cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for improvement.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Since Community Forums has been running well for the past few months, with few complaints, I would like to bring up an old request I had for improvement.  Just about all the forums I visit have this feature, but not here. Would it be possible to add a "Top" button at the bottom of an opened forum page so that one can jump to the top instead of scrolling or hitting <Ctrl-Home>?

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Request for improvement.

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)

Thank you @OLDYELLR for bringing this idea back up.

I'm going to work on getting this feature built into the Community.

I'll let you know when I know more.

RogersDarrell

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@RogersDarrell wrote:

Thank you @OLDYELLR for bringing this idea back up.

I'm going to work on getting this feature built into the Community.

I'll let you know when I know more.

RogersDarrell

How is this coming? Just about every forum I frequent has a "Top" button to avoid scrolling. I really miss it here. Should be an easy job.

RogersDarrell

Hey @OLDYELLR 

It's on my list, among many others. Unfortunately, changes aren't so "easy" to make.  I wish it was as simple as throwing down some code, but there things we must work through; like statements of work, budget, design and level after level of approvals when operating a branded page.

But I haven't forgotten, and I hope to be able to take some polls to find out what changes or upgrades all members would like to see.

RogersDarrell

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

This sub-forum was created for questions how to navigate Community Forums, to report  bugs and suggestions for improvements. For quite a while now it's been bug-free and running smoothly. Signing in has been a bit awkward, requiring two steps, but I guess that's how Rogers wants it.

One complaint I still have, and I've brought it up at least a couple of times before, is the lack of a "To the Top" button to get to the top  of the page like all other forums have. On a computer I have to do a lot of scrolling using the mouse or else use <Ctrl-Home> on the keyboard. I imagine  people using miniature devices like tablets or smartphones have the same problem. Since there don't seem to be any other items that need fixing (to me at least) please put a priority on this.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I imagine  people using miniature devices like tablets or smartphones have the same problem. 

While waiting for this to happen, I have a few comments.

1. On a tablet or phone, simply double tap above the URL.  Simple.

2. On a computer browser, there are many keyboard shortcuts on the web for navigating around web pages - just search for browser keyboard shortcuts.  

One of my favourites is command-uparrow, which takes me to the top and command-downarrow, which takes me to the next article down on a web page (on a Mac). I'm sure there's something similar for PCs.

3. If you wish to not touch your keyboard and only use your mouse, click and hold the mouse on the right scroll bar near the top of the screen. This will very quickly scroll you to the top of the page, usually in less than a second.  Same can be done to get to the bottom of the web page.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Good suggestions @57 . I've been using #2 and #3.  Ctrl-↑ and Ctrl-↓ works on a PC.

Nevertheless, since a moderator just invited suggestions, I thought I'd bring up the subject again. All other boards have the button, why not this one?

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 3 in conversation