cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call display only shows number and not name

RyeEncoke
I plan to stick around

So just changed to Ignite tv/internet/home phone.  Up til now when someone called the name and number would show up on the tv screen.  It no longer does that with Ignite, hopefully they will add that into Ignite at some point.  Now on my home phone there is a call display.  It does display the number of the person calling but not the name.  I have tested it out with my brother and have him in my contacts but it never displays the name.  The phone I am using though has only a line of numbers for the date and then below that the number comes up...so 2 display lines.  Is the problem because I don't have room, ie a third display line, for the name of the caller to show up?

***Edited Labels***

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Call display only shows number and not name

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RyeEncoke : If the name doesn't come up with your current phone, then you will likely need to get a phone that does do name display. I would think that most newer cordless phones would have that feature where they would either display the name of the caller if the caller has programmed a name for their phone (not everyone does), or would display the name based on the number, if that person is in your phone's contact list.

Some phones may only have 2 lines, however, those lines can perform several functions so that they can display:

- If you have a message waiting

- If you have a missed call

- The current date and time,

- If an extension is in use, etc.

What is the make/model of your current phone. If you're looking for a new cordless phone I recommend Panasonic for their features, quality and reliability.

RyeEncoke
I plan to stick around

I don't want a cordless phone, just a corded landline phone that sits on my desk.  The one I have I have had for....7 years I think.  Cheap one from walmart I think, name is Uvital.  Works great and didn't worry about the call display on the phone since it was all on the tv.  Now though I need one that has number and name display.  I have been looking at Amazon and have thought I might get the "VTech CD1281 corded big button telephone".  Not sure if I can put in links but copy pasting everything in the quotes should bring you right to the phone.  It is pretty much everything I would need in a phone.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello RyeEncoke,

It sounds like you have combined 2 questions concerns into one in your original/initial post, which I am happy to explain to you in simple terms the average joe can understand.

The Legacy Rogers Cable TV service you used to have, contained a service to display the incoming call number AND name (if available) from your Rogers Home Phone on to the TV screen yes you are correct, and I am happy you enjoyed this service/feature.

When you switched to Ignite TV with Ignite Home Phone, unfortunately Rogers did not design this TV experience, it was licensed from the company in the USA who created it, so some features that people are used to such as the TV Call Display are not available, you already are aware of this and we understand your disappointment.

You now have to rely on your corded Telephone handset to see the incoming callers when ever you get a call.

It is very possible Your Telephone set Never had the ability to display the Caller Name, since you said you were used to looking it at the TV screen all the time so it did not bother you that your Corded Telephone Set did not support Name display.   You can easily buy a Corded Telephone Set that supports Name display at stores such as Walmart, The source, Bestbuy, The Bell Store, The Mall, even Flea Market vendors will sell them.

You just need to be aware, that even though your phone service and telephone set might support Name display, not every number that calls you will transmit the name, some will transmit the number only.  My Senior Citizen Mother Still has a hard time understanding about this and gets confused all the time.

So yes, if your existing Telephone set does NOT support the display of the Calling Name, then you need to buy one that does.  OR WAIT THERES MORE. Sometimes you dont have to buy an entirely new phone, they sell little gadgets and doohickeys that are just a box with a display and it will ADD Call name and Number display to your phone line, it is not a phone but the phone line passes thru it and displays it on its own separate display, often powered by its own battery or wall plug.  For that you pretty much have to look perhaps online because they are not really sold often but once in a while I see them. Just be sure to double check it supports Number AND Name display, not all of them do.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RyeEncoke wrote:

"VTech CD1281 corded big button telephone".  

I read the reviews of this phone along with the specs.

1. This phone only has room for 25 numbers in the "phone book".  That's pretty limiting for some people.  

2. It appears to lose its memory if you have a long power failure. May need to plug it into a UPS, or get a different phone with battery backup or better capacitor backup.

3. Speakerphone seems to be poor quality if that matters to you

4. Does appear to have name display, but can't be sure.  Check other websites to confirm.

Do a search of Amazon or the web for "corded phone with name display".  I found several much better phones.  Check out the features of various phones and get a phone that has all the features you'll want or need instead of buying a pig in a poke.

RyeEncoke
I plan to stick around

I don't want to pay a fortune for extra bells and whistles.  I only need a couple numbers for the phone book.  Never use speakerphone, the power outage thing is unfortunate but I can live with it. It was the cheapest I could find that had call display with name display

Then get the cheapest one possible,  Also if you go to the Flea market they have inexpensive phones for about $10 and most of them I've seen have Call Name and Number Display

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 in conversation