Landline portability...

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Landline portability...

Contact bell today and ask them to port and cancellation the phone. No Rogers can't refuse to port the number but as 57 pointed out the order is crucial. Bell has to initiate the port before cancellation and they so both of those. You don't need to even talk to Bell. Then cancel the other services. Typically you do that.

So Rogers description is creating confusion of the actions. If you cancel before the port to new service you lose the number. I think that is what they are trying to say while creating confusion for you.

I do hope that although you have set up Bell already a week away that you have not cancelled the Rogers phone line yet. If you have, unfortunately you have already lost the number. Here is crossing my fingers that bell has already initiated the port.

Good luck. Let us know.

So try community helps. We as users like you can only say what we know not give best advice for each unique situation. They can chat with you via PM and see exactly where you are at and what is possible.

Bruce
I'm a Senior Advisor

I reread your post. Call Rogers advice them of cancel date for the services of other than phone and that bell will contact them to port number and cancel line. You have to return all equipment to store. As exactly what you have to return and get a receipt.

Then contact bell and confirm that they are porting the number and cancelling the phone.

Again see what community helps can do to facilitate this all since you are hear or go to my to gets contact us chat or call the number.

Goodluck. This is the best I can explain but a lot depends on what each company has done so far. As of today you are still on a Rogers phone so I do hope that since the actions are a week away that it all can be done.

Bruce
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks both 57 and Bruce for the replies and advice. 

I've called Bell and they neglected to tell me about the activation etc fees so there seems to be a bit of a glitch. They've stated a supervisor will call me back, I'm hoping this can be resolved in time. 

Cancellation date for all three services is Feb 26th, I'm wondering if I should just cancel TV and Internet until the porting can be resolved. 

I know it would be much easier to stay with Rogers, but this has been the most frustrating negotiations I've ever encountered and Rogers doesn't seem to want to budge on price, even though others have negotiated a much lower price. It amazes me that as a new customer to Bell, it's easier to get a lower price than a loyalty existing customer to Rogers. customer. Sorry for the rant. 

Thanks again.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Nickel11 wrote:

1. I'm hoping this can be resolved in time. 

2. It amazes me that as a new customer to Bell, it's easier to get a lower price than a loyalty existing customer to Rogers. customer.

1. Good Luck. Let's hope it's not already too late.

2. It shouldn't. It's like a loss leader, or other similar tactic to get you to shop/buy there.  Once the introductory offer is over, you may find Bell more difficult to deal with and at a higher price than Rogers. Some people seem to be willing to switch providers every couple of years to get the introductory pricing, but for others that's too much trouble, especially if you own TV STBs.

I Plan to Stick Around

I just wanted to update those that replied to my thread. 

I called Rogers retentions today to confirm that the termination was set for Feb 26 (confirmed it was) and possibly cancel the bundle termination should my last attempt at coming to a agreement on package and pricing work out. The Rogers rep put me on hold for 5 minutes, in order to work out his best deal only to never return as my internet and home phone was cancelled by Rogers in the middle of the call. I had no idea it was cancelled until 3 hour later after my diagnostic came to that conclusion. What I couldn't understand is, I still had cable TV.

Long story short, Rogers didn't take responsibly even though nobody asked that it be cancelled 7 days early. In the end I work out an upgraded Bundle package, TV, Internet, landline, which I'm not overly happy about. Since I wasn't able to get a 24 month term,  I'm going to learn from my mistakes and look for another provider sooner and not cancel with Rogers until the new service has started. This way Rogers can't cut off my services anytime they so choose. The Bundle package deal only took 4 calls, 6 people and 6 hours of phone time, which with probably 4 hours of it, on hold. I'd rather go to a dentist than go through this again. 

The one thing I am happy about is our Cell phone packages with Rogers, although that's under a business plan. 

I believe my 33 relationship with Rogers will come to an end after my 12 month contract. Thanks for your help BS (Bruce) and 57, I truly appreciate it.