Signing in to the forum

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Signing in to the forum

@57

I suggest only those things that work for me. It might not work for you depending on browser version used, and how it handles cache. Exiting the browser won't generally delete cookies unless this option is selected by a user. So I don't see how it can help, nonetheless restarting a browser is at the same simplicity level as deleting its cookies. Smiley LOL So I don't get it why you consider it more advanced or complicated, and in most cases its unnecessary anyway. Btw, this glitch is not sporadic, I see it reliably reproducible in my browser over and over.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@arnym21 I agree with @57

I got the error screen just now signing in, so I closed my browser, then re-opened it again and all went well. It's quick and simple if I don't have any other tabs or windows open. In the past I've deleted Rogers cookies. I'll do whatever is quickest and most convenient at the time. Nevertheless, it's still a pain and Rogers needs to fix it. I've never had to do that on any other website (other than deleting cookies after exceeding 10 visits to some news sites).

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@arnym21 wrote:

...Btw, this glitch is not sporadic, I see it reliably reproducible in my browser over and over.

Are you talking about signing into the forum or are you talking about the "Authentication Failed" notice?

The "Authentication Failed" notice has certainly been sporadic for everyone else reporting on that issue...  If I don't encounter the "Authentication Failed" notice, I can sign into the forum every time, without issue and I did so for 12 days between "notices". 

I've been encountering it mostly with Firefox, but also using Safari. Others have reported it using Chrome.  Which browser are you using?  I do not clear cache or cookies and never have.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Just for the sake of mentioning that I still have the problem - I have done all steps suggested, I clear cache and cookies, and it remains complete hit and miss - 5 tries this time around.

Doesn't matter what browser I use - since we are hearing nothing back from teams through moderators, I will give benefit of the doubt that they are still working on it, but I don't comprehend how they could apprehend what steps to take to remediate if programmers can't replicate consistently (we can't), or can see the code and exact actions we take and they once would log into our computers to support us to diagnosis these issues, but don't think that is there any more

For now,  those of us with time, poke away at trying to get logged in consistently.

We plug along.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

I would attest from my experience using multiple browsers (systematically testing various suggestions), and my point is that I can not reliably predict the login failure, I cannot replicate it, nor can I replicate any suggested fix in a consistent manner.

Each time I log in is a surprise for me and at this point I am getting kind of tired of it and wonder just when the team responsible for this site login is going look through it and come up with a solution - it has been quite anumber of weeks so far.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

@57

I currently prefer Firefox 57b 64-bit (which is a deeply optimized Chrome) as the fastest browser with best cache handling to date. I also prefer to delete cookies rather than restart browser due to usually having multiple tabs open, so restart would require to reload each page either at startup or at making the tab active (FF). Try unchecking "Remember password" or such option, and see if it helps. Not sure if Rogers site is optimized for FF since lately everyone was eyeing Chrome, but I view it as a resource hog in daily browsing unless you need its specific features like on-the-fly page translation. Edge is deeply optimized for video content watching, but not very good with cache handling. This bug may be caused by the Rogers cookie mis-structuring or not adhering to web standards.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@arnym21 wrote:

@57

I currently prefer Firefox 57b 64-bit (which is a deeply optimized Chrome) as the fastest browser with best cache handling to date.

Going by support for the new rogersanyplacetv.com page, Rogers doesn't look like they will be supporting Firefox anymore at all and only has Chrome support under development.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@arnym21

You didn't answer my question in the previous post.

Are you talking about signing into the forum or are you talking about the "Authentication Failed" notice?

I don't have "remember me" activated.  Also, as I and other members have stated in this thread, the cookies or cache have no effect whatsoever on the "Authentication Failed" notice.

arnym21 wrote: This bug may be caused by Rogers (snip..) not adhering to web standards.

Now that I would definitely agree with since there should be no reason to limit anything on Rogers to certain browsers as they have.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Finally!!!    Three different times I tried to sign in today and until now all I could read was the Authentication blurb.  I should have it memorized by now.  🙄

I Plan to Stick Around

@OLDYELLR wrote:

Going by support for the new rogersanyplacetv.com page, Rogers doesn't look like they will be supporting Firefox anymore at all and only has Chrome support under development.

It looks very strange to me, especially mentioning old IE10. This issue needs to be addressed with Rogers executives since its quite important given broad FF popularity, huge progress with FF Quantum, and its based on Chrome core anyway.