if it works today and I'll cancel the service call tomorrow morning if all is well.   

My speculation is that a capacitor somewhere on one of my phones (probably the one that flashed SUNDAY night) kept a charge that blocked the signal to keep ringing the phones.  It took a few days to discharge.

So there's my story for "only one ring".  Hope it may help someone.  BTW, I didn't check each phone directly from the modem to see if it rang. If I checked each phone, I might have found the phone that was causing the problem. The other option would be to disconnect all phones and then plug them in one at a time. If it is not the phone then it might be a short in the lines or a wire that has separated in one of the jacks.  

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Follow-up 8 July 2017 (SATURDAY) Technician arrived as advertised. Between 2 and 4. Actual arrival 3:02pm!  Rogers Enroute was pretty good, but I digress. Several text messages announcing Estimated Time of Arrival.

Explained the story - Lighting strike, blah, blah, blah,  Called Roger and checked modem, blah, blah, blah, Checked phones, blah, blah, blah. Starting working again, blah, blah, blah. Intermittent problems, blah, blah.

To make a long story short. "It's your phone modem."  It was changed.  He left about 3:40pm. 

Lesson learned. If something just doesn't seem to be working correctly... get a technician and give them a list of your issues. Don't suffer in silence. Smiley Happy 

I Plan to Stick Around

I may not be a resident expert ... may I comment?

What he describes is "tripping the line".  Original poster.  Please do the following.  Connect all of your telephones to the modem directly and do not involve your home wiring.  How many telephones do you have?  You'll need a small splitter that costs $2-3 at Home Depot.  Add the other phones in one by one and test each time, and let us know what happens, OK?

Rogers ... come on folks ... can't you talk the modem remotely?

I Plan to Stick Around

I see you solved the problem.  The modem was obviously tripping - a false answer impression.

"When a telephone call comes in for example on the first telephone line, the Central Office ringing supply ionizes the line lamp causing it to flash on and off in accordance with the ringing frequency. Resistor "X" ensures that the series impedance of resistor "Y" is of sufficient value to allow multiple telephones and also to prevent inadvertent tripping of the distant Central Office line relay."

In your case, the CO line relay is in your ATA.