Unable to "Like" comments from others

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Unable to "Like" comments from others

I have been using Firefox exclusively for everything except Rogers anyplace as I prefer its functionality and security and privacy practices over the alternatives.

But recently after an upgrade that occurred, I am no longer able to "like" comments on the forum from Firefox.  I have no changes or add-on extensions operating on the browser at this time, it is just an out of the box default set up.

But I guess the higher level of security and privacy that Firefox has implemented now prevents one of the cookies related to the page for functionality to not work.  Welcome to the post EU privacy guidelines - time for Rogers to take a look at catching up.

But for now, I can still like on Chrome.  Thanks Rogers for forcing me to have to use non-preferred browsers - oh well, life goes on.

Bruce

Retired Moderator RogersRoland
Retired Moderator

Hey @BS,

I just logged in through FireFox and everything seems to be working fine (Mr Captcha did appear...)

Have you tried closing and reopening the browser to see? When did this issue start occuring?

RogersRoland

I'm a Senior Advisor

I did some debugging, ultimately, I deleted Firefox and did a clean install, refusing to allow my previous add-ons and cookies to be imported.

I had set my firefox to a farely high level, opted out of google analytics, and used the Canadian organization opt out tool.

From playing with an add-on to monitor cookies, I had identified that there is one cookie that is required to make Like's work, can't remember the tool.  Guess Firefox was blocking it, but when I reinstalled, it works now.

I do comment on this issue back in the discussions related to the Yahoo/Oath mess of earlier this year and my analysis of what cookies were required to make the interactive functions of the forum work, as well as chat functionality.  Qualitrics, I think was the third party cookie.

So resolved, but not at my preferred level of choice of what cookies I want on my computer.

Now I have to figure out what extensions I was using as I wiped them all and some of them were useful to me, like mail to and other functions.

Ahh computers - got to love them, got to hate them.  Thought I left all that insanity when I retired from that field.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

Found what blocks the actions.  At the top left hand side of the web page bar, you will see a little shield.

If you click it, it will give you the option of disabling all tracking protection on this page.  Firefox has a feature to block some tracking cookies, and when I logged back into synching on my firefox, this security feature was enabled again.

I can't remember how to turn it on and off, but from that shield, you can disable all Firefox protection from the site, don't know if it is one time, and then the like works.

Firefox is trying to protect us, and the use of the Qualitrix cookie forces us to override all blocking of all the tracking cookies, even the marketing ones in order to use the interactive features.

Will have to find the tool that allowed me to go granular on the cookies again.  Then I can opt in and out of marketing versus essential cookies for page management.

Also the information points out to me that the community is not a protected HTTPS site, not that it matters that much - what we post here is open to the public anyway off a Google search, and we are already warned not to put confidential information here.

Bruce

Highlighted
Retired Moderator RogersRoland
Retired Moderator

Hey @BS,

Thanks for providing your findings. The community will benefit from knowing the root cause and help explain the situation if they are encountered similar symptoms.

I personally use Chrome when logging into the Community but that's because FF gave me an error like a year back and i've never had to change since Smiley Very Happy

RogersRoland

Topic Stats
  • 34 replies
  • 28 Likes
  • 9 in conversation