cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Home Phone connecting to Ignite Router

jcloughley
I've been here awhile

I'm in the midst of migrating to Ignite Internet.  I already have Rogers Home Phone.  The tech came today and dropped off the router and the TV box.  I have an ARRIS Model TM502G box for home phone. I also have a home alarm system (not Rogers) that currently works correctly.  If this phone box is meant to work with the Ignite router, what do you plug in?  It currently has RJ11 out to my phone demarcation and a COAX CABLE out.

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rogers Home Phone connecting to Ignite Router

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jcloughley The new Rogers box (what you're calling a router) is called a "gateway" and it takes care of phone, TV and Internet.  The old cable phone modem (with RF-coax IN) is no longer used.  What you need to do is connect the gateway phone connection (RJ11) to the telephone junction block at the demarcation point of your home in essentially the same manner as the cable phone modem was connected.

Another option, if the Gateway is not near the demarcation point, is to plug the gateway phone connection into one of your phone jacks near the gateway and in this manner "backfeed" the phone jacks in your home.

However, the fact that you have an alarm system may complicate matters since it's probably also connected somehow to the telephone junction block.  Depending on the manner in which this is connected, the alarm system may, or may not function properly and you may, or may not require the services of an alarm system professional.

Some people, who don't have an alarm system, simply plug the base station of a cordless phone system into the gateway and this takes care of their phones.

This is something you should have researched and discussed with Rogers before attempting an Ignite self-install. There are others on this forum who are more familiar with alarm systems than I, and they should be along to assist soon.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jcloughley The new Rogers box (what you're calling a router) is called a "gateway" and it takes care of phone, TV and Internet.  The old cable phone modem (with RF-coax IN) is no longer used.  What you need to do is connect the gateway phone connection (RJ11) to the telephone junction block at the demarcation point of your home in essentially the same manner as the cable phone modem was connected.

Another option, if the Gateway is not near the demarcation point, is to plug the gateway phone connection into one of your phone jacks near the gateway and in this manner "backfeed" the phone jacks in your home.

However, the fact that you have an alarm system may complicate matters since it's probably also connected somehow to the telephone junction block.  Depending on the manner in which this is connected, the alarm system may, or may not function properly and you may, or may not require the services of an alarm system professional.

Some people, who don't have an alarm system, simply plug the base station of a cordless phone system into the gateway and this takes care of their phones.

This is something you should have researched and discussed with Rogers before attempting an Ignite self-install. There are others on this forum who are more familiar with alarm systems than I, and they should be along to assist soon.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jcloughley wrote:

I'm in the midst of migrating to Ignite Internet.  I already have Rogers Home Phone.  The tech came today and dropped off the router and the TV box.  I have an ARRIS Model TM502G box for home phone. I also have a home alarm system (not Rogers) that currently works correctly.  If this phone box is meant to work with the Ignite router, what do you plug in?  It currently has RJ11 out to my phone demarcation and a COAX CABLE out.

Your Ignite Internet and Ignite Home Phone services will be delivered through your new Ignite XB6 modem/gateway.  Both your old Internet and Home Phone modems will need to be disconnected.  You will then need to unplug the telephone cable from your old Rogers Home Phone modem and plug it into the "TEL 1" jack on the XB6 gateway.

Here is a link to the Ignite Home Phone Easy Installation Guide: https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/how-to-setup-ignite-home-phone

Given that you have a home alarm system that is (almost certainly) wired in such a way that it can seize the phone line when it needs to call out, you must install the XB6 gateway where your old Rogers Home Phone modem had been located.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you cannot install the gateway at the same location as your old home phone modem, here's a workaround that may work...

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Home-Phone/Connecting-home-phone-to-Ignite-Router/m-p/467261#M...

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

If you cannot install the gateway at the same location as your old home phone modem, here's a workaround that may work...

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Home-Phone/Connecting-home-phone-to-Ignite-Router/m-p/467261#M...

That all depends on how the telephone jacks in the house were wired.  If the builder (or their wiring contractor) wired the phone jacks in a "daisy chain" to save a few pennies on telephone cable, this won't be possible.

If you want to place the Ignite gateway somewhere other than in the basement, you may need to get a new wire installed to connect the telephone service.

jcloughley
I've been here awhile

Yep.  Once I understood that the Rogers Home Phone equipment was no longer needed, I just connected the new Ignite modem Telephone 1 jack to where the old equipment connected.  And it just worked.  

It was my misunderstanding that the equipment was now unnecessary.  Thanks for the quick reply.  I'm up and running with Internet and phone.  Now, onto the TV box which should be easy.

annemoore
I've been here awhile

We just got Rogers Home Phone and the instructions we were given to us and they did not work. There are two jack plug ins on the back our our Modem. (We already had Rogers Ignite TV/Internet).  We were told to plug one phone into the first jack on the Modem and if wanting to have all the house phones work, we had to use the second jack input.  This did not work.  What did work was:  We had Bell and had to disconnect the Bell lines, capped them off and sent a direct line to the Modem and it ended up that all the house phones worked (8 of them, we have) with just doing the one line directly into the first jack plug in on the back of our Modem.  (No need to to anything with the second jack on the back of the Modem). And, our phone has an answering machine and it does receive  messages.  No need to have to use or activate  Rogers voice mail/messages. (We were told we had to use it, that our phone answering machine would not work and this is not true for us. Hope this helps. Need more info, we can supply it.

Hi annemoore,

I am truly sorry you were given the wrong information. If you have One Home Phone Telephone number with Rogers, then only One Telephone Jack on the Back of the Ignite Gateway will have a Dial Tone. The second jack is not used. I am not sure if Rogers supports two Telephone lines but if they happened to, then the second Telephone Jack would be for that specific number.

So you are correct by connecting the Tel 1 jack to your existing Inside Wiring it will bring Dial tone to All the jacks in your house, and you are also correct by asking Bell to disconnect the bell lines and cap them off. All in all, if you plug the Tel1 jack into nearest wall jack, it will by nature of the way the wiring works, bring dial tone to ALL the jacks in your house.

On to your second question. The voicemail issue. since you decided to use the Answering machine built into your phone, you are welcome to do that and I myself used to do that in the past. The voicemail thats on your line that Rogers provided even though they say it would not work, what they mean is it "might" cause issues. and you know what? its correct there is a possibility it might cause an issue. Ive seen this in the past, if you are on a phone call already, and somene calls your home phone, the answering machine built into the phone will not receive the call, however the answering machine built into the rogers ignite will pick up the call and the people who leave a message will leave it there so it might be confusing to some people as some messages will be on the answering machine and some will be on the ignite voice mail box.

The BEST option would be to speak to a customer service agent and ask politely if they can "exclude" the voicemail service, if they can not do it then a Case Manager or super visor might be able to, but there HAS to be a way to do it. I worked for phone companies in the past and there is ALWAYS a way.

anyways enjoy your ignite
Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 in conversation