Home Phone installation issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Home Phone installation issues

Hi All,

So last Friday (June 3, 2016) Rogers came out to switch me over from Bell phone to the Rogers phone. After 2 hours, the phone was still not working at all. The tech tried several different boxes, even met with another technician to get new boxes, and still no working phone.

He then told me it was an issue on Rogers' end, and the phone would just work after 24-48 hours.  I'm almost at 72 hours and still no working phone. I have tried multiple phones, in multiple jacks and no luck.

Has anyone else had had a similar issue when getting their home phone installed?

The home phone does NOT work, but my Internet and Cable TV are working perfectly.

I have to admit that based on my first 3 days, I'm missing Bell already.

**Edited Labels**

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Home Phone installation issues

Just to confirm.. to make sure they DID connect everything right..

Go to where the phone modem they installed was, and plug a phone directly into the back on the unit.
Confirm if it works just out of there.

There is quite a number of times, where we have heard on here of people where the unit is just not connected INTO the rest of the house correctly.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would be very surprised if the tech did not do this already.

I Plan to Stick Around

Can I skip Home phone installation? 

I already have a free known good cable connection to use, and I will be plugging the phone directly into the modem, which will sit on a desk. Can I just pickup the modem and hook it up myself? I know how to do it. I am rarely home, so a Rogers install is inconvenient.

I'm a Senior Advisor

You can't actually put the home phone modem on a cable output jack.

The line for home phone is spliced off the jack for your Internet, or sometimes even a separate line.  Rogers tries to keep its cable streams separate from the data streams of Internet and Cable.

It may work, I don't know, but they don't set it up that way.

Bruce

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Huh??  That's not right.  We're talking about your average, every day, run of the mill cable connected Home Phone modem, correct?  My home phone modem is connected to the cable system, running off of one of the splitter ports.  To connect to the house phone wiring, the output cable from the one of the modem's RJ-11 jacks is patched into two wires that connect to the 66 block.  The house was connected to Bell's system previously, but that was cut and the patched RJ-11 cable was connected to the Home Phone modem.  Its been that way now for at least ten years.  For any customer who is only going to use a single phone, connected directly to the Home Phone Modem, it should be a pretty simple install.  Connect the coax cable, connect the phone to the correct RJ-11 jack, use phone.  Just have to make sure that the modem has been placed on the account and activated and that you're plugged into the correct RJ-11 port on the modem.  The only difficulty might be if there are multiple services already in the home, which requires a splitter or amplifier with multiple ports.  If there is an existing "appropriate" splitter with an open port, then there wouldn't be any issue.  The Home Phone modem probably has a DOCSIS operating range that is similar to the internet modem, in terms of allowable min and max signal levels.  So, if an additional splitter is required, or if a larger splitter is required, then it might be a little tricky in order to prevent a large signal drop to any of the other devices.  That's where the tech install enters the picture.

I Plan to Stick Around

Ya, it is simple. And since I don't use cable TV now (I only watch hockey and NBA online), I am just going to disconnect the cable to my NEXTbox, and use that for the phone. So, any Rogers people out there? Can I just pickup the modem and do it myself?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Call the local Rogers store.  They should be able to answer the question.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Although Rogers Home Phone may work on any cable connection, they usually do a truck roll to check the signal and make the home phone connection the first (or second) split off the demarcation point, while also checking other signals for internet or cable TV (if applicable.)

I believe it's pretty rare that they allow for a "self install" of RHP.  You may need to find a time that's suitable for you and Rogers.