Signing in to the forum

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Signing in to the forum

@57 wrote:
the cookies or cache have no effect whatsoever on the "Authentication Failed" notice.

What do you think cookies are for, and where they're stored? Did you notice, Rogers authentication server 1st analyzes existing or saves a new cookie and passes the request, redirects to the original page, then fails to finalize the authentication process and send that page content, instead redirecting to default Fault page?

I don't want to sound rude, but this website gives forum members Expert labels based on their post count, which sounds absurd to me. At least the site should account for number of post upvotes when labeling members.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@arnym21 wrote:

@57 wrote:
the cookies or cache have no effect whatsoever on the "Authentication Failed" notice.

What do you think cookies are for?...

I should have been more clear in my statement.  What I was trying to convey is that clearing cookies or cache or any of the other recommendations in the "Authentication Failed" message, do not seem to have any effect (for most people) the next time they try to login.  I therefore believe that the issue lies "elsewhere". 

Since we haven't been able to pick up any pattern to this issue after several months and numerous tests, I believe only Rogers can come up with a solution. The issue with "Authentication Failed" can go away for a couple of weeks and return with a vengeance on some days.  It happens on many different computers, many different browsers and with people trying many different things at many different times of day/week.

I got the "Authentication Failed" message again this morning when trying to reply to your post, but could sign in again one minute later having exited the browser and done nothing else.

I Plan to Stick Around

Of course only Rogers can resolve this issue, since their admins have access to Auth server logs, and therefore can easily identify the root cause bug causing intermittent login problems. I suspect, they don't want to due to a) developing a new site; b) low priority for FF; c) the issue not articulated to high level management, and neither reported through formal bug report channels. Did you try to?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @arnym21

We have all reported this issue to the management and the staff on the forums. At this point they are looking into it as they have said.

They are the only ones that know what's going on. Every day I get over 3 of them and it's getting to the point I am giving up on coming on the forums until this gets fixed. ( it's a hassle to keep trying just to get in it the forums really).

As for the tags underneath the uses names. Some have different tags then others. Posts counts are better then upvoting as anyone can make a fake account and uovote their own profile to get those statuses. You can't do that though the way it is now unless u make posts.

Anyways we have reported the issue here and internally. It's been like this for months. So I hope it gets fixed at some point as many are getting tired of this.
I Plan to Stick Around

Just chatted with Management Office: "I have sent an email with the information you have provided to me to a few different people in charge of Rogers.com as well as the forum. Hopefully this will get some traction and have a fix put in place."

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @arnym21

Thats what the MOD and staff do here as well. They communicate straight to the staff of the Rogers.com development team and management. Now it's up to that department to change things / fix things.
I'm a Senior Advisor

@57 wrote:

I should have been more clear in my statement.  What I was trying to convey is that clearing cookies or cache or any of the other recommendations in the "Authentication Failed" message, do not seem to have any effect (for most people) the next time they try to login.  I therefore believe that the issue lies "elsewhere". 

Since we haven't been able to pick up any pattern to this issue after several months and numerous tests, I believe only Rogers can come up with a solution.

The last couple of days I got the "Authentication Failed" screen I just closed Firefox and then re-opened it and was able to sign in successfully. I did that because I had no other tabs or windows open. Today that didn't work, but deleting Rogers cookies did. Yes, it's Rogers' problem to solve, not up to us to keep coming up with new workarounds. I honestly think that Rogers web developers have too many irons in the fire, nebulous priorities, and too many cooks.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I've had problems logging into the my community forums site ever since I started participating, which was like 4-5 years ago

Between that wall of text error message that everyone has seen at one point or another and the ongoing issue with multiple redirects that ultimately goes nowhere, I can probably successfully login to the site probably 35-40% of the time.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

With all the issues at Rogers - signing into this forum, signing into Webmail, AnyPlace not working properly, I've been trying to sign into this forum several times a day to assist others. 

Unfortunately, I'm still seeing the "Authentication Failed" message about 50% of the time.  I've become very good at quitting/restarting the browser and logging in successfully thereafter.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@57  That pretty much describes my experience.

Log-in - purple screen - log out, make sure that it didn't log me into MyRogers too, I have to log out there too sometimes, try again, eventually I get it.

No predictable steps, just keep stubbornly poking at it.

I did notice a trend in the thread though - it began with a comment and concern about this happening back in September, in an original thread from a few years ago on logging into the forum.

There has been lots of debugging, trying every browser mix and OS combination that we had enough people to do (I like testing, but not in the blind - software testing is supposed to be logic driven through good debugging, and replication and change, not floundering through the best guesses of all of us who may have ideas).

Suggestions include the typical cache and cookies, try another browser, what os and browser are you using, pointing out bugs like the scroll bar, raising concerns about the removal of functioning tools like manage PVR, debate between each other over definitions and what we may mean when we mention a technical term, discussion of the suggestions on the purple notice and none of them do anything to help and so forth.

Concerns about putting things out too fast (again), questions about testing quality, questions about possible relationship of authentication systems as we see similiar issues on other pages, recommendations on order of opening, logging in, logging out, not opening more than one authenticated site at a time and on and on, and during that time, we have had feedback from Moderators twice that it has been reported.

The only straight up response I got by a team leader was what I reported earlier.

But a couple of comments after reviewing code elements - yes, definitely, Rogers is using browser authentication or browser/os sniffing, and looking deeper into the code (you can look at code in your browser anytime by right clicking and view source, or element - you can't hurt anything, but you can run a debug on it if you understand it - I watched the code generating the purple page but it is being drawn from a feature set in an outside database, so don't know what is throwing into that looping process - leave that to the programmers - they "should" know how to debug it in a formal debugger.

I asked my daughter who is a program engineer for a company in the states to take a peek at the code in Xfinity Comcast browsers and apps, and I would tell her what I saw in the Rogers ones.

Xfinity Comcast has no reference to browser type at all anywhere in their coding - it is not browser specific in anyway at all.

There are two features that exist in modern browser programming, one caled Browser use agents that draw inbedded code from all browsers to set formatting, windows size, objects like button clicks and so forth (no reference to browser needed, but some speciality companies may decide to use a feature unique to a single browser, typically for enterprise setups, not for outside world use).

The second is feature detection, such as search a source authentication database.

In the Rogers pages, one of the things that stands out is the huge amount of advertisement calls from things like doublick.com, googleads, and a few others, but lots of reference to old JAVA code modules and so forth.

So the best I can say, is given the current state of programming of front end web access to authentication modules, then queries for your authentication and your unique feature set to be shown, it is a bit archaic.

I can now see why thinks like a scroll bar would not be present - in browser feature set design coding, the browser sizing, screen sizing of your device is automatically detected and adjusts automatically to things like Zoom, text fonts, standard calls to Windows dll's to create headers, min, max, close buttons, basically the layout - you design it on one browser, it runs pretty much fine on all other.

The other thing I found in the code is that Firefox is in the list of currently inactive browsers (just means once it detects that, it sends you to that page about browsers and stops all processing any further as it doesn't need to anything further, except have you close it and go to Chrome).

Although Firefox is in the list, so is IE11 - not IE10, so somebody coded to place the logos for each browser and put text under the logos, and coded to lay them out, but nobody proofed it for spelling of IE11, nor did they notice that Firefox was not included - the programmer would have adjusted the layout for the additional logo to make it look balanced.

I am still left wondering about the current state of in house programming teams and external support from external service products, as I know the company being used for authentication that the most common criticism is that it is a complex feature set to get set up in the first place, with a large learning curve, but once you have it is is pretty rock solid, used all around the globe.

But not being able to have something ready for all browsers, a simple thing, even if using old code which includes turn on vertical scroll bar, and adjust to accommodate browser and device (old school programming, but that is what I am seeing in the element codes) that these are now set, same as I saw the same thing a couple of summers back with MyRogers when they said initially we only support IE11 - no official statement - I got that when I called in - remember how Firefox and Chrome were coded at 75% magnification, and we couldn't see the buttons for view/print bill.  We also heard a lot of clear our cache, try a different browser, I don't see it on my computer (not surprising when I asked what browsers do you use - IE11 at the time while I have never used IE11, and I avoid Edge, except Microsoft is kind of forcing it down our throats again as in past years and I am an insider tester, so each new test build that comes to me resets my browsers again.  But they told us that would be the case.

So I leave it to the programming teams - a lot of this begins to seem to circle back to the move from the original work around the time of single user sign in - which always has growing pains in any implementation, all the stuff around Apps and Navigatr compatibility, all the changes in security and protocols and certificates for web security and web browsing, the Yahoo issues and the rapid changes after purchase from Verizon and I am sure other things too.

But for now, I will keep with my trial and error - I have debugged the possible issues, and so far, my debugging and thoughts that authentication and changes in design in the email side appears to be correct, and this looks very familiar.

Good night everyone - I know none of this is of any help in dealing with the issue, but at least it seems that we are finally hearing that number one we are getting a more consistent message that there is an issue, that they tried some things that didn't work as expected, and they are working on it.

So like RATV - coming soon - soon to be defined!

Your local retired software design and team lead and Project Management trained in IT implementations, and my best crack at backwards engineering a bug with access to the direct tools - just watch what happens, a skilled programmer can sketch it out in what is known as psuedo-code and flow charts and suggest where the problem may most likely lie.

Bruce