Collect call costs

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Collect call costs

In August I learned that a friend of mine would need to make some daily collect calls to me.  Concerned about the cost, I called Rogers and spoke with "Drew from Dartmouth" who very pleasantly told me the costs associated.

Fast forward to my recent bill and a 20 minute collect call is ~$25 PER CALL.

Today I am trying to LiveChat with someone about this but...I click on LiveChat and nobody shows up.

I'm terribly frustrated and am looking for ideas on how to address this huge difference in cost with Rogers. 

Help.

*** Edited Labels ***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Collect call costs

Good evening @secondhalf,

Welcome to the Community & Thank you for your post!

I understand the unpleasant surprise you must of had when receiving your invoice and seeing the charges generated by the collect calls. I definitely want to help you shed some light on this situation.

Your friend, that calls collect, will require you to accept the charges and then you’ll pay in bulk on your monthly bill. When you accept a collect call, you are paying per minute, per call, and the connection fee every occurrence. 

For regular collect calls, the charges billed every time are normally $2.50 for the Operator Assistance connection fee and $0.15 per minute rate. You can find more information here.

Do you know if the call is originating from your local calling area or if there could be long distance charges applicable?

Although you did not specify, if currently in a correctional facility, your loved one will need to use a payphone to get in touch with you. Rates for call originating from an inmate may differ. I would recommend you to get in touch with the correctional facility, where he/she is held, to know more about the specific rates billed in such circumstances. I know how important it is to stay connected especially through tough times.

If it is not the case, I apologize, I am purely speculating.

Don't hesitate to share your findings with the Community! Smiley Wink

RogersMaude

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted

Re: Collect call costs

Good evening @secondhalf,

Welcome to the Community & Thank you for your post!

I understand the unpleasant surprise you must of had when receiving your invoice and seeing the charges generated by the collect calls. I definitely want to help you shed some light on this situation.

Your friend, that calls collect, will require you to accept the charges and then you’ll pay in bulk on your monthly bill. When you accept a collect call, you are paying per minute, per call, and the connection fee every occurrence. 

For regular collect calls, the charges billed every time are normally $2.50 for the Operator Assistance connection fee and $0.15 per minute rate. You can find more information here.

Do you know if the call is originating from your local calling area or if there could be long distance charges applicable?

Although you did not specify, if currently in a correctional facility, your loved one will need to use a payphone to get in touch with you. Rates for call originating from an inmate may differ. I would recommend you to get in touch with the correctional facility, where he/she is held, to know more about the specific rates billed in such circumstances. I know how important it is to stay connected especially through tough times.

If it is not the case, I apologize, I am purely speculating.

Don't hesitate to share your findings with the Community! Smiley Wink

RogersMaude

View solution in original post