cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does rogers home phone support fax and home alarms?

nkgers
I plan to stick around

So I'm thinking to get Rogers Home Phone, but the rep on live chat isnt clear for that so yeah, does Rogers Home Phone support fax and home alarms?? 

nkgers | remember to leave a KUDO 😄
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Does rogers home phone support fax and home alarms?

RogersJermaine

Hey @nkgers 

The Rogers home phone services does support fax and home alarm systems, along with the three services: Hybrid Fibre 250, Digital Plus TV, and Home Phone deluxe. You would definitely qualify for a bundle package. Smiley Happy 

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Should, i wouldnt see why not for the security system.

Rogers home phone, is as close as you will get to a POTS line. 

I know faxing works.. i has a 2nd line ring for my fax machine, and have sent faxes all the time on the RHP.

It would only be maybe when you get into VOIP stuff, i could see potential issues.

nkgers
I plan to stick around

Also, does Rogers allow another phone number for fax? Since I have 2 numbers, one for phone and one for fax Smiley Happy

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Two seperate LINES? I am not sure.

But they do have the distinctive ring service.  You pay for a 2nd number, but comes in on the same line, just different rings, and you set your fax to receive on the different ring.
I used that service for about 5 years with the rogers home phone

nkgers
I plan to stick around

Two more questions:

first, is there some kind of fees such as transfer, new phone box and other things? A few days ago my local radio said that theres alot of hassles of this and that when switching to new home phone providers... I don't want to end up paying over $400+, espically since my plans are not eligable for a bundle.

second, does Rogers uses cable for their home phone, or its just the same like when there house was built (bell box)? When I saw people troubleshooting on the forums, I saw some fellow RE'er talk about that cable thingy.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No there is nothing special for it per say fee wise, etc.

Pretty much, rogers will come out.. and add a 'phone modem' box in the house.  This looks kinda like the other internet modems, etc... but it only really has the cable INPUT on it, and then a phone line OUT on it.  the phone line OUT, will connect then BACK into your exisiting phone infrastructure in your house.

No big extra fees, etc. 

Setup SHOULD be free as far as i am aware.

There are no RENTAL fees, the box is included in your phone charges.

Just really depends then on what PLAN (with what features) you then have.

nkgers
I plan to stick around

Hydrid Fibre 250 + Digital Plus + Home Phone Deluxe = NOT a bundle?? if not, >:U

Lurker
I'm a senior advisor

Why would Internet+TV+Home Phone NOT be a bundle?

In fact, if you're adding HP, you probably qualify for the 200gb bonus, free NB rental for 3 yrs and free canada wide calling...

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

MAYBE you need to be VIP level, not digital plus for TV?

But i dont beleive so.. you should qualify (unless possibly you have some other some specific discount which may override being able to)

But yeah, should be able to get the free 200g usage.

RogersJermaine

Hey @nkgers 

The Rogers home phone services does support fax and home alarm systems, along with the three services: Hybrid Fibre 250, Digital Plus TV, and Home Phone deluxe. You would definitely qualify for a bundle package. Smiley Happy 

So how does it work and do you get a distinguished ring?

Hello @dcm1213

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Forums.

Distinctive Ring allows a single telephone line to accept incoming calls for more than one phone number. The line will ring differently when a call comes in for each of the numbers linked to the original line.

RogersSannecia

It is an add on.

Depending on your plan/package, you would have to pay to add it on.

When you get it, you would get a different number... BUT it would come in on the same line.
It would have a different ring.  (one long, two short i beleive by default?)

From there, you would need to put in the fax machine settings.. for it to only pick up on distincitve ring.

MyAxman
I plan to stick around

What product from Rogers WILL support fax?

Greetings @MyAxman,

Thanks for posting your query in the Rogers Community Forums!

As mentioned by a few folks in this thread, our Rogers Home Phone service is compatible with fax machines. You may use the service with a fax machine on it's own or you may wish to add our Distinctive Ring feature on for $6/month. The Distinctive Ring feature provides a virtual phone number that will ring through to the same telephone line it is added to with a different ring pattern than the standard ring pattern (if available on the telephone unit being used). This is how you'll be able to tell a voice call from an incoming fax transmission.

I can also confirm that our newer Ignite Home Phone service is also compatible with fax machines, however, no add-on is needed. You would simply plug the Ignite Home Phone line directly into your fax line.

I hope this information is useful! 😊

RogersLaura

MyAxman
I plan to stick around

I found that when I plugged in my HP Printer/fax it was unable to send nor receive. The printer answered the call but sender got a communications failure

Are there parameters that need to be tweaked

Hello @MyAxman,

Sorry to hear that you've been having some trouble with receiving your faxes. 😟

May I confirm which type of home phone service you have active with us? Is it one of our cable home phone packages or is it our Ignite home phone service? 

If you have one of our cable home phone packages along with our Distinctive Ring add on, please have a look at this helpful troubleshooting article: 

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/distinctive-ring-fax-machine-issues

Let us know if this helps! 🙂

RogersLaura

When I lived with my parents we had Rogers cable home phone, and It worked with my home alarm system as well as my fax machine.

I did not fax often nor did i need to receive faxes, so I did not need to have a separate fax number and it still worked.

Hey @Pauly,

Thanks for that! I wasn't entirely sure if Distinctive Ring was a requirement or just a helpful add-on. I appreciate you clearing that up! I shall edit my post accordingly. 👍 

Any ideas why @MyAxman's faxes wouldn't be working properly? Any insight or advice you can provide would be awesome! 😊

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

Distinctive ring is just to give your fax machine a different number and different ring pattern on the same phone jack as your regular home number so the fax will know when a incoming call is for the fax to answer, otherwise if you dont have it, if the fax machine set to answer it will answer every call including your aunt mary and uncle benny calling you and they will hear the fax squeal.

@RogersYasmine wrote:

Hey @Pauly,

Thanks for that! I wasn't entirely sure if Distinctive Ring was a requirement or just a helpful add-on. I appreciate you clearing that up! I shall edit my post accordingly. 👍 

Any ideas why @MyAxman's faxes wouldn't be working properly? Any insight or advice you can provide would be awesome! 😊

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

I can confirm that the Ignite Home Phone service works with my monitored alarm system.  I haven't tested Fax but I know from experience that it can be tricky to get Fax working over VoIP.  Fax is sensitive to latency/jitter and if you use a lower-bitrate voice CODEC that employs compression, it will make fax transmission impossible.

In enterprise IP telephony environments, you typically need to configure the analog voice port to support T.38 on the line.  Fax can also work over G.711 but even if you are using a high-bandwidth/high fidelity codec, you also might need to adjust/tune/disable echo cancellation and/or voice activity detection when you provision the port.  (This is the technical side of things.  We, obviously, have no control over how the XB6 is provisioned.)

I have also seen conflicting information as to whether Fax is supported on Ignite Home Phone.  An article comparing Rogers voice services says that it is.  The legalese in https://www.rogers.com/web/consumer/ignite-bundles/get-iptv (click "See Full Details" at the bottom of the page) says that using the service for Fax is prohibited.

4. For direct dialled conversations or voice messages to Canadian numbers only, based on a total of 44,650 minutes available in a month. Chat lines, data, fax and/or long distance calls made using call forwarding and three-way calling features are prohibited.

Technically, Fax may or may not work depending on how you have the service provisioned.

If Fax does work and you want to be able to receive faxes, you'll need to work around incoming calls going to voice mail.  Through MyRogers, you can configure calls to go to voicemail after 8 rings and then configure the fax machine to pick up on the 6th ring.

Topic Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 10 in conversation