Signing in to the forum

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Signing in to the forum

Personally I've never accessed Community Forums without signing in because it would be really confusing, showing all posts as 'unread'.  But that is  a serious problem if one can start replying to a post anonymously only to lose everything they've written.  Absolutely every other board I've encountered will prompt you to sign in or register if you try to post or reply. At least this is one of the few that saves your post or reply to be restored later if you happen to be kicked off. But you do have to be signed in.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Advisor

@57 wrote:

@CommunityHelps : The issue of being able to reply to a post without being logged in needs to be fixed.  I just spent some time replying to a post not realizing that I was logged out.  This time the post didn't "go through" and I wasn't offered the option to "login" when I clicked "post".  My time was wasted.

One should not be able to compose a reply if you're not logged in.

I've never accessed this forum and browsed messages without signing in for the simple reason that they would all be "new" and I'm only interested in ones which are new for me, not an anonymous visitor. Unless, of course I want to comment on something I've seen earlier, in which case I use the search function. But virtually every other board I've encountered requires you to sign in or register if you try to post or reply. Allowing a user to do that without signing in or registering and then kicking their anonymous post out into cyberspace is irresponsible and bad coding.

This is my second attempt at replying and I had also added that I liked this board's feature where it saved your text if you got disconnected for some reason and you could restore your reply when you signed in again. But guess what, when I tried to post my reply I kept getting this over and over again.

try again.jpg

So I closed Community Forums and signed in again. When I went to answer this post again, there was no saved text to restore. Smiley Embarassed

I'm a Senior Advisor

Okay, now I see the post that apparently had an error and needed correcting. Post 361 above.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I have always signed in before composing a post, but after so many times of being automatically sign out and not being able to sign in again is frustrating.  Until that problem is stabilized the solution appears to be, to compose then hope to  sign in after hitting "post".

I'm a Senior Advisor

As indicated above, this forum's ability save and restore unfinished posts is not infallible. If you have composed a long post, orare even in the middle of one, it's wise to save the text to Notepad just in case something goes wrong and you lose it.

Well I'll be darned.  That 's unusual .  Thats the first time that has happened for me.  Maybe a bot got past the captchas and corrupted the system. or maybe this is upgraded service as a result of the new round of price increases .

I always stay logged out until i see something to reply to and then when I hit reply on a post , it would take me to log in and then it would automatically return me to the post that I wanted to reply to ( but of course that ability was lost for me with the last round of changes ) after I logged in . never until today could I write a reply with out login . 

But when I was banned for a bit I could not even lurk  on another computer from the same IP address  ...I'm sure this must make sense to someone . Smiley Happy

But it did bring me back here automatically on login  as opposed to leaving me in the middle of my Rogers advertising like it was there for a bit . and NO CAPTCHAS  ....LOL

For me it is an improvement  in  keystrokes but definitely  an illogical  trail to follow . 

And if I  actually log out  and go to a different site and then come back 10 minutes later ,I am showed as still being logged in here ... which of course I am not .  So that hasn't changed .   LOL 

This is Rogers  .  Smiley LOL 

Edited to add .....Cool though ... to log in by replying to a post it only takes two  keystrokes (not counting the typing in the reply )  as opposed to logging in to my Rogers that seems to take a half dozen  strokes and a couple different  screens . 

I'm a Senior Advisor

Something is always changing  with regards to signing in. Recently a couple or more times  I've been taken straight to my notifications when clicking my bookmark without having to sign in, apparently I was never signed out. As I've said before, if there's anything consistent about signing in to Community Forums, it's that it's inconsistent.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Today I got the following message after signing in to see my notifications:

You don't have any notifications. Try posting a new topic or question to see some activity here.

This is false since I have a lot of notifications.  This morning I simply clicked on my Avatar and then Notifications. This afternoon I had to click Avatar/Notifications several times before getting to my notifications.  Not sure what's up with this.

The one good thing recently is that I haven't seen Captchas much...