cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum Login has changed

roxandtreez
I'm a senior contributor

Something changed in the forums overnight.  My usual process is to log on to MyRogers, check my internet usage graph, then scroll down to the Community Forums link at the bottom of the page.

When I tried this today, I was not signed on to the Forums when the page came up.  I clicked the signon link at the top of the page, and the signon page came up for a second but did not allow me to enter my info then it brought up the forums and I was not signed on.

I went back to MyRogers, signed out, and then clicked the forum link at the bottom of the page.  When I clicked the Sign In link, this time it allowed me to sign in and the forums worked properly (except for the issue below).  There is a thread from last year that describes this same problem, so maybe last night  changes reverted a previously fixed issue.

Next, my icon at the top of the page after I successfully signed in showed 4 items.  When I clicked on the icon, it showed that I had 4 items next to the "bell" icon.  When I clicked it, it showed 4 references to my userid by @57  in the Updated Navigatr thread, but when I checked the thread, there was only one post by 57 that referenced me.  The only explanations I have for this is that 57 duplicated the post 3 times and the duplicates were deleted, or he edited the post 3 times and each generated a reference. 57 is a fairly experienced user and seems unlikely to do this, but would that explain the results?

Mac OS X 10.11.3 (El Capitan)  

Chrome Version 49.0.2623.110 (64-bit)

***Edited Labels*** 

154 REPLIES 154

Re: Forum Login has changed

RogersRoland
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

@57,

Silly question, are you signed in when you attempt to reply to a post? Also, how often does this occur?

@RogersRoland:

I am not signed in when I attempt to reply. When working properly, I would be taken to the login screen, then to the "Reply to Message" screen.

This morning after hitting reply I was taken to the iPhone/Continue Red screen (not the black iPhone screen). After hitting "Continue/Go to Homepage", I was taken to login, then to "Reply to Message", so that wasn't so bad, but still one step more than it should be.

In the past few days since the iPhone has been on your website, it's different almost every time I try to reply.

- sometimes it works properly taking me directly to login and "Reply to Message"

- sometimes it takes me to "iPhone/Continue" and then to login.

- sometimes it takes me to "iPhone/Continue" and then to MyRogers, then to login (but doesn't log me in to the forums properly), then I have to click on the forums link at the bottom of the page, then I need to find the post that I was trying to reply to, then I need to login again (which then works) then I'm finally at the "Reply to Message" screen.

- if I try to login via the blue link at the top right of forum pages, I often have to click it twice to get to login, so I usually hit "reply" instead .

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I knew it was too good to be true. Finally signing in to Community Forums was fixed and worked. The last couple of days it's gone several steps back. The iPhone 7 spam is back in the loop and itagain takes several attempts to sign in. Smiley Mad

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

@57 @OLDYELLR

We too have had kinks when attempting to log in. We have reported the issue and hopefully it will be resolved soon 🙂

RogersRoland

For the past few days, the login has performed properly. I click "reply", it takes me to the login screen, and then I'm taken to the "Reply to Message" screen. No more iPhone, MyRogers, or other forum pages.  Thanks.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I do it differently because going to Community Forums withouut signing in shows everything as "unresd" and there's only certain threads I folllow. I sign in (which presently again requires two tries) and then click my avatar to get notifications for new replies in threads I'm following.  After that I look for other threads with new replies in the subforums Ithat interest me.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When I sign out of the forum it takes me to the Rogers Consumer Home page.  Was it always this way?  I thought it used to take me to the forum if I was in the forum.

No biggie, just wondering...

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I've never signed out of the forum, just closed the tab or window. I will this time and see where it takes me and report back.

BTW, it's still taking me at least two attempts to sign in to the forum. Anytime it looked like it was fixed and I mentioned it, it reverted back to the way it was broken. I've finally resigned myself to the fact that it won't be fixed and I won't talk about it.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@57 I was finished with the Forum and didn't see a button at the top to sign out. Maybe that's why I never did it.  I use Firefox on Windows 7. Maybe those Mac things are different.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You click on your username at the top right and then scroll down to sign out.

jays77
I'm a trusted contributor
I usually sign out from the forum and it has always returned me to the 'Rogers' page.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@57 wrote:

You click on your username at the top right and then scroll down to sign out.

Yes! There it is. When I sign out it takes me to the Rogers main page, like @jays77 said.

Signing back in gives me my email and password screen, but takes a very long time, after which I get the popup asking which account I want to choose. After that I I have to scroll down to Community Forums and click it to finally get in the Forum. This actually takes longer than clicking my Community Forums bookmark and then clicking the Sign In icon at the top twice.  I'll just stick with that if Rogers doesn't want to fix it. 

What's wrong with just closing the tab or window instead of signing out?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

What's wrong with just closing the tab or window instead of signing out?

That's what I used to do, however, when I tried to sign in (or reply to a post) later in the day, I found that the website was often "confused" sometimes taking me to the Rogers account side, sometimes require several sign-in attempts, etc.  This was perhaps because I was still "partially" signed in.

Since I've been signing out, I have not had any issues.  I don't login the same way you do. I use the following bookmark and then scan for recent posts/threads of interest.  If I don't wish to respond, I do nothing and leave the site. If I wish to reply to a post, I click on "Reply" and get taken immediately to the "Reply to message" page after logging in (with one attempt).

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes

To each his own.  It may just be co-incidence that I haven't had any issues since I started signing out, but it works for me.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

The Forum signs you out after an hour of inactivity, I believe. After I close the tab or window and then go back to my bookmark for Community Forums, I'm not signed in anymore and I have to go through the 2 attempts all over again. This leads me to believe that my bookmark isn't so good anymore.  I use Firefox. Just as an experiment, I clicked Notification Feed - Rogers Community in my Most Visited tab and it took me straight to the email/password screen and the latest Notification Feed after signing in.  I made that my bookmark now.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Okay, three days ago I made the Notification Feed my bookmark for Community Forums. That's the first place I go to anyway after signing in. So far it's been working not bad, but not perfect. It always brings up my email/password page, but sometimes clicking that just brings it up again. If I wait a bit before signing in, the page refreshes, so maybe my slow computer is a factor.  Anyway, it's fewer steps and less frustrating having to click the sign-in icon over and over again in my original Community Forums bookmark.  (Supposedly that's a Firefox feature Lithium has not fixed.)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

For the past few days, instead of going directly to the "Reply to Message" page after I click "Reply" and then log in, I get a pop-up asking me to choose an account (I am forced to have two accounts with Rogers - one for PAYGo, one for Cable/Internet/Home Phone). After selecting one of the accounts, I get taken to the "Reply to Message" page.

I have no idea why this pop-up is coming up in the forum. I'm not trying to log into my accounts.  It's only one extra click but why?

RogersRoland
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @57,

Although I was able to reproduce this, I am not familiar with this behaviour as we tend to always sign in prior to browsing. Based on your post, it seems this has never happened in the past.  Can you confirm when this started to occur and if/or you are doing anything differently?

Thanks.

RogersRoland

@RogersRoland: It's probably been a few days since this started and I don't do anything differently.  No biggie, just something new that I thought I'd report.

RogersRoland
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

@57,

As I think about it somemore I relized that on my personal account, I know the account prompt occurs regardless when/where I try to sign in. Sadly this maybe due to the system requiring an account selected before directing to the page. Odd that it never used to appear before for you.

RogersRoland 

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Now that I have changed my Community Forums bookmark to my Notifications page, I get my email/password screen for signing in right away. However, I do get a popup to choose either my wireless or cable account and it doesn't matter which one I choose, but it is an extra step o get to the forum.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

For the past couple of days, if I hit "Reply" I'm presented with some sort of Black Friday Screen regarding keeping my place in line, rather than being presented with the "Reply to Message" page.  Eventually (after many seconds) I get to the "Reply to Message" page, but I have no idea why I get the bouncing jelly beans and the Black Friday message.

I'm guessing the Black Friday interference will disappear whenever the sale is over, but it's just annoying to see it when it's not necessary.

Topic Stats
  • 154 replies
  • 34 Likes
  • 10 in conversation