changing to rogers home phone

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: changing to rogers home phone

Is rogers home phone modem safe from radiation perspectives? i am looking to install it in the bedroom. or where it is better place in the apartment?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

SOrry for the late reply here.. i dont check this board as often.

I would say it would be, as much as any other peice of electronic equipment..
If you dont fee comforatable putting say a TV receiver or something else beside your head, i woudlnt put the phone modem.

That being said.. it doesnt really require anything special.
As long as you have a room where you have a CABLE outlet to plug into it, and a phone jack to plug back into, it can go in that room, even if there is not a phone there.

I've Been Around

So rogers home phone is not portable. I was thinking it was a cell modem but it uses the coax cable. What is the main benefit vs bell copper wired?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers DOES make a wireless home phone:
http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wirelesshomephone

But, its only for customers who DO NOT live in an area which is covered by the regular rogers home phone. (So in the country, etc).

Really overall?  There is not necessarily a benifit having it over a regular phone line.  Its just doing it over technology A vs B.  Pricing is USUALLY give or take around the same as Bell for the same features, etc.

Really only advantage.. is consolidated billing. 
All your stuff on one bill, vs paying for two different places.

As well then, you sometimes can get bundled deals, for having more than one service with a particular company, etc.

I've Been Around

I am considering to change out my Bell line for Home Phone but I have a few questions. 1. I have a long distance plan on my Bell line (private) I get a small rebate on my Auto insurance. Will this have to change if I change over to Rogers? 2. How is the connection made to meld the Bell land line with the new Home Phone? My home has many Bell phone cables thoughout but only 1 cable entry point? Do these systems have to join at the modem? Do I lose the use of the Bell outlets?  I hope the installation guys don't have to rip up my ceiling or walls to do an installation.  Can you advise me? Your search term has been corrected to                                                               

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Looks like the mods are doing something with this thread, to say it politely:

Your current home phone lines all terminate at the 66 block, which is usually located in the basement.  Rogers will bring in a home phone modem and connect that modem to the 66 block, which then connects to all of your current phone extensions in the home.  All that is a pair of wires that is punched down onto the 66 block.  Thats it, other than ensuring that the modem has a place to sit.  The modem also requires power, whereas Bell lines don't.  With the home phone modem connected, you would use the phone extensions around the home as you do now.

As for your long distance plan, switching from Bell would stop that plan.  You would have to compare the plans from both companies to see what gives you the better cost.

Note, in an extended power outage, with Bell, the power for the phone comes over the telephone lines.  Bell phones will remain usable.  Rogers phone modem has a battery backup, but that will only last so long.  There is also the issue of the backup batteries for the neighborhood nodes.  I was reading an article just a few days ago about battery theft around Toronto.  So there is a theft issue as well as a  neighbohood node battery power life issue.  

So, if communications are a must, due to medical circumstances or other, and you don't have cell phones, Bell is the way to go.  That is simply due to the technology that is used.  That is a big issue on the US eastern Seaboard, where companies are trying to dump copper technology in favor of coax, and running into this problem.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Bell will only last as long as the local CO retains power as well... in an EXTENDED outage.. like a few days or more like if the whole town goes out.. could loose bell eventually as well.

Longer than the rogers.. but still has its end points.

All this is dependant on as well, that a person still has a basic analog, non powered phone at home as well Smiley Happy
If someone only has cordless phones, its kind of moot.