Rogers Ignite Home Phone Wiring Issue: Need Help Fixing the Set-up

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Rogers Ignite Home Phone Wiring Issue: Need Help Fixing the Set-up

I followed the white and blue wired cord from the telephone punchdown box and it led to the dangling end of the cord beside the panel box.

IMG_1055.jpg

I've scanned the floor and I don't see a RJ-!! jack lying around. Is there a chance that this cord was wired to the dual phone jack that I showed you earlier? I've taken another photo, so you can tell me if I'm supposed to hook it up on here somehow.

IMG_1056.jpg

Once again, thanks for all the help.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ChristopherDS wrote:

Optimized-3E15A1BC-089C-43AC-A669-4243ED1F63CB.jpeg

Hello @ChristopherDS, so the punch down block is where all your telephone wall jacks terminate to,  the loose wire that is coming off that block just dangling, that needs to be connected to this device here in the picture you posted.  You see the top green and red screws?  we  will be using the top because the top jack is where the line cord is connected to. 

The solid blue wire will be connected to the screw with the RED.

The White with blue stripe wire, will be connected to the screw with the Green.

disconnect the line cord first from the dual jack, then attach the wires to the dual jack, then plug it in and check if your telephone devices have a dial tone.  hopefully they should.  worst case if they do not, then that wire mat have inadvertently came lose and must be punched down correctly which is not an easy thing to do for a DIY'er like you but we will get to that point after but lets try this first.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Okay. A few silly questions. Does it matter which of the RED screw and GREEN screw that I use since there are more than one? Also should I turn off where the wire is coming from or isn't there a major concern over a shock?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ChristopherDS  If you want to double-check where the Rogers tech had connected the wires inside the dual-jack box, loosen the screws, one by one, and you'll likely see a small piece of broken wire fall out.

One other thing: in the picture above... the way that you were holding the box... I mistakenly thought that the coax cable, connected to the modem, was actually Cat 3 telephone cable coming out the dual-jack box.  That's why I was initially really confused as to why you couldn't trace the wire back... and wasn't sure as to what actually got disconnected from what.  🙂

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ChristopherDS wrote:

Also should I turn off where the wire is coming from or isn't there a major concern over a shock?

The shock hazard is minimal.  Telephone operates on 48 V DC and any power on the line should only be coming from the modem side.  Unplug the phone cable from the "TEL 1" port on the modem before doing any work.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you G, Pauly and Datalink.

It worked! We have a dial tone and the ability to make and receive calls. Such a minor thing for what was a big headache this week.

I really appreciate all the help. Thank you so much.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ChristopherDS  That's awesome news! Nice work!!!  I was wondering how your repair efforts had been going.  I'm thrilled to hear that you have dial tone on your phones again!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

"One small step for man, etc, etc, etc .........." Two thumbs up 🙂

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

ChristopherDS. That is awesome. Its a pleasure