cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to navigate the changes in the layouts of the new forum?

BS
I'm a senior advisor

How to navigate with the changed layouts in the forum

How I used to move around

In the past, my practice has been to look at the 4 latest topics, which often stay the same for quite a while, but I then usually go to the listing of all recent activities.

I also go to posts or likes that are shown on my notifications above my user icon.

What is happening now

Often when I click a new topic, it takes me to some arbitrary reply in the thread and since I have my threads sorted to put the newest ones at the top of the first page, I then find page one and go to the top to find the most recent activities on the board.

Question

Is there a setting that will allow me to go directly to the recent post, predictability (sometimes it does, but often it doesn't) - I click on the title or re of the item in the listing.

Compliment

I do like that see more option to see the whole post. I don't use it because the font and absence of line breaks, and font features like bold, and the use of headings in bold do not appear in this view and no double spacing and so forth, so for my visual and reading abilities, I cannot read text in that kind of presentation.

But it is nice to be able to open it up and see more, just not easily readable.

Bruce

7 REPLIES 7

Re: How to navigate the changes in the layouts of the new forum?

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@BS I do not see any recent change in the Forum layout. What I do, after signing in, is click my avatar at the top right and Notifications (the bell) to see the topics I'm following, then read and reply if necessary, After that I click the forums I follow in the right panel and any topics in bold if I'm interested. When finished with each forum I mark it All Read so that next time only topics with new replies come up bold.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

BS
I'm a senior advisor

@OLDYELLR  Thanks for your experience.

Maybe something in my settings when they moved to the full post with click for more in the list.

thanks for your feedback. I am learning to live with it since I couldn't figure it out anyway.

Bruce

arnym21
I plan to stick around

@BS wrote:

In the past, my practice has been to look at the 4 latest topics, which often stay the same for quite a while, but I then usually go to the listing of all recent activities.

I prefer traditional Table of Content, which allows pretty fast look through sections I'm currently interested in, and the list of recent topics in these sections. For some reason Rogers forum makes it quite challenging to simply look at the Table of Content. I first though its done to increase login counts, since without login in orientation on the forum is hardly possible, which is surprising if aiming to attract new subscribers through forums. May be due to a lot of negativity, which always comes with huge "territory" of service, they decided to camouflage the forum structure? Even after login in, its not simple if at all possible to have a bird look at forum content and find desired sections.

I think Lithium is pushing pseudo research here, showing how to minimize flow of negativity impact by concealing forum structure. In fact it can turn both ways, either hurting or improving revenue, and the subject matter is quite complex to dissect. Some people lack basic culture, and once facing elementary issue try to present it in a catastrophic way to get attention. Many don't understand end of year is a golden time for any company to make money, and new service glitches are inevitable due to resources overload.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Since this topic started, the login screen and procedure has changed. I'm guessing Rogers sought professional help from Lithium.  Even though this morning I got the maintenance screen, I was still able to navigate to the bottom,  click Community Forums, then sign in at the top. I then go to my Notifications. When I'm through with those I go to the right hand navigation panel and click the forums I follow and go to the bold topics (new posts). The only thing I'd like to see improved would be that the forums on the right with new posts would also show up bold.

arnym21
I plan to stick around

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I go to the right hand navigation panel and click the forums I follow and go to the bold topics (new posts).

My problem with the above approach is it allows to see only topics I already participate in. But I want to see the entire forum structure (Table of Content) with post stats to figure out, what sections and topics are now most popular with members, and what issues they discuss the most may be interesting for me. I'm less interested in "recent forum posts", since many are of negligible value for me. Hiding entire forum structure and post stats here is in sharp contrast with vast majority of other company forums, where navigation through forum from bird view  is quite simple, and all stats and popular post & topic trends are evident. Smiley Happy

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Just so we're looking at the same thing, this is the right hand navigation panel I see, equivalent to a table of contents. Clicking the "+" signs expands each section. You will not see the Resident Expert Board at the bottom where REs sometimes post. 

panel.jpg

arnym21
I plan to stick around

Thanks for pointing to that panel, I was assuming it leads to Rogers service features rather than forum sections. Suspect, other members may be confused as well.

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation