Long Distance Calls Alert

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Long Distance Calls Alert

Hey guys, I have Rogers Home Phone with Canada-Wide calling. Is there a way to turn off the long distance call warning every time I make a non-local call? On my cell phone for example it only gives me the long distance warning when I make an actual long distance call that will cost me extra money. With the Rogers Home Phone I get the warning on any non-local call, however the calls aren't long distance. (calling Toronto from Newmarket)

*Edited Labels*

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Long Distance Calls Alert

Hello, @gp-se

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. I can imagine the long distance alert for every non-local can be irksome; I suggest trying the first-star code from the list.

Keep us posted on the outcome. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That’s exactly what I was looking for, thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersMoin

I tried the setting (*49) however all that changed was the ringer when someone outside my area code calls my home phone (905). When I try to call my cell phone (416) it still says it's a long distance call, even though I have Canada-Wide calling. 

Hello, @gp-se

Thank you for trying the star code. Have you noticed this alert recently? 

I'm wondering whether dialling "1" followed by the number will be helpful in eliminating the alert. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersMoin wrote:

Hello, @gp-se

Thank you for trying the star code. Have you noticed this alert recently? 

I'm wondering whether dialling "1" followed by the number will be helpful in eliminating the alert. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

@RogersMoin

Yes I have to dial 1 every time, this is very annoying. Is there a way to turn off this alert on calls that aren't actually long distance. If I was calling the US or overseas then yes I would want the warning because I'd be paying extra for an actual long distance call. However I'm calling Toronto from Newmarket which isn't actually long distance since I have Canada Wide calling and I'm not paying any long distance fee's to make the call.

Like I mentioned earlier, I just want my home phone to act like my cell phone. No alerts for long distance calls/no having to dial 1 unless the call is really a long distance call (US or Overseas)

Hey there @gp-se,

We did a little digging and regrettably there isn't any way to disable the long distance alert through home phone at this time, without entering the "1" before the number being called. Sorry for any disappointment. Smiley Sad 

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi gp-se,

What exactly does this Long Distance Calls Alert sound like? is it a recording? what does it say? does it happen when you DON'T put the 1 infront of your call? Does it happen when you DO put the 1 infront of your call?   What city do you live, what city are you calling?    

The reason I ask is my mom has Rogers Home Phone and used to call my landline and it was long distance but she NEVER mentioned anything about a long distance alert when she called my home? she just dialed me as 1-905-xxx-xxxx and the call went thru without a hitch.  I always thought that was the case was not aware of some alert? plz let me know more about this

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

AFAIK, on any home phone, if you dial a number that is "long distance" and don't dial the "1", then you'll hear a recording that the call is long distance. It doesn't matter whether the call is "free" inside your plan or not.

(I have the "1" programmed into all my speed dial entries that are long distance, even though I get 500 minutes free per month and never go over)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I get it, I get the alert too, I always thought the alert was normal when you forget to put the 1 infront I guess I was wrong?? not

but what does the op mean by getting the warning on any non-local call? doesn't non local mean long distance? is the op putting just the area code and number? please elabourate

What's New
Rogers MyWiFi App

The Rogers MyWiFi beta is now running. We also have a contest running for participates. Join the discussion HERE.

BARE KNUCKLE FC 3: Takeover Live
Saturday October 20, 2018
LIVE: 9:00pm ET
Channel: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD)
Price: $39.99 HD | SD | Ignite TV

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship, the oldest and newest combat sport, will crown a heavyweight champion during their newest event The Takeover.

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 6 in conversation