changing to rogers home phone

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

changing to rogers home phone

I have bell canada home phone , how do i make the switch to rogers

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: changing to rogers home phone

DO NOT call Bell Canada yet,

Call Rogers Home Phone, order NEW service, ask them to check if your existing TN is portible into their service, they will probaly say yes.

Rogers home phone will be installed, you will have a temporary number, they will take the number from bell and assign this to your home phone and it will automatically CANCEL bells service, they will plug the home phone device into the existing wall jacks once bell disconnects their dialtone or if bell installed a demarcation jack they will simply unplug bell from the demarcation jack and you will use your existing jacks, hope this helps

I've Been Here Awhile

If you don't give 30 days notice to BELL you have to pay the extra month.

Highlighted
I'm an Enthusiast

@Pauly wrote:
DO NOT call Bell Canada yet,

Call Rogers Home Phone, order NEW service, ask them to check if your existing TN is portible into their service, they will probaly say yes.

Rogers home phone will be installed, you will have a temporary number, they will take the number from bell and assign this to your home phone and it will automatically CANCEL bells service, they will plug the home phone device into the existing wall jacks once bell disconnects their dialtone or if bell installed a demarcation jack they will simply unplug bell from the demarcation jack and you will use your existing jacks, hope this helps

What is the home phone device exactly? What does it look like? We only have three phone jacks and we use cordless phones in the rest of the house. Does a tech need to install anything or can we do it ourselves?

I'm an Enthusiast

What is involved exactly?

Do we need to change phones to Rogers-specific equipment? Is a modem involved or do the same phones just plug into existing jacks?

No way to avoid paying Bell for cancelling?

How reliable is their service? We have voice mail and caller id with Bell. Does Rogers have same services?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers has all the same services as bell such as caller ID, VM, etc... MORE with some of their online manager stuff, i beleive.

As long as you are not in a contract with bell, you should only have to pay their normal disconect fee (everyone has to pay this).

How the equipment, etc works..

They will install the rogers home phone modem, usually down by were the electrical pannel is where the bell line connects, etc.

This will connect to your cable line.. then there is a line out on it.
While phones can be connected directly into this..
Usually what they will do, is go from the line out, into the usually exisiting demarcation box from bell which connects to all the outlets in the house.

I'm an Enthusiast

@Gdkitty wrote:

Rogers has all the same services as bell such as caller ID, VM, etc... MORE with some of their online manager stuff, i beleive.

As long as you are not in a contract with bell, you should only have to pay their normal disconect fee (everyone has to pay this).

How the equipment, etc works..

They will install the rogers home phone modem, usually down by were the electrical pannel is where the bell line connects, etc.

This will connect to your cable line.. then there is a line out on it.
While phones can be connected directly into this..
Usually what they will do, is go from the line out, into the usually exisiting demarcation box from bell which connects to all the outlets in the house.

Where is the Bell demarcation box? Our house was built prior to 1970 so the wiring is different than what is available now. There is a small grey Bell box on the outside of the house, but you can't plug a phone into it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

USUALLY, there is a bell box like that outside... then that goes inside the house..
OFTEN to where the electrical pannel is (but not always).
Most of the time, even in old houses i have seen, it goes into either a push in demarcation box, or even just sometimes into a house style outlet, then from there you will have connections from all the house outlets going down to this point.

As long as you dont get a lazy tech, etc.. you should be ok.. and they know what to do, where to go, etc.

But obviouly knowing WHERE it is to point out, would help as well.

I'm a Regular

When the power goes out does the phone not work?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When the power goes out.. the unit has a battery back up built in.
This battery backup, is suposed to give up to 6 hours, before shutting down.  So should cover MOST minor outages.. but not possibly anything longer.

(When you start getting into anything longer.. no matter if you were on a regular phone line, likely the CO would be loosing power by then too, rendering a regular phone line useless.)

Of course, this is all dependant on what PHONES you have in your house.  With the power out, any cordless phones will not work, etc 😛
This is why, its always good, go have a good old wired phone, no power needed, etc.. somewhere in the house.

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 10 in conversation