cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

blocking calls

rbreedon
I've been around

Good afternoon all

Is there such a feature on rogers home phone that will enable me to block someone from calling my home phone

***edited labels***

96 REPLIES 96

Re: Blocking Calls

What darrel was trying to say was:

If its on a cellular, if you add the rogers one number to your cellular, you can use it to block the number.

I am guessing this is for home phone though?

http://www.rogershelp.com/rhp/category.php?id=10L-3W

Try the instructions there.. it has the instructions for the CALL SCREEN that darrell was desccribing.

Re: blocking calls

serenitynow
I've been here awhile

I have been a loyal rogers customer for MANY years. You supply with the works. As of recently, I have been getting harassed by the same two overseas telemarketers, its about 10-15 calls a day now. I spoke with rogers on the phone and they told me to pay for the service that blocks calls. This is unnacceptable. Rogers takes and takes from my wallet, the first time I need a little bit of help and they want me to open my wallet, I'm not surprised, but after being a client for over 15 years, paying thousands and thousands of dollars, Rogers would rather loose my business, which they will be, then offer me the service.

serenitynow
I've been here awhile

I've been with rogers for 15 years, I practically keep the lights on there, like many of you, and im being harassed by the same two telemarketers everyday, sometimes once an hour... At any rate, rogers tells me to pay for call blocking service. HA.

I know this company has a license to print money and could care less about us, but for some strange reason I thought they might take pity on a loyal customer who has never asked for anything by helping them out so they can get back to a normal life.

They cannot. I'm going to be all over these messaging boards. I recommend everybody lets them know how bad their customer "service" is.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Each persons service experience is different. Mine is generally good, but that is beside the point.

Who did you talk to when calling?Unfortunately regular reps don't have the ability to do overrides, etc that you are wanting.
Have you tried talking to retentions? They may be able to, or at least a form of discount to cover it.

jbird
I plan to stick around

I have subscribed to the Home and Away features and have many numbers blocked, there are a few numbers that get through the blocked feature and some numbers that I cannot add using the *60 #01# and have to manually add the number using the *60 #number#, yet some numbers get through the block and I have to resort to blocking the number on my landline phone. Fortunately, I have the Panasonic that allows me to block up to 50 numbers, my phone will ring a half ring then the caller gets a busy signal.   Why can we not block these numbers through the service we are paying for?

---
I've been here awhile

So, I have the "Home & Away" service. I configured it using the online managemet page to block a number, but in the last 3 days I've had the phone ring no fewer than five (5) times with this number:

877-866-8880

I've answered calls from this number multiple times, but today, for the first time there was actually someone on the other end of the line - every other time it's been 20 seconds of dead air then a hangup. Who was it you ask? Well, it was Bell calling becuase I'm "no longer a Bell subscriber" - I canceled my Bell servce over a year ago and swicthed to Rogers. As much as I'm pissed at Bell for continuing to harass me (even though I've asked them to stop), I'm equally pissed at Rogers for allowing this call through - DESPITE THE FACT THAT I'M PAYING THEM AN EXTRA PREMIUM TO BLOCK THE CALLS. If Rogers really wants to keep my subscription, why is it they're allowing Bell to bother me about switching services back?

Is Rogers deliberately allowing this phone number to call me*, despite the fact that I'm paying for a additional/premium service whose explicit purpose is to prevent it? Or is the Rogers service I'm paying for simply broken, and should I be getting a refund for a service that I've paid for, but am not getting?

Anyone?

* Is this a result of another insane CRTC rule that allows the telecoms free reign to harass us?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

how exactly is it entered into the block?

Will the block allow a 1 to be entered in there?  I would try that.. as some numbers come through with the 1 infront of it.. and may be basing on EXACTLY how its shown.

---
I've been here awhile
Unfortunately, adding the leading "1" was how I'd entered it initially (because that's what was displayed on the caller ID), but calls came through anyhow, hence me dropping it and just using the 10 digits.

Thanks for link, Gdkitty. At least I found out about this feature, and how to use it.  Unfortunately,   it doesn't work.   When I entered *60, there was NO message of any kind --just dead air.   Smiley Mad  If ithe feature were 'off' shouldn't it tell me so? (according to their 'how to use' screen).

As with most things, I can't find any place on any Rogers page that tells me what I want to know.  Most importantly--is this a paid additional feature, or is it included in my home phone package? If it is at additional cost, Rogers should be up-front enough to say so.  Then I wouldn't waste time hunting through their website looking for something I can't afford. 

So much for customer service!  Smiley Frustrated

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
I didn't think it was.
Never used it myself.

The full online management thing is a paid service per say, it's one of the features you can choose when selecting the # of features depending on the home phone package.

Thank you for your very helpful posts!  A phone call to customer service about this left me baffled and my web saerch for Rogers technical support on this issued turned up nothing.  Your post has liberated me from wasting any more time searching for an answer. 

I'm very surprised that Rogers doesn't interpret your complaint (and I'd wager several similar ones) as an opportunity to give you a "discount" (like how about free for the first year or something) as a loyal customer and offer it to newbies like me in a more open customer-friendly format. That would generate a whole lot more good will on this forum than our current expeiences are generating.  Smiley Sad

Cap07
I'm a reliable contributor
It's been my experience that Rogers and Bell don't have much use for long-time customers. I'm of the opinion now that we should be treating them like insurance companies and change every so often so you're a new customer eligible for discounts and special offers.

douglahey
I've been around

excellent post, i have just done this by switching to rogers from Bell. I will switch back if annoyed by rogers or a beter deal comes along.

juanpy
I've been around

anyone can help me how to block some people to call to my home phone

Jelllo
I plan to stick around

I was getting up to 5 calls a day from a number so I decided to get the Home and Away Manager to block calls. All was quiet for a couple days then they started again. My call display now shows the same number, but without the leading 1. I contacted Rogers support and he told me sorry you cant block certain numbers because call display is not showing the actual number they are calling from. Funny thing is, I called the number back and a recording said "This person is not available please leave a message for rogers outbound"  Actually it is hard to understand, but sounds like rogers outbound.  The area code is 855 and from what I can gather, not region specific and a toll free number. I am guessing (and probably wrong) that Rogers is paying a telemarketing firm to spam numbers.I think Comcast in the states have a feature to block entire area codes. Now this feature would work for me.

TL;DR   Rogers call blocking doesn't work for the major spammers

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Problem is.. something like caller ID, is not a HARD CODED thing, per say.

There are MANY phone systems, which can change the caller ID your end perceives, at will.  It technically could call you and show one number, hang up, call you back, showing a completely different one.

The people making these calls, use things like this, to avoid call blocking, on having 'their number' investigated, etc.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
yeah they like to call back using a different number all the time.

In other words, your answer should be

"No, you cannot block any number on a Rogers Home phone unless you pay an extra amount on your already high enough phone bill".  

Period.  End of story

alcr
I've been here awhile

Doesn't work.  Get no busy signal, nothing.

alcr
I've been here awhile
What the heck is Rogers One number?

You probably receive 'generally good' customer service because you are a 'resident expert'.
Your posts are usually pretty good, tho
Topic Stats