Wireless Home Phone Qualification

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Regular

Re: Wireless Home Phone Qualification

Does the Rogers Home Phone require a technician to come in and install anything? Would something be installed at the box outside? Trying to avoid that. If we cancel Bell would they want to remove existing phone jacks or would they just become inactive?

This house is fairly old. Built around 1968. So not sure about grade of wiring.

Hello again @Cap07,

You do not need to arrange a technician visit to install the wireless home phone. 

Your existing jacks would indeed become inactive. 

To review the installation steps, please take a look at this post.

You really do not have to worry about wiring as you simply connect your telephones to the WHP equipment that is connected to a power outlet. I really want to reassure you that nothing will be installed on the outside box either.

You can either go in store, to purchase the equipment, or place the order by phone to have it delivered at home.

Don't forget to request the "port-in"of your existing home phone number at the moment of the activation. 

Rogers Customer Care will be able to tell you if your existing home telephone number is eligible for porting.

Only active telephone numbers are eligible to be transferred.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

I'm a Regular

@RogersMaude wrote:

Hello again @Cap07,

You do not need to arrange a technician visit to install the wireless home phone. 

Your existing jacks would indeed become inactive. 

To review the installation steps, please take a look at this post.

You really do not have to worry about wiring as you simply connect your telephones to the WHP equipment that is connected to a power outlet. I really want to reassure you that nothing will be installed on the outside box either.

You can either go in store, to purchase the equipment, or place the order by phone to have it delivered at home.

Don't forget to request the "port-in"of your existing home phone number at the moment of the activation. 

Rogers Customer Care will be able to tell you if your existing home telephone number is eligible for porting.

Only active telephone numbers are eligible to be transferred.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

Is it the same process for Rogers Home Phone? Or would a technician need to install something inside or outside?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

nothing needs to be installed outside generally.

Overall, its a free technician install.. so i would have them come out.

IF a new spliter, etc is required INSIDE the house, they can install that when they are there.. insure proper signal levels.

Again, by default.. rogers will/may not connect to your wiring through the house, etc. 

(i have had them put in the apropriate box, etc, to connect into the existing phone spliter.. but there is no gaurantee that the installer will do that)
But you can do it yourself.. 

Again by just plugging into a JACK available if nearby... or into the splitter yourself.
EG: At my place, the splitter was there.. they installed the home phone modem.. i just took a small patch cord, and took one end off.. and attached that end to the splitter.  All outlets in my house work with it.

I'm a Regular

For the benefit of luddites like myself, can you go through again exactly what is involved in installing Rogers Home Phone? Right now we have three jacks one on each floor. We have three base stations and six handsets. Sounds to me like we'd have to have a technician come in no matter what to install at least one piece of hardware. I'd really like to get rid of Bell which is costing us almost $60/mth for nothing. Telemarketers, banks and a few annoying relatives that you have to suffer through no matter what. There has to be something better. Our Bell bill was actually higher until I managed to negotiate them down a bit. Still too much for what we get

Good day @Cap07,

I am sorry that the information provided was confusing to you.

I believe there are some misconceptions regarding the Wireless Home Phone.

The WHP uses GSM technology. There will be no technician visit to set up the line. 

The activation is done over the phone, then you get the equipment delivered, or in store and you go home with the equipment and active SIM card.

The number of Jacks currently installed in your home, does not have an impact on the service being discussed.

The Wireless Home Phone equipment is plugged in a power outlet, and you can plug up to two base station in the equipment.

RogersMaude

I'm a Regular

Thanks, Maude. I'm thinking wireless won't really work for me so I was asking about the regular Rogers Home Phone installation. Thanks.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Can you have more than 1 WHP per account? I would assume it would be just a matter of getting more than one wireless base station?

Good evening @pmseguin752,

Thank you for your post and I apologize for the delay in getting back to you.

You can definitely have more than one Wireless Home Phone per account, if you wish.

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have anymore inquiries regarding this.

Have a great day!

RogersMaude

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Cap07 wrote:

For the benefit of luddites like myself, can you go through again exactly what is involved in installing Rogers Home Phone? Right now we have three jacks one on each floor. We have three base stations and six handsets. Sounds to me like we'd have to have a technician come in no matter what to install at least one piece of hardware. I'd really like to get rid of Bell which is costing us almost $60/mth for nothing. Telemarketers, banks and a few annoying relatives that you have to suffer through no matter what. There has to be something better. Our Bell bill was actually higher until I managed to negotiate them down a bit. Still too much for what we get

Hi there,

As others have said, Rogers does not have technicians trained to install wireless home phone, its always been self install, and their system does not allow technicains to be dispatched for wireless orders such as this.

I can understand that you wish to have your existing jacks connected to the wireless home phone system, however you can attempt to connect it yourself and see if it works,  however there is no guarentee your house's inside wiring is set up correctly.  You need to wait untill your current Landline provider DISCONNECT'S your home phone line first, so the existing jacks are dead, no dialtone, no dsl signals, no battery, nothing what so ever,  once this is done, connect an RJ11 cable from the output jack of the Rogers Wireless Home Phone device into an unused phone jack in your wall, and if your wall jacks were wired correctly, all the jacks should receive dialtone on them from the Wireless Home Phone unit provided they do not exceed the REN (Ring Equivalent Number) that the device provides. Every phone should have a REN number listed somewhere.

Now if this DOES NOT work, you may need to hire a third party telephone technician, which there are pleanty of them readily available who can do telecom work or even install it if you do not feel safe to do.