cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Distance Calls Alert

gp-se
I'm an advisor

Hey guys, I have Rogers Home Phone with Canada-Wide calling. Is there a way to turn off the long distance call warning every time I make a non-local call? On my cell phone for example it only gives me the long distance warning when I make an actual long distance call that will cost me extra money. With the Rogers Home Phone I get the warning on any non-local call, however the calls aren't long distance. (calling Toronto from Newmarket)

*Edited Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Long Distance Calls Alert

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

AFAIK, on any home phone, if you dial a number that is "long distance" and don't dial the "1", then you'll hear a recording that the call is long distance. It doesn't matter whether the call is "free" inside your plan or not.

(I have the "1" programmed into all my speed dial entries that are long distance, even though I get 500 minutes free per month and never go over)

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

RogersMoin

Hello, @gp-se

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. I can imagine the long distance alert for every non-local can be irksome; I suggest trying the first-star code from the list.

Keep us posted on the outcome. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

That’s exactly what I was looking for, thanks

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@RogersMoin

I tried the setting (*49) however all that changed was the ringer when someone outside my area code calls my home phone (905). When I try to call my cell phone (416) it still says it's a long distance call, even though I have Canada-Wide calling. 

Hello, @gp-se

Thank you for trying the star code. Have you noticed this alert recently? 

I'm wondering whether dialling "1" followed by the number will be helpful in eliminating the alert. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

@RogersMoin wrote:

Hello, @gp-se

Thank you for trying the star code. Have you noticed this alert recently? 

I'm wondering whether dialling "1" followed by the number will be helpful in eliminating the alert. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

@RogersMoin

Yes I have to dial 1 every time, this is very annoying. Is there a way to turn off this alert on calls that aren't actually long distance. If I was calling the US or overseas then yes I would want the warning because I'd be paying extra for an actual long distance call. However I'm calling Toronto from Newmarket which isn't actually long distance since I have Canada Wide calling and I'm not paying any long distance fee's to make the call.

Like I mentioned earlier, I just want my home phone to act like my cell phone. No alerts for long distance calls/no having to dial 1 unless the call is really a long distance call (US or Overseas)

Hey there @gp-se,

We did a little digging and regrettably there isn't any way to disable the long distance alert through home phone at this time, without entering the "1" before the number being called. Sorry for any disappointment. 😞 

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi gp-se,

What exactly does this Long Distance Calls Alert sound like? is it a recording? what does it say? does it happen when you DON'T put the 1 infront of your call? Does it happen when you DO put the 1 infront of your call?   What city do you live, what city are you calling?    

The reason I ask is my mom has Rogers Home Phone and used to call my landline and it was long distance but she NEVER mentioned anything about a long distance alert when she called my home? she just dialed me as 1-905-xxx-xxxx and the call went thru without a hitch.  I always thought that was the case was not aware of some alert? plz let me know more about this

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

AFAIK, on any home phone, if you dial a number that is "long distance" and don't dial the "1", then you'll hear a recording that the call is long distance. It doesn't matter whether the call is "free" inside your plan or not.

(I have the "1" programmed into all my speed dial entries that are long distance, even though I get 500 minutes free per month and never go over)

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
I get it, I get the alert too, I always thought the alert was normal when you forget to put the 1 infront I guess I was wrong?? not

but what does the op mean by getting the warning on any non-local call? doesn't non local mean long distance? is the op putting just the area code and number? please elabourate

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@Pauly wrote:
I get it, I get the alert too, I always thought the alert was normal when you forget to put the 1 infront I guess I was wrong?? not

but what does the op mean by getting the warning on any non-local call? doesn't non local mean long distance? is the op putting just the area code and number? please elabourate

My home phone area code is 905, so if I dial a 416 number I have to dial 1 or I get the warning that it's a long distance call. It's just really annoying thats all, I'm used to the cell phone where I dial any number in Canada without having to dial 1. My home phone also has Canada Wide calling, so I'm not being charged long distances fees to dial 416

DominicB
I plan to stick around

It depends how the switch is set up.  Permissive is possible with or without a recorded announcement.
We could even dial into adjacent area codes without the area code.  This was done by ensuring any local calling area with more than one area code in a split or overlay did not have duplicate NXX CO codes in the 'other' area code for that rate center. This was done in Ottawa.

In Manhattan, NYC, all wireline calls are 11 digits with the redundant 1.  In long distance 011 is overseas DDD, but 01 is operator assisted.  Now, to call ITALY you just enter +39 965 xxxxxx on a cell vs. 011 39 965 xxxxxx, where 011 is the exit code, 39 is the country code, 965 is the routing or area code and xxxxxx is the local #.

The 1 is no longer necessary for routing.  It is a holdover from SxS electromechanical switches which had to select an LD trunk when you went off hook, so the leading 1 did that and allowed the switch to simply repeat it to the LD tandem without the 1.  But 0+ Operator Assisted came in to save time (to display the number on the operator's console), so you had to tell it to do so.  It was also necessary on calling card calls.  1 was actually 113 I think before they standardized (with step).

Long distance in 416 used to be 1 + NNX-XXXX, an eight digit number.  The danger is a dialing error may translate from a local to an LD prefix if the leading 1 is not there.

In the original plan, area codes could only have a 0 or 1 as the middle digit.  If an entire state or province was serviced by one area code, the middle digit was 0.  If a state or province required more than one area code, the middle digit was 1 for all codes serving that province or state.  The 2nd digit told it how to route.

This was DDD -- direct distance dialing.  For common control analog 5XB or TDM DMS, the switch threw the 1 out anyway when it analyzed the entire number, vs. step which processed one digit at a time.  Dialing 212 555 2358 as 221 555 2358 and it would read that as 221-5552.   Local CO prefixes could not have a 0 or 1 as the middle digit, and although it was possible to use CO codes like 220, they often started at 221 and not 220.  Then 911 and 411 and that required pretranslation.

Enter all your numbers on wireless to North American destinations as  +1 NPA NXX XXXX and you'll be fine.
If I called Italy I would dial 011 39 965 xxxxxx, where 011 is the exit code, 39 is the country code, 965 is the routing code within the country

The reason for the 1 was also to prevent a local call from translating to LD when 8 dialing LD dialing was in effect.

When Hamilton was 416 and LD from Toronto, you dialed 1 + NNX XXXX, an eight digit number.

Our DMS switches did not need you to tell us the call was long distance or local, as we would look up the first six in a local call screening area table.  When portability came in, an ACQ had to be done with an LRN.  That's why it's local number portability.

Confused yet?

This alert is so annoying.  You have people setup in your contacts.  They call you and your phone log does not add the 1 in front but you have the setup in contacts with the 1. 

When you select them from the call history, it does not put the 1 because they called you.

Please Rogers, update this situation.  There is another Canadian phone carrier that does not have this issue.

Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 7 in conversation