I have a few questions about home phone service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: I have a few questions about home phone service

That, I wouldn't know. I assume somewhere on the main floor, or the floor below that.

I know there's also a panel inside our coat closet at the front of our unit that the technician popped open when setting up our cable TV hookup. Not sure what's in there. Haven't looked into it since.

The home modem itself...where would that be hooked up in the my specific unit?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you looked inside that panel, you will probably find both cable and phone wiring.  That sounds like the structured wiring panel for your condo.  The question is, is there enough space for a phone modem and is there a plug to provide power to the modem.  That is something that the tech will have to determine.  In a worst case scenario, the phone modem itself can go anywhere that has a cable port on a wallplate and a nearby power source. 

I've Been Here Awhile

I'll take a look later today and tell you what I find. If there is space, the modem would be mounted on the wall/inside that panel itself? I just assumed it would be where the cable TV/internet is.

All I want is to just plug my phone into the wall. No hassle, no mess Smiley Indifferent
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If there is space and power, I imagine that the tech will park the modem inside the panel.  That is where my Home Phone modem has been for the last 10 years or so.  And .... you plug your phone into the phone jack, no hassle, no mess.  But, it all depends on what the tech determines when he or she opens the panel.  No guarantees on that one.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

So you were right. They came yesterday and inserted the modem in the cable box found in our coat closet in our condo. Took them a while to get it up and running, but after one day, so far so good. And yes, no hassle, no mess. I'm happy Smiley Happy

Thanks for calming me down a little lol
I'm Here A Lot

new phone

I may need to buy a new phone. Will any phone (wireless or landline) have access to the Rogers answering service?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mhm45 wrote:

new phone

I may need to buy a new phone. Will any phone (wireless or landline) have access to the Rogers answering service?

@mhm45

They should work fine, I use Panasonic Cordless phones and they work with Rogers Voicemail.

I'm Here A Lot

To go-se

Thank you. That’s what I’m looking for. To get a model that flashes a signal when there is a message waiting, do I have to purchase one with an answering machine built in?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mhm45wrote:

To get a model that flashes a signal when there is a message waiting, do I have to purchase one with an answering machine built in?

If you're going to be using Rogers voicemail, you don't need an answering machine. I also use Panasonic Cordless phones and recommend them.  Make sure it has the features you want and it should flash the "message waiting" light when there is a message on Rogers Voicemail.  On mine I also get an indication on the LCD display regarding a missed call and/or voicemail

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you. I think I’ll look at the Panasonic phones!