Captcha Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Captcha Issues

@User14 wrote:

I doubt that "Logging into the Community Forums" has been made difficult by design, but it has not been addressed for at least two years that I can see. 

But if the problem is a result of something that Rogers does to generate revenue  that would explain it being ignored .  What that would be I have no idea .

I have been to enough bulletin boards .... and at least one other run  by lithium , that I believe what is going on here is strictly Rogers related  and if they don't want to be bothered fixing it and you can't find a work around  .... may as well pack it in here. The other bulletin boards are so simple to access compared to this one ...it is border line ridiculous

I'm using chrome ,I think and I have the home page for this forum bookmarked ...that way I don't have to even log in to catch up only to post. I clicked on reply on your post and the sign in came up which i clicked on and did the captcha (I have one EVERY time) . .  It took me to the My ROGERS  account selection page (two weeks or so ago it started doing this,...before that it took me to the page to reply to your post automatically)  I clicked on the back button and it took me to the reply page to respond to your post and showed me as logged in and able to respond to your post  . 

I have really had no major issues with this procedure for the last couple years that have not been resolved by just going away and coming back next day or a couple days later . I learned a while ago that the clearing cache and deleting cookies seemed to be just a waste of time and an excuse that Rogers staff  seem to use to get you to spend more time here it seems like . Maybe the more times you log in here the more money they make somehow ...I don't know,  but that works for me to log in and works pretty consistently for me. Smiley Happy

@barndoor wrote:

Maybe the more times you log in here the more money they make somehow ...I don't know,  but that works for me to log in and works pretty consistently for me. Smiley Happy

You think Roger's is that Machiavellian.  If this gets removed for not being on topic, you may be right. Smiley Wink  

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, for sure, my ability to simplify my descriptions is deteriorating as my cognitive disability and dyslexia becomes more engaged.  Oh well.  That is part of why I post less than I used to.

And yes, I remember the days of 57 and me not being recognized as users in the PM system.

I think the challenge for us that go to the forums regularly, post or don't post, we get confronted frequently by every change that we have to learn or that didn't work well. Then we figure out workarounds, attempt to communicate what the issue is and sometimes they get fixed, sometimes, we just learn to live with it and treat it as a pain in the neck that we have to put up with to do what we want to do.

Ahh - the joys of Lithium and the ongoing challenges of the single point of authorization that has been put in place for the forums, our accounts, Anyplace, other apps, and logging into the outside online media companies.  It has been a bit of growing pains since they imlemented single point login systems, yet this technology isn't new, it has been around since I worked with consultants on security systems and that is going on 20 years now.

So, yes, you may be right, my descriptions may be beyond the level of a tech to comprehend and work with.

But I do hope they take the issue seriously, it certainly seems to be driving long term and frequent contributors a little bit nuts.  And yes, we are being checked to determine if we are a robot by a robot and the process is only as efficient (notice I didn't say intelligent) as the team that implements it.

As always, enjoy the forum and have a good weekend.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

Here is the link to the most recent version of reCaptcha v3.0

https://www.google.com/recaptcha/intro/v3.html

It is a nice slick presentation, it is also free to use - but they also acknowledge the following:

Hundreds of millions of CAPTCHAs are solved by people every day. reCAPTCHA makes positive use of this human effort by channeling the time spent solving CAPTCHAs into annotating images and building machine learning datasets. This in turn helps improve maps and solve hard AI problems.

So, the security feature is free for Rogers or anyone to use on their login screens, certainly pushed by Google as the best thing next to sliced bread, but they do acknowledge that "our effort" is helping imjprove maps and solve hard AI problems.

"Creation of Value

Help everyone, everywhere - One CAPTCHA at a time."

So let's be happy, everyone of those pictures is helping with maps and solving hard AI problems.  Just a mere use of our time to help out with others.  So is the priority of Google security (that is questioned by other experts), or using us to validate and improve their recognition software or AI process, or as I like to call it, Automated interaction, not artificial intelligence.

Food for thought -  Also maybe being signed into Google makes the feature more efficient - I am logged into Google no matter what browser I use.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

A deeper dive in the code - Rogers sites are highly embedded with javascript modules to run just about everything.

https://www.sitepoint.com/disable-javascript-option/

In the attached article for those who want to go a bit deeper technically, it speaks the whole issue of disabling java script and also provides some explanation why Chrome tends to be their browser of choice at the moment - it has been optimized for javascript, but even they are beginning to give users the ability to block javascript.

The challenge for using Firefox with Rogers is their dependence on javascript - popups and javascript are blocked by default and you have to give use the shield in the top corner you click on it to disable blocking on the site.

Firefox is set up to opt out by default and then individually log-in as you choose to - I can't run the login and forums without disabling javascript blocking in firefox.

Edge doesn't make disabling easy.  So things like captcha, designed by Google and optimized by Google for Chrome.  reCaptcha can be used on any browser, but in the case of Rogers use, a look at the web code, they have imbedded the API for reCaptcha into javascript modules, and the login screen is also imbedded, so there is a risk with bookmarks and on phones and tablets, or poor web connections the modules can fail and force us to start over again.

Theoretically I understand the issues, but I am not a programmer anymore and javascript as suggested in this article can be optimized for HTML 5.  So let's hope they are moving there to improve our experience.

Bruce

@User14 wrote:

You think Roger's is that Machiavellian. 

I think that implies  a craftiness  or cleverness  being applied  ....I think this  is more a case of following a possible revenue stream and giving it more importance than the convenience of your customers ... just simple business priorities rather  than any thing  more complicated.

Topic Stats
  • 55 replies
  • 16 Likes
  • 10 in conversation