cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Home Phone Problem

User14
I'm a trusted contributor

Yesterday afternoon (8 Jan 2019) I received an email from a technician who tried to contact me by phone three times to set up an appointment to repair a dishwasher. 

"We have receive the parts. I am not able to reach by phone says you cannot receive incoming calls."

I called him and he had the right number, but I do recall that I tried to log on to the Rogers internet site and got this message around 10:15 am which is when the technician tried to call.

Can the Rogers Internet maintenance service STOP my Home Phone from working and how would I know? 

190108 Maintenance mode.jpg

***EDITED LABELS***

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Rogers Home Phone Problem

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While rogers home phone is a form of Voip..  its supposed to be segregated.
Even with the internet down, etc.. the home phone system is supposed to still continue working..

(at least is the case with the standard internet & rogers home phone..  not sure if the Ignite setup is the same)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@User14 : Are you talking about a VOIP phone like Voip.ms or Ooma or similar?  If you're talking about those, then the internet not working would cause a problem.

However, if you're talking about Rogers Home Phone, then it's different and as mentioned above is "separate" from the internet, however, if there's an issue with your Rogers cable connection - for example affecting RHP, Internet and TV, then obviously all would be "down".  How did you receive the e-mail?

The screen shot you posted comes up quite often when trying to login to Rogers, it may be when they are actually doing maintenance (on the website), or it may just come up at random.  The screenshot is regarding the website.

User14

@57 wrote:

@User14: Are you talking about a VOIP phone like Voip.ms or Ooma or similar?  If you're talking about those, then the internet not working would cause a problem.

However, if you're talking about Rogers Home Phone, then it's different and as mentioned above is "separate" from the internet, however, if there's an issue with your Rogers cable connection - for example affecting RHP, Internet and TV, then obviously all would be "down".  How did you receive the e-mail?

The screen shot you posted comes up quite often when trying to login to Rogers, it may be when they are actually doing maintenance (on the website), or it may just come up at random.  The screenshot is regarding the website.

I have the basic Rogers Home Phone described here:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/questions-about-rogers-home-phone

I have included some of the text below:

• If you do have other Rogers services, we want to assure you that our Network Engineering Team carefully plans each maintenance event to ensure that activity to upgrade and improve one service does not impact other services. For example, when maintenance is performed on the Rogers Digital Cable network, it rarely impacts the Rogers Hi-Speed Internet service.

I believe Rogers maintenance DID impact my Home Phone service.   I also believe Rogers can not inform me when my Home Phone service will be affected, because they really don't know what unintended consequences occur when they are doing maintenance.  This is why they make the statement "rarely impacts". 

Is this something to bring up to Rogers for clarification, or should I just forget about it?  When you lose your incoming phone service and you don't know about it, that could have serious consequences.

I believe there needs to be some mechanism to give you a LOS (Loss of Service) indication for your Home Phone.

Perhaps a text message to your cell phone if you have one.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If I lose phone service at my home, which happens occasionally, anyone calling can still leave me a message on my voicemail (which is on Rogers' Servers).  My voicemail also gets sent to me by e-mail (Home and away voicemail feature).  I'm not sure if you have either feature on your RHP, but in my case I know as soon as I check my e-mail and if I had e-mail set up on my cell phone, I would know "instantly", as long as someone leaves me a message.

User14

@57 wrote:

If I lose phone service at my home, which happens occasionally, anyone calling can still leave me a message on my voicemail (which is on Rogers' Servers).  My voicemail also gets sent to me by e-mail (Home and away voicemail feature).  I'm not sure if you have either feature on your RHP, but in my case I know as soon as I check my e-mail and if I had e-mail set up on my cell phone, I would know "instantly", as long as someone leaves me a message.

When I call my Home Phone with my cell, I didn't have this problem.  

On Thursday, 10 Jan 2019, the same technician emailed me to say he had the same problem that morning.  

"Hi,  tried to call you and same issue. Can you call me ? thanks "

He says that he is calling the right number, but you never know if he is subconsciously reversing the digits.

I'll let this go for now, unless someone else tells me they had the same problem. 

Thanks for the feedback.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Hi there. Sorry for the late reply i have a very hectic lifestyle so I can not check the forums daily.

To answer the question. My parents still have Rogers cable powered Home phone service. They do not love it to death but they are satisfied with it somewhat but they still have complaints about it but are struggling to deal with the complaints cus theyre senior citizens.

My parents home phone HAS INDEED gone down multiple times. They were waiting for important calls when this happened. They were given little to no notice when this happened. Their internet and tv also goes down simillarily too with little to no notice.

I previously was a telecom technician in the past and can agree yes this stuff sometimes can happen unexpectedly maintenance or not.

When i call them i can not leave a voicemail cus their voicemail is built into their cordless phone handset not the network. They are fixed income too.

Yes its annoying. I experienced frustration when trying to call my parents and the phone line was down. My mom did complain and got compensated but its not a money issue that shes after
Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation